The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-09-2015, 04:58 AM

Default Washburn guitars

Hello does anyone know what are the differences between models wd150sce, wd15swce, wd150swce? I play classical and electrical guitars and want to start playing acoustic and I am looking for something with a rich tome that would be good for playing acoustic instrumentals. Is wd150swce a good choice?
Thanks
Old 03-09-2015, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm689 View Post
Hello does anyone know what are the differences between models wd150sce, wd15swce, wd150swce? I play classical and electrical guitars and want to start playing acoustic and I am looking for something with a rich tome that would be good for playing acoustic instrumentals. Is wd150swce a good choice?
Thanks
The fundamental difference between the 15 and 150 is the laminate back and sides construction of the former against the all-solid build of the latter. Only you can decide which sounds better to you; a builder's specification won't tell you.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:19 AM

Thanks Andrew.Do you also know the difference between their sce and swce. They have a huge price difference. I am confused between fg700s yamaha and wd150swce. Which one would you recommend and why? I am worried yama is more beginner but reviews seem good
Old 03-09-2015, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks Andrew.Do you also know the difference between their sce and swce. They have a huge price difference. I am confused between fg700s yamaha and wd150swce. Which one would you recommend and why? I am worried yama is more beginner but reviews seem good
If you go to Washburn's website and click on the 'specs' button next to each guitar it'll give you all the information you need when comparing models.
I can't comment on the Washburn because I haven't played one, but the Yamaha FG700S is frequently quoted as being the best selling inexpensive guitar in the US, and for good reason; build quality, tone and playability are all excellent. Here's a good demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkdMAgCaxvU

Last edited by AndrewG; 03-09-2015 at 05:32 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Do you also know the difference between their sce and swce. They have a huge price difference. I am confused between fg700s yamaha and wd150swce. Which one would you recommend and why? I am worried yama is more beginner but reviews seem good
For Washburn:

SCE = Solid top only (laminate back and sides). Cutaway. Electronics.

SWCE = All Solid Wood construction. Cutaway. Electronics.

If you are trying to decide between the Washburn WD150SWCE and a run-in-the-mill Yamaha FG700S, The Washburn wins hands down. No doubt in my mind that the Washburn is far the superior of the two. The entry level Yamahas are nice for what they are, but the all solid wood series guitars from Washburn are in a whole other tier then the 700-series Yamahas..

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 03-09-2015, 08:54 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasper View Post
For Washburn:

SCE = Solid top only (laminate back and sides). Cutaway. Electronics.

SWCE = All Solid Wood construction. Cutaway. Electronics.

If you are trying to decide between the Washburn WD150SWCE and a run-in-the-mill Yamaha FG700S, The Washburn wins hands down. No doubt in my mind that the Washburn is far the superior of the two. The entry level Yamahas are nice for what they are, but the all solid wood series guitars from Washburn are in a whole other tier then the 700-series Yamahas..
I agree. The SW Washburns are very nice guitars.

They are a different level in materials and sonically too.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-09-2015, 02:55 PM

Thanks all for your replies. Does anyone have any idea if the wd150swce has a rich tone? I cant find any videos online..if someone can point me to a video link of this one or something very close, that would be great. I am thinking between yamaha and this one because of the price difference. I am an advanced classical guitar player with some electric guitar experience and looking to start out in acoustic. So not sure which one I should get.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

I tired to find a video but couldn't. I do not have a Yamaha or Washburn Dreadnaught.

But I do have a Yamaha Medium Jumbo, and I just bought a Washburn Lakeside Jumbo. Both of these guitars has an amazing sound for their price point. My Yamaha has a laminate top, the Washburn has a solid Spruce.

It really depends on the model of Yamaha you are looking at but to compare the two you would need to compare it to an FG730 Yamaha, not a 700. The 700 is an entry level, the Washburn you are looking at is not an entry level guitar. I don't know either guitar but what I do know about them is I would take the Washburn over the 700 Yamaha. It may be a toss up between the Washburn and a 730 Yamaha.

In my opinion of course.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:13 PM

Thank you!
Old 03-11-2015, 10:03 PM

I can't comment on the Washburn models that you are contemplating.

However, I have owned a Washburn D10SCEDL Deluxe, and currently own a Yamaha FG730S.

The Washburn was the overall better guitar of the two, after a set-up, which unfortunately required a full level and dress of the frets, as many of them were uneven. However, the guitar was bought from a shop with absolutely no temperature or humidity controls during the middle of the summer, and this may have caused the guitar to become too dry, and exacerbated the problem.

The guitar had a nice balanced sound, but not one that I would characterize as "rich". Nor did the guitar have much projection. The UV finish was obviously applied too heavily, and the guitar sounded over-braced. I played it for a couple of years, hoping that it would sound more open and resonant after a time, but it never did, and was consequently sold on consignment. I got the best results with it plugged-in, as it was feedback resistant, even with the solid top.

The Yamaha has an oddly unbalanced sound to my ears, a little tight and somewhat dull in the mids and bass, especially in standard tuning. Also not a guitar I would call "rich". It's not particularly warm, lacking in overtones and sustain. However, it is an overall louder guitar than the Washburn, with stronger projection, a thinner finish, and the neck profile is not as shallow as the Washburn, and the nut width not quite as narrow, making it a more comfortable guitar to play - to me. But that unbalanced sound makes it less suitable for strumming vs the Washburn ... so I compensate for that by keeping the guitar tuned to Open E. The added tension moves the top better, and I do this with light strings to keep the sound crisp, as full medium gauge strings sound even duller. I like the Open E sound, and it handles a capo fairly well in this configuration.

The Yamaha only required a minor action adjustment at the saddle to be very playable.

The Washburn was far and away the more attractive of the two guitars, but beauty, as they say, is only skin deep.

Conclusion: If I had to do it again, I'd probably buy the Washburn, as it would be the more versatile stage guitar. But I'd have to resist the urge to have that finish stripped off the top and replaced with something thinner.

These are things you might want to keep in mind while shopping between the two brands. Whether the models you may test in the future will be richer in tone than what I've encountered, only your ears can be the judge. I'd highly recommend that you buy nothing from either company sight-unseen, regardless of popularity due to price and/or sales figures. Be sure you have a good return policy, either way.

... JT

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion