The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-04-2015, 02:24 PM

Default Martin 00028EC

Hi,
As a lefty, my opportunities to play before I buy are v limited....

My budget is £2,500-£3,000, and want a small body, easy to play guitar for fingerstyle and strumming....

I've exhausted all options in Ireland where I live, so I'll be jumping on a plane to try anything before I buy....so far, I've located a Martin 00028 Eric Clapton and a Gibson songwriter deluxe studio....drawn to the Martin, but any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2015, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Well, you'll get many varying opinions on the 000-28EC, but I wouldn't trade mine for anything. I've played many, and even though some have been better than others, I personally have never played a bad one. The playability of mine is fantastic, and it sounds great fingerpicked or strummed. Lately I've even been playing it in some open tunings, and it handles that very well also. I've said it before, and I'll say it again...if the house was burning down and I could save only one of my guitars, it would be my Clapton. Good luck in your search!

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 02-04-2015, 03:09 PM

I played a 00028EC at Guitar Center and I loved it. I thought the tone was great and it was easy to play...until I played the Larrivee OM-03 that I bought. Less than half the price and the tone is much fuller and richer and the guitar is twice as loud. The one I bought has Cedar top and Peruvian Walnut back and sides. If you have a Larrivee dealer you can get to, I suggest you try a few. At the price you are anticipating you can get a higher end model, like an OM-09.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 02-04-2015, 04:21 PM

I played the 000-28EC. Great guitar in my opinion. Great full sounds and it is very loud. great fingerpicker and a good stummer too!
Funny the pervious poster mentions he likes larrivee better though. I have never had good luck with larrivee myself. all the ones I played disapointed me, I was very excited to try the om-40, but again to me there were guitars I liked a lot better in the same price range.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
I've played many, and even though some have been better than others, I personally have never played a bad one. The playability of mine is fantastic, and it sounds great fingerpicked or strummed.
I would agree with this 100%.

I have played 5 or 6, and I liked them all.

I think you will find the shorter scale length makes it a breeze to play, but it still has a big sound (IME, anyway).

Some are put off by the 5/16" bracing on a shorter scale 000, but all that I have played were very responsive and sounded very open.

(I'm actually a dread kinda guy, but I was so, so close to purchasing a 000-28EC from GC once.)

I feel for all leftys because I know there are significant problems finding lefty guitars to play.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with a 000-28EC if you're looking for a "small body, easy to play guitar for fingerstyle and strumming."

There is obviously a reason for the enduring popularity of this model -- people like it!

All the best in your search.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Get the EC for sure and don't look back.

If you are into finger style it's really hard to beat if not impossible IMHO.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:09 PM

Like others have said, go for it! I consider myself a dread guy and I was well on my way to purchasing a Collings D2H when I tried out a 000-28EC. I bought it a couple weeks later and haven't regretted my for one second ever since. The tone is amazing and from the very first time I picked one up, it felt like I've played one for decades. It has a very comfortable feel to the neck. I like it for fingerpicking and strumming and it's plenty loud.
Warwick Thumb Bass
Old 02-04-2015, 06:09 PM

Hi,

I fell in love for the Clapton when I played at the store and purchased it on the spot. I only sold mine to upgrade to a 000-28ECB, but otherwise, I would have kept it. It's a very comfortable guitar to play and the tone is excellent.

I've never played a Gibson songwriter deluxe studio.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:23 PM

Well out of my price range, but I did have a chance recently to play side by side the EC000 and the JMOM. Not sure what the differences are and they were both lovely guitars but to me the John Mayer won. Might be just those two though of course and you might disagree if you played them both.

Other than minor 'feel' things I doubt you could go hugely wrong either way.

Kris
Old 02-04-2015, 07:30 PM

I do like the 000-28ec have played a few and I do regret not buying a sunburst model that I saw at a GC they had on sale for a great price. But recently I have played the new model Martin OM-28 and really liked it. They do have different scale lengths, the OM is considerably less money ! It might be worth considering if you can find one.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:14 PM

Play before you buy. Love the sound of the 000-28EC. Can't stand the sharp V neck.

People either love the neck or hate it, there is very little in-between.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-04-2015, 08:27 PM

Default EC's

I've played a few and was surprised how inconsistent they were.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:28 PM

Two years ago, I was in the market for an 000-28EC. I tried 3 different guitars at two separate stores, but none WOWED me. I did not like the polished neck. I went to a third store but they did not have that model, but I tried their
OM-28Retro. The OM-28Retro WOWED me. It had better tone, a satin low profile neck with an artist taper and. A 1 3/4 nut with. I did not buy it immediately. I went home but could not get that guitar out of my head. I went back a week later and purchased it. My advice is play a lot of models and get the guitar that WOWs you. That said a 000-28EC is a great guitar.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Jim View Post
Two years ago, I was in the market for an 000-28EC. I tried 3 different guitars at two separate stores, but none WOWED me. I did not like the polished neck. I went to a third store but they did not have that model, but I tried their
OM-28Retro. The OM-28Retro WOWED me. It had better tone, a satin low profile neck with an artist taper and. A 1 3/4 nut with. I did not buy it immediately. I went home but could not get that guitar out of my head. I went back a week later and purchased it. My advice is play a lot of models and get the guitar that WOWs you. That said a 000-28EC is a great guitar.
perfect example of how two people life completely different things.

I like the gloss neck

also prefer the modified v w/ a 1 3/4 vs the low profile. dont get me wrong I own guitars with the low profile neck but i much prefer the modified v thats on the ooo28ec. That being i like the om28s as well. Just prefer the short scale 000
Old 02-05-2015, 01:16 PM

Default gone and forgotten

Had a very pretty 000-28EC a few years back.
It looked good, played well, sound was un-remarkable...good, yes, but not great. Just didn't speak to me or for me.
Sold it.
Haven't missed it a minute.

Lots of folks buy them and seem to like them. The numbers don't lie...last I looked Martin had made over 15,000 of them.

I'm a Martin guy and should have loved the 000-28EC.
I wanted to like it, but it just didn't go over the top for me.
But this is just my story, so give it a try..it might make you smile.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
martin, taylor