The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-20-2014, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Default Martin 000C Nylon?

Just curious if anyone has had the opportunity to play Martin's nylon string 000C (cutaway) with the Fishman Aura system? I've been thinking about a nylon string guitar for a while now but not quite sure I'd play it enough to warrant owning one? Any input is appreciated...many thanks!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-20-2014, 07:00 PM

I played one in GC about a year ago and I thought it was a very nice guitar. However, it's also around $500 more expensive than some pretty formidable competition, namely the Cordoba C9 Crossover ($799, all-solid cedar/mahogany with ebony fretboard), the C10 Crossover ($999 all solid spruce/rosewood with ebony board), and the Yamaha NTX1200 ($999, all-solid spruce/rosewood, ebony board and electronics). I own the Cordoba C10 Crossover, and it's a really gorgeous guitar in all respects.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:04 PM

Cool Martin 000C Nylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Just curious if anyone has had the opportunity to play Martin's nylon string 000C (cutaway) with the Fishman Aura system? I've been thinking about a nylon string guitar for a while now but not quite sure I'd play it enough to warrant owning one? Any input is appreciated...many thanks!
I own one and it's my "go-to" guitar for almost everything. Because it's a hybrid, with a 1-7/8 nut, you can play fingerstyle, or strum, or play classical pieces if you wish. I was blown away by the sound and volume when it arrived, with plenty of bass, and it sounds fabulous with or without an amp. Go play one and you'll see.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 10-20-2014, 07:08 PM

Default 000C Martin

I have one and I really like it. I also have a Taylor NS-74 that I liked just fine till I played a 000C. I still couldn't make up my mind, so I bought a Martin to be able to play back and forth with the Taylor till I decided which one to keep. I'm leaning more and more toward selling the Taylor. YMMV, FWIW and all that
Old 10-20-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
I have been wondering how players have found that 670 mm string length.
Garcia #2 classical
Cordoba C10 Luthier Series
Tacoma Olympia OB3CE acoustic bass

"I don't care what style you want to play. If you want to master good guitar tone, master preparation, attack and release first." ~ Paul Guma
Old 10-20-2014, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondoraymundo View Post
I have been wondering how players have found that 670 mm string length.
Evidently, from what I've read, it is closed to the feel of a steel a string acoustic with the greater string tension? Not having played one I can't say for sure?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-20-2014, 07:57 PM

Myteacher has one. Very nice construction, great feel to the neck, sounds great amplified, and has a super responsive top. It just fills the room and if you are close enough, you can fell it as well. I did purchase the Cordoba Fusion as it was in my price range. But if I had 1300 spend in would be in my house.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:54 PM

I have had one about a year and it still is a pleasant nylon guitar to play. The tone is warm and martin-full, maybe I got a good one... and the neck just feels right. It's not for everyone and there are better sounding pure classical style guitars I've tried, but none do what this does for me as it plays easy and for the way I do play it. I like the scale length and the visual details. I even like the orange tuner knobs. The tortoise binding, Martin slotted headstock, decal, fit and finish are very nice. I'm a designer and I like the historic brand ....sue me. I guesss it is built US. Don't really dig micarta the bridge and fretboard, but I kinda am over that and just enjoy it for the couch-soft on the fingertips guitar it is for me. I've plugged it in with HOF reverb set just barely so... and that is cool too. I did a side design job and had the cash and got a very good local dealer price so it worked out. I owned a Cordoba C7 that was killer that I sold for a kids car repair to help the family $ line. Didn't replace it and instead got this and never looked back much, even though I like Cordoba's. Coming up on holiday music I like to noodle on it.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Evidently, from what I've read, it is closed to the feel of a steel a string acoustic with the greater string tension? Not having played one I can't say for sure?
I get that (the increased string tension) but man, 670mm (26.38"!!!) is a LONG scale, especially on a 12 fret guitar. I would avoid the guitar because of that. JMHO.

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 12-23-2014, 01:07 PM

Default Long scale

What are the disadvantages to the long scale? I'm very intrigued with this guitar, and thinking of buying.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:00 PM

Default Muddy Waters, some other mule is kicking in your stall

For the money, the Cordoba C9 or C10 with the 650 string length can go toe to toe with the Martin 000C. That's because better ideas kick the older ideas all over the school yard of innovation.

I would not trade my C10 Luthier Series for a Martin 000C. Martin makes great guitars in their all wood instruments, but they are behind the eight ball on classicals.
Garcia #2 classical
Cordoba C10 Luthier Series
Tacoma Olympia OB3CE acoustic bass

"I don't care what style you want to play. If you want to master good guitar tone, master preparation, attack and release first." ~ Paul Guma
Old 12-23-2014, 04:11 PM

I'm a big Martin fan and was considering one of these classicals a while back. However, My experience with three different 000C nylon string models has been underwhelming. Nice plugged in tone, making it a good gigging guitar, but the acoustic tone was pretty modest. I expected a lighter guitar and the design seems more heavily braced than it should be.

The Cordoba Fusion series, and their other models, can be great values. I love the maple Fusion cutaway. Also, in a week or so I will have one of these nifty Pono N30-DC classical crossovers in hand and will put up a full report right away:

Sorry for the small pic.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 12-23-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
I'm a big Martin fan and was considering one of these classicals a while back. However, My experience with three different 000C nylon string models has been underwhelming. Nice plugged in tone, making it a good gigging guitar, but the acoustic tone was pretty modest. I expected a lighter guitar and the design seems more heavily braced than it should be.

The Cordoba Fusion series, and their other models, can be great values. I love the maple Fusion cutaway. Also, in a week or so I will have one of these nifty Pono N30-DC classical crossovers in hand and will put up a full report right away:

Sorry for the small pic.
I mostly agree. I played one in GC and liked it. However, I think Cordoba produces better crossovers for considerably less cost.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:34 PM

These are factory guitars. You also have Yamaha, etc. I bought a Martin 000c-N and was shocked with the flat midrange sound after playing a very high end concert classical and custom flat top with a piano range matter how soft: both radiate brilliant harmonics with a touch: both built by luthiers in the 80's in Belgium and Germany. 000c felt like a toy at first with a uni-tone and little color! This seems standard as I read others. Shame, cause I kinda like it. You can do certain things on each kind of axe. But its spanking new and I hate new guitars. Frankly, I know I can resell the name, so why worry? That's one reason why you choose Martin and get the best price you can. The 311 case is lower end but good quality with very full plush inside. Minimum protection on top, so don't step on it! Get a flight case.

The 000c is very well finished and beautifully crafted. Trying daily and getting used to the C neck, which is how I thought it would be - just right for every position and not too narrow or flat: like a flat top with perfect width at nut: 47.60 mm (convert to"). Noticed double delayed buzz when REALLY plucked on low end, not just the usual single fret buzz. So, D-tuning may require a very light touch. D-tuning OK as long as you play moderately. May need a tweak with the truss rod - special order for Martins - counter-clockwise or return it. There's a Lakewood Khaya K-31F CP (DE) with rosewood at even a lower street price with a flatter neck. The 000c has tight strings or it would buzz all over the place. But I'll try on a Savarez 520 set., my usuals. It's kind of a steel string players guitar, but good with finger style nylon. It's own instrument. Discreet volume and tone dials with chromatic tuner. Have to start testing the electric sound on my desk and get to y'all.

In short, this model has its own middle pressure finger attack range due to the the desired low action and extra string tension due to full classical length - may be also the factory strings. No use groping for a big acoustic multi-colored sound anyway. Electric guitarists can crossover with these. Concert classicals have a huge expanded range of dynamics and tone (hence $5000+) and require a lot of practice. These fusion guitars have a blander sound through the frequency range and are made to be plugged in. Depending on your sitting or laying position, there's a strap pin right in the way on the dovetail! Otherwise OK. Suppose that's standard but I don't think on Lakewood. Check it out. You need time with guitars at home - especially using your own gear, unless close to a well stocked and mellow shop. I have musicshopaphobia. It plays fine on the richlite fingerboard, which may help keep the neck straight and no maintenance. I would probably be playing her most often because of the action alone. I think Martin has the design savvy and I trust its a valuable asset. It is very beautiful and perfectly appointed. Nice spruce and Sapele is choice in bookmatching.

Face it. If you want a fusion with gusto try a luthier, special something like a Lakewood. Frankly, it may be the difference of $600-1500 to have a whole other level. But this looks like a working man's guitar for stage and studio. Price-point makes sense for the fine build quality. I would also be looking into the Oriental models if lower priced. (I'll be checking the 000c out more and probably editing this).
-----------
Next day. Acoustic sounds OK - very midrange with even the tonal response and DB's throughout.

Last edited by Spectacular; 03-22-2015 at 03:00 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular View Post
These are factory guitars. You also have Yamaha, etc. I bought a Martin 000c-N and was shocked after playing a very high end concert classical and custom flat top: both built by luthiers in the 80's. I thought it was a toy at first! And the cases are cheap outside with light brass appointments and no rigid protection on the face. Bizarre! Frankly, I know I can resell the name, so why worry on this level? The 000c is very well finished and precision crafted. It's trial 2 and getting used to the neck, which is how I thought it would be - not so meaty and not too narrow. Noticed double buzz when REALLY plucked on low end, not just the usual single fret buzz. That's a low end flaw and will pick up when recording. But I'll check it out especially in a lower tuning like D.

In short, these models have their own middle pressure technique. No use groping for a big acoustic sound anyway. Probably electric guitarists can move up the ladder of acoustics with these. The reason why a great classical is so big and requires a lot of practice is because you can get intense clean volume and harmonic splendor fingering anywhere. These fusion guitars have a mono sound and are made to be plugged in. Martin actually blocks clean movement up the neck with a poorly placed strap "holder" right in the way on the dovetail defeating the cutaway purpose! I guess you are not supposed to hug the neck beyond the 12th fret! (?) New rules? This guitar is probably going back just for that. But I'll check it out. It's just got to be me! I would not have noticed fiddling in a shop. You need time with guitars at home unless close to a well stocked mellow shop. Other than the strap holder it plays very well on the richlite fingerboard, and I would probably be playing her most often because of this alone.

Face it. If you want a fusion with gusto try a luthier special somewhere like a Lakewood. Frankly, it may just be the difference of $600 to have a whole other level, and I would also be looking into the Oriental models if lower priced. By the way, a high end classical is about 5K new. Some are made over a 2 year period with dream woods. (I'll be checking the 000c out more and probably editing this).
That "mono" unplugged character is what steered me away from both the Martin and the Taylor crossovers. The less expensive Cordoba Fusions that I tried were far more acoustically alive to my ears. And even more tonally dynamic was the Pono. Earlier in this thread (back in December) I promised a review, which was posted a while back:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...highlight=Pono

And some product details:

http://ponoguitar.com/index.php/mode...tar-w-hsc.html

It seems that a lot of crossovers are OK but few are really special until you start getting into some more expensive custom made versions. Worth searching till you find the one that truly catches your fancy.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment

Last edited by ukejon; 03-12-2015 at 05:45 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion