The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-12-2015, 07:35 AM

Default Mid-high(ish) end guitar advice

Hey all, first time poster, long time reader.

Warning: big post, but any feedback is appreciated.

I'm in the market for my first mid-to-high(ish) end acoustic guitar. For playing style, I'm a solid 50/50 split between strumming/fingerpicking, although lately I've found I've been putting the pick down and trying some more intricate fingerstyle patterns. Budget is about $1600.

Right now I'm looking at a range of some used guitars. There's a few options right now, all within budget:
- 1981 Larrivee L07
- 1990 Larrivee L09
- 1999 Martin SP000C-16
- 2005 Taylor 314CE
- newer Guild F50
- newer Gibson J45

Do any of these fit the bill for me? Does anyone have experience with one or more of these models? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
-JL
Old 03-12-2015, 07:49 AM

Welcome to the AGF! Just looking at your list, I'd go with the Larrivee L-09, simply because that's a top-end guitar from them in their signature body size (which is said to do everything well...exactly what you're looking for).

However, in the end, only YOU know what works for you. There are a lot of guitars out there in your price range. I'd go out there and play as many as you can and see which one works best...for you!

Good luck! The journey is part of the fun!
Old 03-12-2015, 07:57 AM

Hi and welcome JL,
I have to agree with Treenewt that you have to test as many as you can and see what speaks to you.
I just wanted to suggest a used Trevor Kronbauer to add to your shortlist-a handmade guitar that is hard to beat at this price point.
Let us know what you end up with.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:57 AM

Nice - best of luck. This is the fun part. Have you played any of the aforementioned guitars? Which ones did you like best?

Just a few other things to consider:

- Nut Width Preference
- Saddle Width Preference
- What kind of sound are you looking for? (will dictate tone-woods)
- What other guitars do you currently own?

Only you know what will work best for you.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:21 AM

Default Halcyon

Hey there. Nice list. Halcyon might be worth a look. Custom guitar by a well respected, but still under the radar, luthier for a surprisingly good price. Check out the Halcyon thread if you are curious.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...hlight=halcyon

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Mom's Mexican street vendor nylon, Pre 1970
Old 03-12-2015, 08:36 AM

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I cannot agree more with the theme that I need to try and feel out the guitars for myself. I haven't touched any of these yet, but I'm going to take a trip up to Lansing MI to check out Elderly Instruments and try out as many different ones as I can to get a feel for things like neck and saddle widths, etc. Many of the guitars I listed are private ads within 4 hours drive of where I live, so I was hoping that perhaps some feedback could help "narrow my search" (i.e. save me a few long drives!).

WHguitarNYC -- I currently have some nice electrics (Fender MIM SSH Strat, Fender MIA Jazz Bass), but a complete POS buzzing deadfretted out of tune Fender acoustic that I've been putting up with for years. For sound -- I guess the two words to describe the sound I desire is full and vibrant, with loud mids, bright high end, and a present but not dominant low-end... I guess versatile. What kind of woods give you that?

Overall though, it sounds like my list is full of good ones, all of which will be an upgrade over my crappy warped laminate Fender Korean-made cutaway dread. I just got a real job so I think it's time I treat myself.

Redpick, T268 - Those custom luthiers are a very intriguing idea. Never thought of that before as an option. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_liebs View Post
For sound -- I guess the two words to describe the sound I desire is full and vibrant, with loud mids, bright high end, and a present but not dominant low-end... I guess versatile. What kind of woods give you that?

Overall though, it sounds like my list is full of good ones, all of which will be an upgrade over my crappy warped laminate Fender Korean-made cutaway dread. I just got a real job so I think it's time I treat myself.

Redpick, T268 - Those custom luthiers are a very intriguing idea. Never thought of that before as an option. Thanks for the info.
The tone you are describing may be Cedar/Mahogany or Spruce/Mahogany guitar. Mahogany pushes a stronger mid-range than RW and better note clarity (IMHO) than Rosewood. RW is a darker and warmer sound with a more dominant bass.

Cedar over Mahogany provides a bit more warmth than Spruce over Mahogany and good articulation and clarity as well but maybe not as much headroom.

You may want to look at Spruce over Walnut as well.

You may want to look at a custom build by Halcyon.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-12-2015, 09:07 AM

How hard of an attack do you take when you strum? If med to light, and you fingerpick, cedar or englemann tops might be a good fit. They dont have the headroom of some others, but if you don't need the headroom, they are purported to have good tone with a lighter touch. The reason I went with Lutz spruce for my Halcyon is that it's supposed to be good on the light and the hard attack. Going for Walnut for B/S as it's supposed to be a nice compromise in between hog and RW. Do some research on tonewoods to help you make your choice. I've had a blast learning about the differences in tonewoods, bracing patterns, bracing woods, etc. It's fun to nerd out on stuff like that, for me anyway.

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Mom's Mexican street vendor nylon, Pre 1970
Old 03-12-2015, 09:40 AM

If I was looking for a guitar in that range this one offered at the OFC would probably move to the top of my list:

http://www.ovationfanclub.com/megabb...sts=20&start=1

I have heard many raves about this being the best acoustic sounding Ovation ...
Old 03-12-2015, 09:44 AM

Either of the Larrivees would be great for your intended use of 50/50 fingerpicking and strumming. Larrivee L bodies are about the size of a slope D, but seem smaller and more comfortable to hold and play. And they have 1 3/4" nuts, which are so comfortable. I would take a good long look at the L07. That one has had 35 years for all that beautiful spruce and rosewood to age gracefully.
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 03-12-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T268 View Post
How hard of an attack do you take when you strum? If med to light, and you fingerpick, cedar or englemann tops might be a good fit. They dont have the headroom of some others, but if you don't need the headroom, they are purported to have good tone with a lighter touch. The reason I went with Lutz spruce for my Halcyon is that it's supposed to be good on the light and the hard attack. Going for Walnut for B/S as it's supposed to be a nice compromise in between hog and RW. Do some research on tonewoods to help you make your choice. I've had a blast learning about the differences in tonewoods, bracing patterns, bracing woods, etc. It's fun to nerd out on stuff like that, for me anyway.
I'm all for nerding out, my friend. I wouldn't feel like I've made the right decision on a guitar without nerding out first!
Old 03-12-2015, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

I played a Rainsong yesterday that was very impressive. A little out of the box, but a great sounding guitar.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-12-2015, 10:41 AM

A Martin OOO-17sm brand new ought to be within your budget and I would guess they'd have one at Elderly you could try out.

A OOO-18 or D-18 new would be a little above that, but not a ton (don't let MAP fool you), and are at least worth checking out in case you decide to keep your eyes open for a good used one.

People do strumming, picking, and fingerstyle playing on all sorts of guitars, but I'd suggest trying to find at least a few OM style guitars and OOO style guitars to play.

Those are probably a couple of good Larivee guitars to try -- in the used market, all sorts of Larrivees are probably attainable.

Does Elderly carry Breedlove or Eastman?

If you can figure out some of what you like or don't like about some of the guitars on your list -- both basic things about the geometry and the tone -- it might help folks think of further suggestions.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:32 AM

I've seen some phenomenal deals for sale here on Taylor GS models, especially without a cutaway, and it would be a great model for your profile. Hard to go wrong with a Guild F50, either. If you can find a Gruhn-era (Late 80's-mid-90's) Guild GF (or F44-46), they are terrific.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion