The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-26-2015, 04:40 PM

Default NGD Giannini Craviola

This is not the special at a restaurant, an opera singer, or a cosa nostra member. It is a Brazilian 12 string from 1977 with an odd body shape. I have not owned a 12 since the 1970s and I wanted one. The price was right. It has numerous small dings, a loose fret, and a hole drilled for a jack at some time in the past. It is also missing a tuner ferrule and six pins. My (excellent) guitar doctor has it and is doing the repairs/setup. Back and sides are pretty Brazilian rosewood, though undoubtedly laminate. It is very lightweight.
I plan to install a Lyric eventually, using the existing hole.
I think it has the makings of a nice guitar. It sounded pretty good even with six dead strings. Can't wait to hear it through the church PA.

Anyone have one/play one?
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 02-26-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadfulnaught View Post
This is not the special at a restaurant, an opera singer, or a cosa nostra member. It is a Brazilian 12 string from 1977 with an odd body shape. I have not owned a 12 since the 1970s and I wanted one. The price was right. It has numerous small dings, a loose fret, and a hole drilled for a jack at some time in the past. It is also missing a tuner ferrule and six pins. My (excellent) guitar doctor has it and is doing the repairs/setup. Back and sides are pretty Brazilian rosewood, though undoubtedly laminate. It is very lightweight.
I plan to install a Lyric eventually, using the existing hole.
I think it has the makings of a nice guitar. It sounded pretty good even with six dead strings. Can't wait to hear it through the church PA.

Anyone have one/play one?

Those things are wild! The girl who I had a massive crush on at boarding school had a roommate who played one of those. The sound might be mediocre, but the looks are crazy cool!
Old 02-26-2015, 05:47 PM

Default Craviola

I ran into a 6 string version at a shop in Athens GA. It actually sounds pretty good, but the neck and nut were way too narrow for my taste.

They certainly do catch your eye in a "What the heck is THAT?" sort of way
Old 02-26-2015, 07:45 PM

Glad somebody else is discovering Craviolas. I own five of them (one being a 12 string). Very comfortable to play, great looking and sounding. Ive been using John Pearse Phosphor Bronze strings and have tried the Octacores and various other brands, they all sound good. Back and sides are usually laminate of Pau farro or Rosewood, I have run across some with necks as thick as baseball bats (they would certainly be a challenge for Taylor players) but none the less they sound great. The best years from my experience seem to be between 72 - 78, I have not had the opportunity to play the recent models so I cant offer any comparisons. Congrats on your new guitar and have fun turning heads with it as the unconventional body style will certainly draw attention to it.
91 Taylor K15C Koa
Old 02-26-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craviola View Post
Glad somebody else is discovering Craviolas. I own five of them (one being a 12 string). Very comfortable to play, great looking and sounding. Ive been using John Pearse Phosphor Bronze strings and have tried the Octacores and various other brands, they all sound good. Back and sides are usually laminate of Pau farro or Rosewood, I have run across some with necks as thick as baseball bats (they would certainly be a challenge for Taylor players) but none the less they sound great. The best years from my experience seem to be between 72 - 78, I have not had the opportunity to play the recent models so I cant offer any comparisons. Congrats on your new guitar and have fun turning heads with it as the unconventional body style will certainly draw attention to it.
Thanks!
I actually prefer a larger neck as I have large octopus-like hands.This neck is not really huge for a 12. It will have Martin Silk &Steels on it, at least for now. That was the only 12 string set in the store at the time! I like them so I may stay with those.
I will get out the hair dryer and dental floss and eventually remove the pick guard, it is potato chipping and I am afraid a top crack may develop in the future. I may cut a new tortolloid guard. The existing one is black.
1997 Martin CEO-1R
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Old 02-26-2015, 09:53 PM

Mine is a 1974 12-string I bought new. Played it in church for about 10 years. Still have it. Here are some pics.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:22 PM

Jimmy Page played a Giannini 12-string too.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-27-2015, 01:38 AM

I've played a few and heard a few others being used in clubs. They're okay. They were a moderately priced guitar when they being imported into North America, so a lot of folks with an eye for something different got them.

I hadn't seen any Craviolas for a long time, so assumed that the company had long since gone out of business, but a couple of years ago a Brazilian guy here on this forum told us: "No, they're still making guitars." So a Google search ought to take you to the current Craviola company website.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-27-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I've played a few and heard a few others being used in clubs. They're okay. They were a moderately priced guitar when they being imported into North America, so a lot of folks with an eye for something different got them.

I hadn't seen any Craviolas for a long time, so assumed that the company had long since gone out of business, but a couple of years ago a Brazilian guy here on this forum told us: "No, they're still making guitars." So a Google search ought to take you to the current Craviola company website.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Hiya Wade, They do indeed still make guitars, though where I do not know. Steel string Craviolas (both 6 and 12) and a slot head nylon string are listed. They seem to be a bit more high end now than they were. None seem to have pick guards, but I asked anyway if they have any. If not it is not a big deal to make one.
I noticed that mine has a bridge with adjustable saddle height. I wonder if it has been replaced at some point, I have not seen another like that. I will post pix when it is out of surgery and back home. Could be from an Epiphone or Gibson 12.
I wanted a 12 string that sounds good and does not break the bank, and that I could travel with without worry. I think that laminate instruments have their place, particularly when traveling to areas varying widely in temperature and humidity, as I do.This fits my need. The hole that some dips hit has prebored for me will be put to good use. As for the looks, you love it or hate it. Maybe I can get extra gigs at renaissance fairs impersonating a luter.

Please send some warm air down from Alaska. It has been brutal here in the mid Atlantic.
1997 Martin CEO-1R
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Old 02-27-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
As for the looks, you love it or hate it. Maybe I can get extra gigs at renaissance fairs impersonating a luter.
I recalling thinking that these guitars looked butt ugly in the '70s.

"Luter" - love that.

George
Old 02-27-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post
I recalling thinking that these guitars looked butt ugly in the '70s.

"Luter" - love that.
At one of those fairs, I warned a guy that luters may be shot on sight.
1997 Martin CEO-1R
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Old 02-27-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
...They do indeed still make guitars, though where I do not know. Steel string Craviolas (both 6 and 12) and a slot head nylon string are listed. They seem to be a bit more high end now than they were...I noticed that mine has a bridge with adjustable saddle height. I wonder if it has been replaced at some point, I have not seen another like that...I wanted a 12 string that sounds good and does not break the bank, and that I could travel with without worry...As for the looks, you love it or hate it. Maybe I can get extra gigs at renaissance fairs..
Here's a couple new ones - Chinese-made TMK, and not exactly high end:

http://www.amazon.com/Giannini-GSCRA.../dp/B00CUI7HAQ
http://www.musiclandcentral.com/gian...-gwscra12.html

I loved these instruments back in the day - played every one I saw, sorry I never bought one when they were still being made with Brazilian RW - and I seem to recall the later steel-strings having adjustable bridge saddles, so based on your photos I wouldn't worry too much about originality. Haven't handled one in about 35 years, but I remember them having an idiosyncratic upper-midrange that gave them shimmer without harshness, almost harpsichord-like on single-note/cross-picked passages and just the ticket for something like "Lady Jane" at the next Renaissance Fair - when you get through you'll be beating off those Shakespearian hotties with a stick...
Old 02-27-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Here's a couple new ones - Chinese-made TMK, and not exactly high end:

http://www.amazon.com/Giannini-GSCRA.../dp/B00CUI7HAQ
http://www.musiclandcentral.com/gian...-gwscra12.html

I loved these instruments back in the day - played every one I saw, sorry I never bought one when they were still being made with Brazilian RW - and I seem to recall the later steel-strings having adjustable bridge saddles, so based on your photos I wouldn't worry too much about originality. Haven't handled one in about 35 years, but I remember them having an idiosyncratic upper-midrange that gave them shimmer without harshness, almost harpsichord-like on single-note/cross-picked passages and just the ticket for something like "Lady Jane" at the next Renaissance Fair - when you get through you'll be beating off those Shakespearian hotties with a stick...
Yep, that shimmery Led Zeppelin sound.
The Craviola 12 string handmade series lists at nearly $2000.00. Out of control if you ask me.
Are there really lute groupies? I wonder. Will start working on Lady Jane just in case.
1997 Martin CEO-1R
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Old 03-01-2015, 04:45 PM

The back
http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/se...tml?sort=3&o=2

The bridge that does not look original. Anyone have some opinions here? It stays anyway, because it works.
http://rs1167.pbsrc.com/albums/q626/...q6.jpg~320x480

The ugly jack hole that will be reused.
http://rs1167.pbsrc.com/albums/q626/...cs.jpg~320x480
1997 Martin CEO-1R
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Old 03-02-2015, 09:54 AM

Of the five craviolas I have, one of the six strings has the same bridge. Doesnt look like it was replaced and may have been what was used during that year of production, I have seen many Giannini's (not just the craviola model) with this bridge. The bridges on my other craviolas seem to be of Pau Farro with lots of color and grain, no screws or the dot inlay, like the bridge in the above picture. Funny as the six string only has one dot in the middle where as yours has the two dots.
91 Taylor K15C Koa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion