The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-10-2015, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

My Dad loved music, even though he could neither play nor sing... Jazz and Big Band stuff, mostly, while my Mom loved Frank and Ella and the like.

By the time I was 8, I really wanted to play saxophone; my older brother wanted a drumset and my older sister wanted a piano... my Father reasoned (and likely correctly) that we would drive both he and my Mother crazy if we had all that noise-making capability, so....

He bought ONE Silvertone $12 flat top steel string guitar for the three of us to share! That thing was such a piece of crap that I don't think I could even play it now; as I recall, the action at the octave was around 3/4"!!!

But, I had heard the Kingston Trio doing "Tom Dooley"; saw them live on some show (Ed Sullivan?), and I decided I would learn to play guitar. Taught myself and went slowly; actually, my older sister was really "the star" of the family, musically, when we were young.

I still remember playing a single note version of the melody of "Tom Dooley" at a Cub Scout Jamboree event as a part of a skit my Den was doing... I gagged it, horribly, and it seemed that everyone was laughing at me (I really don't think that was the case, just my interpretation of the events).

For decades, I would wonder "Why?" I tightened up so much when on stage; not my singing, but my playing. When I finally realized that, subconsciously, I was desperately trying NOT to make that same mistake I had made, way back when, that helped immeasurably, and I have been able to laugh at that old memory and move on.

Sometimes, I'll even play a little vamp in E, and outline the melody of that song, and purposefully "make a mistake" with it, just to get it over with! I believe "they" call that jazz...

Probably most amazing is that I chose to make singing, songwriting and playing guitar my path in life, despite that old memory haunting me...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-10-2015, 01:33 PM

Ricky Nelson sang "Travelin' Man" on the Ozzie and Harriet show on tv, and girls seemed to like it. I even wore my short hair like Ricky.
Guess it was a bromance.

Guitar seemed a better fit than the "bag of groceries" I was playing, the accordion. Every time I dragged that suitcase to a lesson I knew the guitar would make that easier.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:36 PM

February 10, 1964.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Since I was 14 - Peter, Paul and Mary, Ian and Sylvia, Kingston Trio, Carter Family. Both my parents listened to folk and country music. I told my aunt that I wanted a guitar for Christmas. She assumed I wanted an electric guitar because of the Beatles. She got me one on sale at Montgomery Ward but didn't realize that you had to have an amp! I sold it to my cousin and went out and bought a Hohner classical. I realized a couple of years later that playing Someday Soon on it - I just didn't look as cool as Judy Collins so I traded it for a Yamaha flattop steel string. Getting me through tough times I think was my biggest motivation. Music, especially playing guitar, always just seemed to soothe my soul.

Best,
Jayne
Old 03-10-2015, 01:57 PM

about 8 years ago, I saw the Yamaha C40 guitar in Costco, bought and tried and ignored it after 1 or 2 months. The motivation was back when I accidentally saw a 10-year old girl (Virginia Nguyen) playing acoustic guitar in youtube. And later Sungha Jung, John William, Eric Clapton .... ..... Thanks to them. I am a self taught guitar player now. I guess there is no way back..
Old 03-10-2015, 02:10 PM

I started playing at age 11, after a 3 year theoretical music course for children. I was motivated by my grand mother, who paid for most of it, to become a pianist, but a piano wasn't in reach moneywise.
The goal changed to becoming a guitarist under influence of pop music back in them days.
I can't really pinpoint a group or musician responsible for my choice, it was just music as a whole that attracted me to becoming a musician and if a guitar would have been too expensive also I'd probably would have tried drums or violin.

Ludwig
Old 03-10-2015, 02:17 PM

For me it was Julie. She liked music. A lot. I liked Julie. A lot. I also really loved music and might have ended up here anyway, but she really motivated my progress.

I was 16 so maybe that says it all.

The vehicle of choice was the christmas gift of a $99 Sears Les Paul copy that sounded like doggie doo and didn't stay in tune but I played the CRAP out of it. My dad's old banjo had grover tuners so that was an immediate improvement once they somehow got moved to my guitar.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 03-10-2015, 02:38 PM

1966, listening to the Beach Boys. My big brother left his "Stella" guitar home when he went into the service. It was summer and I had plenty of time on my hands to read his music books and learn. I was entertaining family events and being recorded on super 8 movie film.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:44 PM

I was about 10 yrs. old when I first tried to learn on an old beater that was too far gone to play. Got frustrated and quit.

Twenty years later I was working with a guy that played and his family owned a music store. He saw my love of music and heard me singing along to a CD and said, "You should take guitar lessons."

I bought a cheap starter guitar from his dad and also lessons for about 9 months to get the basics down, and then just kept playing and practicing.

I still get together with my buddy that got me started several times a year and we have a great time.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:49 PM

15 yrs old. A 33 1/3 recording of How High the Moon by Les Paul & Mary Ford that I nearly wore out on an old Phillips record player.

Blackbird Lucky 13
Old 03-10-2015, 02:59 PM

2009.... I was 62.... been enjoying them every day since...
Old 03-10-2015, 03:06 PM

Started playing in 1967 when I was 17. The civil rights struggle was peaking (and dissolving into race riots), Vietnam was spinning even more out of control and like a lot of people in my generation, I thought singing the "right" songs would make a difference. So I learned a lot of Bob Dylan's "protest" songs, like "Blowin' in the Wind," "Masters of War," "With God on Our Side" and "Hard Rain," along with a lot of Phil Ochs' songs, like "In the Heat of the Summer," "Cops of the World" and "I Ain't A-Marching Anymore." I've progressed from there, but it's amazing how some of those songs just find revived pertinence every decade or so.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:34 PM

Music was all around when I was younger - my dad played some guitar and sang, and my folks had music on pretty much all the time. I started off with piano when I was six or so, then started singing in choirs not long after. I didn't continue the piano when we moved west (I was ten or so) but took up bass a couple of years later (several musicians I admired were bass-playing vocalists), giving up choir at around the same time.

I spent years in research camps in the Arctic as a kid, and you learn to make your own fun in that kind of setting. I was exposed to a lot of good music - with all the young scientists around, it was kind of like having lots of older brothers and sisters - loved by people with brains and eclectic taste. By way of keeping busy with something I thought I'd enjoy, I picked up my dad's guitar (an old Yamaha acoustic) when I was fourteen (1980), and within a couple of years realized that I was pretty good at figuring this stuff out. Took a while to get used to performing, though winning a few contests didn't hurt.

I kind of thought I might make a career of music, but marriage and kids derailed that plan. I did put together a kickass six-piece Celtic rock band about ten years ago, and we had a metric butt-ton of fun and made lots of GAS money, but I just couldn't keep up the time commitment, so now I just hit the weekly trad session and play the odd solo show or maybe bring a fiddler along. I'm interested in recording at home more than playing out.

Maybe TMI, but there you have it!
Old 03-10-2015, 03:38 PM
Guest4562

About 12 or 13. I wasn't any good at baseball.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:00 PM

9 years old.....
A friend brought their guitar to school. I wanted to learn too!
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion