The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-18-2014, 08:54 PM

Default Adk?

Adirondack can be an added upgrade for $200. Many luthiers offer it at that. And some offer it for more, sometimes far more. If you look at the price of sets from wood suppliers, you will see what I mean. It doesn't cost that much more and if it's what you want, you should be able to get it reasonably.

If you are a flatpicker, Adirondack would merit extra consideration. If you play bluegrass, again, think harder on it. If you play fingerstyle and don't want to be loud but warmer and richer instead, maybe it's better to focus your thoughts elsewhere.

Though tops are the most critical part of the guitar for sound, remember, it's the whole package which is important. Some builders can get an Adirondack sound from cedar - or anything else. And vice versa.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

The actual price of Adirondack for builders can vary by a great amount. Lower grade tops can be extremely affordable as those tops are readily available. However, if you want very fine grade Adirondack tops then be prepared a great deal of money. I upcharge $700 for a good quality Adirondack top with no runout -- and believe me, I'm not making much money on these sets when you factor in the time needed to acquire them.

As far as whether it is worth it -- it completely depends on whether you prefer the tonal difference that comes with Adirondack. It is not any better sounding than Sitka or Engelmann or German.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:21 PM

It's my preferred top wood, but they do take a while to break/play in. I used the tone-rite on mine.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:41 PM

Upgrade and upcharge are not the same....Adirondack would be the latter.

If Sitka was as rare...those who preferred that sound would have to pay extra as well. Adi is a great top wood for it's own properties, not because it's better.

14fret 0
12fret 000
Old 06-18-2014, 09:48 PM

My personal opinion….the type of spruce DOES NOT MATTER….you should play every guitar as if you are BLIND!!! You must choose the guitar that matches the sound IN YOUR HEAD!!! In other words, what sounds good to you. If you want to own a guitar with an ADI top for the "prestige" of the ADI top, you are an idiot. I've played ADI top guitars the sound like crap, the "ADI" label will NOT make it better, you must HEAR the guitar and what sounds good to you REGARDLESS of the species of the top wood!!! Just play the guitar and get the one that sounds best to you, THEN ask what the top wood is…..it is VERY simple!
Old 06-18-2014, 10:02 PM

What seems to be missing in this general discussion is that red spruce was used by Martin as the primary top wood in the heyday of steel stringed guitars ...... early '30's thru mid-40's. Because of this, red spruce became a sought after equivalent for replica style guitars. The tone that came from those old Martins was what folks wanted in many cases.

I've had some wonderful Martins in both sitka and red spruce. For me, what is important is the tone I want to utilize. Red spruce seems to really be what I like. However, I love a good sitka guitar ........ especially with 12 frets.

One is not better than the other ............... just different.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank View Post
What seems to be missing in this general discussion is that red spruce was used by Martin as the primary top wood in the heyday of steel stringed guitars ...... early '30's thru mid-40's. Because of this, red spruce became a sought after equivalent for replica style guitars. The tone that came from those old Martins was what folks wanted in many cases.

I've had some wonderful Martins in both sitka and red spruce. For me, what is important is the tone I want to utilize. Red spruce seems to really be what I like. However, I love a good sitka guitar ........ especially with 12 frets.

One is not better than the other ............... just different.
If Martin used mostly Adirondack on their instruments up untill a shortage of availability due to the war is it safe to say that they considered it the superior wood?
If Red Spruce was as readily available today as Sitka would they go back to Addi or has Sitka searned top spot by there own rite in the past 60 years?
Old 06-19-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D35burst View Post
If Martin used mostly Adirondack on their instruments up untill a shortage of availability due to the war is it safe to say that they considered it the superior wood?
If Red Spruce was as readily available today as Sitka would they go back to Addi or has Sitka searned top spot by there own rite in the past 60 years?
I presume they did consider it superior.

Martin, like all other builders, have found a way to get a premium for red spruce. There is a plentiful supply of red spruce available these days but not enough (my guess) to build all guitars with.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:56 PM

I don't know if red spruce was considered "superior" by Martin but it certainly was more accessible. Martin was processing much of their own wood at the time and red spruce logs came from relatively nearby forests. In the Thirties, the Adirondacks would have been a long day's drive from Nazareth. Other sources in the Appalachians not much more.

Sitka would have to be transported across the continent; probably at significant expense.

Martin certainly learned how to get the most out of red spruce, whether it was "better" than other woods or not.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:01 PM

I don't have much experience w/adi topped guitars but when I a/b'ed my e6om (& the e8om too) with their adi topped counterparts (the e10 & 20) I definitely prefered the sitka. Sweeter and louder in both instances. The Adi tops were very wide grained and to me visually unappealing. They also sounded "tight", for lack of a better word.

In a few years the Adi tops may change much, much more (or so I have heard) but I bought on what I heard right then. At $200 more I doubt it would have been considered high quality Adi and perhaps that had something to do with it. My Sitka tops do the job. I would certainly consider an Adi topped guitar but wouldn't buy one that didn't sound great out of the gate.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 06-19-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molder View Post
It's my preferred top wood, but they do take a while to break/play in. I used the tone-rite on mine.
+1 on all counts.

(Although I use a “home grown” TR treatment that is more intense.)

I think, honestly, you would need to listen for yourself in order to see if the relevant upcharge (doubtless more than “a couple hundred extra”) is worth it to you.

For me, Adirondack has a clarity and a headroom that Sitka just doesn’t possess (but there is always that compromise, I think, between clarity and headroom on the one hand, and super-responsiveness on the other).
Old 06-19-2014, 06:04 PM

No I do not think it is worth it not at all. Martin and all makers know sitka is king. Guitars sales are down. and no wonder when a decent guitar just begins at $1500 quickly rising to $5000. So different tops and sides are introduced into their smoke screen line up... along with exorbitant price tags to line their pockets and beguile the uninformed. I don't even think Adirondack sounds good.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
Honestly, I think it's a case-by-case thing. Both Sitka and red spruces can be great. It depends on the specific specimens and which strengths you want the guitar to have. Generally, I think Sitka is a bit warmer and red a bit clearer and brighter but the build will make a huge difference.
Very much agreed.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:47 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLight View Post
No I do not think it is worth it not at all. Martin and all makers know sitka is king. Guitars sales are down. and no wonder when a decent guitar just begins at $1500 quickly rising to $5000. So different tops and sides are introduced into their smoke screen line up... along with exorbitant price tags to line their pockets and beguile the uninformed. I don't even think Adirondack sounds good.

Whew...very straight to the heart of the matter! Beguiling the uninformed is why we have these forums....to sort out the facts! I do believe guitar sales are UP!(depending on brand)... Adi sounds good to my ears...but that encompasses the sides and back, scale, etc......Boomers are talking with their pocket books...and the upshot is .......Adirondack Spruce is GOOD! Each to his own.....
Old 06-19-2014, 07:05 PM

Has anybody out there gotten rid of a guitar because they were'nt happy with the characteristics of Addi and favored Sitka?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion