The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-15-2007, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Default O MY, Xtreme Redwood

There have been several threads about redwood tops on this forum, so, I thougth I would post a review of my new Millenium Rewood toped Yamamoto OMY.

Tony Yamamoto is a fairly new luthier builiding out of his home in Concord, CA. I first became aware of Tony's work while reading a report on a local luthiers gathering in that area. It was reported that he specialized in the OM size guitar which was exactly what I was looking for. Turns out he works exclusively through a guitar store in Livermore CA. called Fine Fretted Friends, and it proprietor, Michael Ferucci, a really great guy. I was able to meet with Tony and Michael to demo a couple of Tony's guitars and soon discovered that Tony is building impressive guitars at an impressive price point. So, we started talking about the possibility of building a custom OM for me.

I wanted to use mahogany for the back & sides. Tony showed me a piece of Beeswing hog that was just what I had in mind. He then said he likes to pair hog with cedar. I said how about redwood for a little more headroom? At the mention of redwood, Michael's eyes lit up and said that he might have a source for a truly special redwood top. Sure enought, after 2 months, Michael was able to secure a piece of genuine Sequoiadendron giganteum, or, Giant Redwood, the so called "millenium redwood" that is, at the very least, a thousand years old. The result follows.

While this guitar has plenty of volume, it has a delicate, almost feminine and extremely clear voice which sustains for what seem like forever. The bass notes, while not powerful, are satisfyingly complete. All this coupled with the punchy midrange one would expect from the Redw/hog combo. The tone is rich at the lightest touch. It is feather light and squirms in my arms like a baby. I have to take my clip-on tuner off when I play because of the loud rattle it makes trying to hang on to the headstock.

Tony's fit and finish are first class. Very clean in all aspects. The bloodwood binding and pau abalone rosset, position markers, and logo were my contribution to the project as well as the 13 fret configuration for increased volume with fret access. Michael was great to work with. A real plus was a 60 day or less build time with no deposit. Michael simply said, "we are going to build it, if you like it you can buy it, if not, I will sell it through the store." That took all the pressure of the "leap of faith" ordering process.

It is just a matter of time untill word gets out about Tony's guitars. All in all, a highly satisfying guitar buying experience.

Here is Tony's link: http://www.yamamotoguitar.com/

Here is a link to more pictures:http://imageevent.com/vmleoni/apmyam...24&w=4&x=0&p=3
Old 04-15-2007, 01:45 PM

That's probably the prettiest redwood top I've ever seen. The entire guitar is beautiful.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:47 PM

That redwood guitar is exceptionally beautiful.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:12 PM
A Santa Fe Artist

Absolutely gorgeous. Love that flamey redwood.

The Artist's Mission Blog
Coastland Tampa
My MySpace

Cornerstone SJ #007 - Camatillo/Sinker Redwood
Taylor 815c 1984 Lemon Grove - Brazilian/Sitka
Yamaha LL-11 - Beach Guitar - EIR/Engelmann
Peavey Grind Bass BXP NTB
Old 04-15-2007, 02:55 PM

Thumbs up Redwood... a Thousand Years Old

That's just stunning!
I'll bet it sounds like it looks...
Congrats!
Dave
Old 04-15-2007, 03:14 PM

I have to say that is one of the most aesthetically pleasing guitars I have ever seen. I hope it plays and sounds just as lovely.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:36 PM

VERY nice!!
Gotta love that top....
I am working on a redwood top too, a semi double Redwood/Lutz.

www.cornerstoneguitar.com

Ukuleles...
www.cornerstoneukes.com
Old 04-16-2007, 08:24 AM

Gorgeous guitar my friend!
I too am particularly fond of redwood and must say that I don't believe I have ever seen a redwood top as unique as this one.
I am also a sucker for a nice section of sapwood and this one does not disappoint.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:29 AM

That is unbelievable. And the Cornerstone top is looking like it will be just as beautiful.
Sure miss my GSMC......
Old 04-16-2007, 09:17 AM

Those tops are beautiful. I mean, like, AMAZINGLY beautiful. The original post said the bass wasn't powerful.. I wonder what a redwood GS would be like?
Old 04-16-2007, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

You guys are killing me. Great looking woods.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngtaylorguy View Post
Those tops are beautiful. I mean, like, AMAZINGLY beautiful. The original post said the bass wasn't powerful.. I wonder what a redwood GS would be like?
Just waiting on esundell to post a soundclip:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...walnut+redwood
Sure miss my GSMC......
Old 04-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Me

Any idea where I can get some of that redwood. It is absolutely stunning.
I'm feeling a strong attack of WAS.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngtaylorguy View Post
Actually, I said that while the bass wasn't powerful, it is satisfyingly compete. This is an OM afterall, not a dread or jumbo. Tony has managed to get an incredible amount of sound out of this relavtively small bodied guitar. The bass is just that, satisfying. It leaves you completly satisfied. The redwood gives the sound a wonderfully broad pallet that cedar offer, but with a lot more headroom. I have yet to overdrive this top.

Also, Tony has come up with a unique neck joint system that gets the action just exactly right. He also carves the neck just slightly off center for playing comfort. These two things in combination make this guitar play "like butter".

Also, it is just a matter of time before Tony's work gets the recognition it deserves and the attendant price increases that come with that recognition
Old 04-16-2007, 10:25 AM

I'd sure be nice to see a close-up of the top in the Yamamoto guitar (to be able to see the grain spacing). The second picture appears to be from a fast-growing redwood, perhaps something more contemporary? Either way, I love the sound of my redwood topped guitar and the look is fantastic. I'm sure both of those guitars (the top on and the soon-to-be one) are going to sound great!

2009 Taylor XXXV Baritone
2007 Taylor GS5e-12 String (Spruce and Mahogany)
2006 R. Taylor "MARS" (Redwood and Cocobolo)
2006 Breedlove ABJ250 SM4 (Acoustic Bass)
1997 Taylor 514c (w/ Fishman Ellipse Matrix Blend)

2 Turntables and a Microphone

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion