The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-14-2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
The slender Shubb will solve this issue
I have a number of Shubbs that I've used for years but find them a bit more fiddly for getting clear and buzz-free notes. They work, but require a couple of adjustments (requiring a bit of time) each time I want to shift to another location on the neck.

As I originally stated, a Shubb Deluxe is my long time backup capo, but not really the best choice (for me) as an "everyday driver".
Old 11-14-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Why is the Pivot at an angle? I looks like the pad is further from the fret on the low e than the high e. Dunlop sent me a Pivot that I’ll try when my hand heals an I can play again. Interestingly, they sent it to replace my Victor where the screw mechanism doesn’t work right. If you want to keep the capo mechanism far from your hand, check out a Colorado Capo.
It isn't. Must be optical illusion from the photo angle. Normally the capo is slanted the other direction for those who like to slant. This would make the thumb contact with the tensioning knob even more of a problem. The knurling on the knob is quite rough if you contact it.

The worn screw is a known problem with the Victor design, but I have had no problem that rendered it inoperable. If the screw wore out I'd gladly purchase a new one and consider all the use I've got from it to be worth the investment.

I think the majority of wear that users have with the Victor capo is really caused from the pad design and would not be an issue if they used the same pad that is fitted to the Pivot capo.

I'm familiar with the Colorado, but even though the mechanism is further back I'm still adverse to anything hanging down from the rear of the neck and still like less "bulky looking" capos.

Last edited by Rudy4; 11-14-2021 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-14-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Thanks for your efforts with your review Rudy.

A lot of folks are now positioning their capos more in the middle of the space between the fret wire. I have tried this and it doesn't seem to make any difference in terms of sound except on something like the Planet Waves/D'Addario NS capo. (The NS capo, IMO, really needs to be very close to the fret wire to sound decent.)

You might try this center spacing to give yourself a little more room for your thumb and fingers. It might make that new Dunlop capo more acceptable.

I had a Dunlop Victor capo in the past somewhere, but I gave it to one of my grand children. I remember it as a good design.

- Glenn
Thank you for the comments, Glenn.

I don't have very good luck with any capo when placed back more than about a 1/4" behind the fret. It's probably due to my preference for relatively low frets; higher crowns might not present as much of a problem with producing clear notes without the need to pull the strings down tighter to the board, which exacerbates the aforementioned pitch shift from applying a capo.
Old 11-14-2021, 01:59 PM

Thanks for your review. I appreciate the details and the thoroughness.
I have been using Shubb capos for my 6 and 12 string guitars for 20 years and also have a Victor that I bought about 5 years ago. The Victor seems to work especially well on the fretboard of my Petros. I also have a Kyser that I very much dislike.
I agree with your assessment of the Victor and would add that I love the heft and weight of the capo. It might be just in my head but I believe that it improves sustain.
Christian
Old 11-14-2021, 02:17 PM

For those with an interest in capo weight, the Victor checks in at 53 grams and the Dunlop Pivot at 54 grams... pretty much a wash as far as capo mass goes.

Quick, put the coffee scale back before my wife sees me using it for guitar purposes...
Old 11-14-2021, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Really nice job on the video Rudy. Thanks for posting.

I've been trying out various copos, the latest being a D'Addario Pro Plus. If you've tried that one, how would you compare it to the Victor?
Old 11-14-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Really nice job on the video Rudy. Thanks for posting.

I've been trying out various copos, the latest being a D'Addario Pro Plus. If you've tried that one, how would you compare it to the Victor?
As a bit of a capo "collector" I also own the D'Addario Pro Plus.
I did a pretty extensive posting about my thoughts on that capo in the "Definitive D'Addario Pro Plus" review topic:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=578478

Comparing it to the Victor is a bit of apples to oranges comparison. The Pro Plus does effect the sound, making it a bit softer. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just a point to consider. It also has the tensioning adjustment knob placed lower on the capo, but the capo is a little narrower so it's not as likely to be contacted. The tensioning knob also has a soft rubber ring to make it easier to grip that doesn't chew away your skin when it is contacted.

The video I posted earlier is done with the D'Addario Pro Plus, but was done to demonstrate that the capos that have adjustable tension and claim to "not effect tuning" do tend to effect it so minimally that it doesn't require re-tuning when the capo is shifted.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion