The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-27-2015, 02:15 PM

Maybe its just a bad fret - kind a like we hear about bone saddles with holes in it (Poor density)
Old 02-27-2015, 05:31 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Al View Post
I'm coming to the conclusion that the problem is me. Some harmonic of that note must be interacting with my tinnitus . . . as the ringing in my ears is about the same pitch as the odd sound I'm hearing from the guitar. Gettin' old isn't much fun . . . sigh . . . .

I'm hearing it on other guitars too. If I modify my right hand position or switch to a heavy pick, I can make the problem less noticeable. That's my solution for now.
Since you've eliminated almost all of the physical possibilities like a high fret or a defective string, this might well be it. With tinnitus, the specific frequency of that ringing - or one of its harmonics - may be "beating" against or interacting perceptibly with this particular note. Tuning to other pitches, or even playing the same D# note in other locations (creating a slightly different harmonic series) is a further clue.

Because you now also report hearing the same issue on other guitars, that points even more toward it being your perception, not the guitar itself. Hearing and psychoacoustics is a truly weird field....
Old 02-27-2015, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
Really sounds like a high 5th fret to me, although apparently you've already ruled that out. Or, a groove in the 4th fret under that string that allows the string to buzz against the 5th fret. But again, you've said the frets are good. I can see why you're puzzled.
I accept what you say Big Al, but I can't help feeling that Devellis has the most likely explanation.

I really hope you get this resolved.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:30 AM

Default Solved

Well . . . I continued to measure and experiment. It's definitely not a fret problem. I switched the first two strings down a gauge and the problem was still there, maybe more. I temporarily put in a set of brass bridge pins, hoping to change the resonance of the top. There seemed to be some improvement in the odd sound, but not much . . . and the overall tone seemed to suffer.

Finally, I decided to switch the first and second strings to mediums (.013" and .017") and leave the rest of the strings as lights, kind of like the new HD sets made for Taylor. Because the new strings don't vibrate with as much displacement as the smaller ones, I was able to file down the saddle a little at the first and second string positions, so playability didn't suffer.

Results? The odd overtone is all but gone. I think I might be able to hear it a little if I play the string really hard and pick it in one certain place, but maybe it's my imagination. I might just be listening too hard. It's certainly not a problem anymore.

Also, the overall effect on the tone is kind of counter-intuitive. One would think that by making the treble strings louder, the guitar would sound brighter. Instead it seams that by making the treble strings less twangy, the guitar actually sounds warmer and more balanced. I'm liking it.

Last edited by Big-Al; 03-12-2015 at 09:39 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion