The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-11-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTFoote View Post
I came very close to buying a standard D-45 a few years back. There was one on the wall at my favorite music store, and I spent quite a bit of time playing it, on three separate occasions. In my mind, at the time, it symbolized everything you could ever want in a great guitar, both in the brand, and the model. It was a top-of-the-line Martin, the kind of guitar I had dreamed of owning since I was a boy. Nothing else could possibly compare to that, could it?

I tried to convince myself to take it home. I really did. It was the most expensive, beautiful guitar I had ever held. But it just didn't grab me, and I didn't understand the reason. I began to think that the problem was me, not the guitar; that I needed to spend a few more years working on becoming a better player in order to really appreciate what the guitar had to offer.

The shop owner, having watched me struggle with the decision on my previous visits, called me into the back, and set a new Guild mini-jumbo in front of me, one he said had just arrived. I was almost instantly incredibly taken with the sound and feel of the guitar; I took it home for a three day audition, and that was all she wrote.

In hindsight, I wish I could have bought both, mostly because the Martin would be worth considerably more today, and the Guild has not appreciated in value nearly as much in the same time frame. But the Guild remains in my family, and my brother, who watched me play it for over twenty years and coveted it all the while, still plays it today. Many people have told both of us, older and newer players, and audience members alike, that it is one of the finest sounding guitars they have ever heard.

Lesson duly noted: it's not about the brand or the price. It's always going to be about the individual guitar. Everything else, even a brand with almost mythic connotations for a player due to the history and longevity of a company, might pale in comparison to the reality what you may discover with a particular guitar in your hands. Or it may exceed those expectations. You really have to approach every guitar with a blank mental slate, and let the guitar itself do the rest.

The Guild cost about a third of the price of the Martin.

Turns out the problem I had with making that decision wasn't about me, after all.

Play 'em, and if you find one that you love, and it sings under your hands, take it home. Otherwise, move along, and don't regret the decision, even if it seems that you must be wrong.

... JT

Really nice story JT. Thanks for sharing that experience with us!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
A one off of any guitar, any brand, any price, only really makes a statement about that guitar, and player A's "not so much" may thrill player B.

I'm a Martin nut, but I've played plenty I wouldn't buy, and that includes a few from Bourgeois/Collings/Santa Cruz too, nobody makes a great guitar every time.

I've owned a few 42/45's, dread and OM, I personally prefer the D-42 over the D-45 and the D-45V over any 40 series, one of the best dreads I every played was a D-45V years ago, still remember that guitar.

But there are some great 40 series Martins, and IMHO they do not sound like 28's, based on years of living with them together, not brief auditions.

I do agree when spending that kind of money the guitar needs to be "special", not just to one person, to everybody who hears it.

I still have a very high end OM-45, $14K when D-45's were $9K, wonderful guitar, never sell it.....but then if you're a Martin fan, they go and come out with Authentics..........never played a bad one, dread or OM, yet, and some are AMAZING............

This seems to be consistent with what others are saying about 40 series dreads. It seems to me the FSSB has a big impact on the tone. The only thing that would concern me about the authentic line, besides the price, is the lack of a truss rod, if I recall correctly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2015, 11:13 PM

Quick Comment: I had the chance to play a Martin D-45SS, six years after the D-45 in my original post. Beyond a doubt, one of the three best guitars I have ever played or heard, ever. So good, describing it would be impossible - it could only be experienced and fully appreciated with it in your hands. Amazing, above and beyond, incredible ... no words can convey how good that guitar was, and how much I wanted it.

The reason I don't have it ... the price tag, which was in excess of $16,000.00 at the time. The wife would have had a stroke if I had even attempted to find a way to get the money.

But I DID think about it, regardless, and still yearn for an opportunity to come across another one someday, hopefully with a better chance to work out the financial details. THIS is the Martin that I had hoped to find. When I was single, I'd have took on a second job to pay for it, if necessary.

Here's a fine example of one; a superlative guitar, IMHO: a 1998 Martin D-45SS.

... JT
Old 03-12-2015, 03:26 AM

I've never had the opportunity to play a D45...but when this D 41 Special popped up on my local craigslist...I went and played it....love at first sight and especially at first strum. It came home with me!
I agree with some others...I think it has a lot to do with the "forward shifted" braces.
I like the pearl and especially the way the CF Martin is done on the headstock.
This to my ears and eyes is one "Special" guitar.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Eastman E10 D
Eastman AC 420
Eastman 515 mandolin
Old 03-12-2015, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
Pound for pound, the best Martin for my money is a D-18.

The way I see it, if the bling doesn't help the sound, it's kinda' silly to pay for it.
I'll go along with that. That's why I bought a OOO15 SM. Nice sound, no bling.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_guitarist View Post
Lesson learned: expensive doesn't necessarily mean better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napman41 View Post
And cheap isn't always more economical.
Both have the same potential for earning income... Or, providing enjoyment, different strokes, no biggie...
Old 03-12-2015, 06:05 AM

Wouldn't the shop owner be more upset or disappointed? They have a sizeable chunk of their inventory cash already invested in it. Did they agree that it did not sound good, and if so, why wouldn't they be kicking about it?
Old 03-12-2015, 08:18 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
The only thing that would concern me about the authentic line, besides the price, is the lack of a truss rod, if I recall correctly.
They all have neck reinforcement of some sort or another, but no adjustable truss rods. People do love their adjustable truss rods, and fear of being without one is not uncommon. Unwarranted IMO but not uncommon. Anyone experienced with vintage Martins, or any pre-1985 Martin for that matter, will tell you that once the relief is correct, it usually stays that way. Most of my Martins have fixed neck reinforcement and the changes - if any - are no more than 0.003" winter to summer. Not enough that I bother with any saddle adjustments.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrksman View Post
Me too, they are meant to be played, otherwise why bother?
Well, many people like to have 'nice things.'
Old 03-12-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Wouldn't the shop owner be more upset or disappointed? They have a sizeable chunk of their inventory cash already invested in it. Did they agree that it did not sound good, and if so, why wouldn't they be kicking about it?
Great question. Not sure they are going to admit it is a dud.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
They all have neck reinforcement of some sort or another, but no adjustable truss rods. People do love their adjustable truss rods, and fear of being without one is not uncommon. Unwarranted IMO but not uncommon. Anyone experienced with vintage Martins, or any pre-1985 Martin for that matter, will tell you that once the relief is correct, it usually stays that way. Most of my Martins have fixed neck reinforcement and the changes - if any - are no more than 0.003" winter to summer. Not enough that I bother with any saddle adjustments.
Interesting comment.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

I'm a fan of both the D-45 and the D-45V but they surely don't replace each other.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 03-12-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
I agree!
My 1984 HD 28 has a fixed truss rod......my luthier set it up for my style of playing...."flatpicking bluegrass with .13 strings....I have all 4 seasons here in North Carolina and this is one easy playing rock solid guitar!
I'm glad it doesn't have an adjustable truss rod!
Eastman E10 D
Eastman AC 420
Eastman 515 mandolin
Old 03-12-2015, 09:12 AM

Smile

I feel that if it had a Brazilian rosewood back and sides with a mastergrade top etc- and it had a great sound -that would be the guitar --i love bling , today's D-45's to me have been disappointing and their not the same animal , even the way the inlay is done is not the same -even then i like the older torch style rather than the big Martin letter inlays ( think thats homely )
But to each their own - Now a days I'm in the though that Handmade is better than Manufactured Production guitars like Martin and Taylor , my Mike Franks ( in my opinion ) Sounds hands above the modern Martin sound -If i could swing it Id have him build me a Hog Dread , plain ebony board and brazilian rosewood bridge -etc.
But im glad we all have different tastes in guitars -because if everyone liked what i did -id never get a good deal on a sensational guitar again !
Old 03-12-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
The D45 itself was only available used at nearly $9,000. I won't ever spend that kind of money on a guitar, but wanted to give one a whirl. I was disappointed. This guitar was certainly not worth 4x the cost of a D28. I suppose it was a case of this specific guitar, as I have heard nothing but praise for D45s, and have heard some excellent recordings of them.
Yes, exactly. Each guitar, like each human, is an individual. And what s/he looks like has nothing whatsoever to do with how s/he performs.

Pictures of musical instruments are like sculptures of food.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion