The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-12-2015, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Default China factories?

I've read and I don't know whether or not it's true, that there are are only a limited number of guitar factories in China and that each of them makes guitars for lots of brands. It's probably likely, since other companies do the same.

Any input? Anyone know any of the Chinese factories, where they are and what lines they make?
Old 03-12-2015, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

I think that's true for most things made anywhere. Like faucets for example, they build for more than one brand, to the specs of the distributers.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:12 AM

I know it's true for bicycles; seems likely. However, these sorts of industrial operations make items to specifications. That is, the parent company will send the exact specifications to the factory, which will manufacture the items to those specs.
Normally, there will be company representatives on hand to monitor the process and examine the finished product to make sure it conforms to what the parent company wants.

A lot of different companies have their low and medium grade items manufactured in this way, and the "top of the line" items manufactured here or in some other more-skilled labor market.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

I know it's common. I was more interested in finding out the main factories and what lines are made were.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
A lot of different companies have their low and medium grade items manufactured in this way, and the "top of the line" items manufactured here or in some other more-skilled labor market.

To even try to suggest that the Chinese labor market is "less-skilled" than other parts of the world is, frankly, laughable.

It is not the labor force, or it's skill. It is the mega corporations that determine the quality, or lack there of, of the products they produce. There are some very nice, quality instruments made in China.

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 03-12-2015, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

I believe the Mexican factories for Taylor, Fender, and Martin are dedicated factories, making only products for those companies.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 03-12-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasper View Post

To even try to suggest that the Chinese labor market is "less-skilled" than other parts of the world is, frankly, laughable.

It is not the labor force, or it's skill. It is the mega corporations that determine the quality, or lack there of, of the products they produce. There are some very nice, quality instruments made in China.
No one has made that suggestion yet. Lets not jump the gun. .......Mike
Old 03-12-2015, 08:05 AM

Eastman has its own factory.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:23 AM

There are US made products that are made at specialized assembly plants... Matchless amps use to be wired up at a US company that specialized in hand wiring electronic equipment. Mojotone makes speaker cabinets and enclosure for many amp brands. Ceriatone builds amps for many makers.

Many guitar companies use ghostbuilders for specialize guitars...

Martin guitars uses Mo-Mex in Mexico, Lots of diapers and such are made by a specialty pant in Waco, TX.

The sodas/pops are bottled by many different bottling companies and on and on...
Old 03-12-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
I think that's true for most things made anywhere. Like faucets for example, they build for more than one brand, to the specs of the distributers.
I remember reading Stefan Grossman say he was once amazed to discover that D'Addario made strings for a number of other makers, all with different and well-known names.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:37 AM

Location: Central Va, really, 4 miles from geographical center of the state

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
I know it's true for bicycles; seems likely. However, these sorts of industrial operations make items to specifications. That is, the parent company will send the exact specifications to the factory, which will manufacture the items to those specs.
Normally, there will be company representatives on hand to monitor the process and examine the finished product to make sure it conforms to what the parent company wants.

Sort of like the Lumber liquidators products I assume
Old 03-12-2015, 09:55 AM

A friends dad worked in a auto battery factory. All exactly the same guts.
Next 3000 are going to NAPPA, next 5000 are Sears, 7500 going to Walmart...
But I thought we were talking guitars
Old 03-12-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
I've read and I don't know whether or not it's true, that there are are only a limited number of guitar factories in China and that each of them makes guitars for lots of brands. It's probably likely, since other companies do the same.

Any input? Anyone know any of the Chinese factories, where they are and what lines they make?
Two biggest guitar factories in the world are South Korean Samick and Cort and they are making a lot of guitars for other brands.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:37 AM

Which is exactly why I don't buy Asian guitars.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 03-12-2015, 10:47 AM

There are likely several hundred guitar factories in Chinaat any given time. They come and go, the better ones have been in business for a years and are typically owned by Korean or Taiwanese that moved production to the mainland. the better ones tend to specialize in acoustic or electric or bluegrass instruments rather than trying to do everything. I've been to roughly two dozen of various quality. Some now set up booths at the CA NAMM show. A lot have been going to the Frankfurt show for years. Eastman, Music Link/AXL (Loar & Recording King), Samick, Cort, Epiphone own their own dedicated factories. The rest build for a number of brands around the world as well as doing their own factory brands. It's not uncommon to walk the floor at one and see a rack of guitars with a mixed bag of brand names. the same model of guitar could be sourced from several factories at the same time since demand on the model could be more than what any single factory can produce in a year. That can often be the source of inconsistent quality from one guitar to the next in the same model. Most of the factories are in two regions, southern China where Taiwanese developed factories started, and the northern Qingdao area where Korean factories first developed. It's typical as workers, managers etc.. become experience in one factory to leave and start their own, so more factories owned directly by Chinese have sprung up in those areas as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion