The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-12-2021, 06:50 PM

My awesome 12 string is for sale on AGF so that answers this question. I like the sound of it on some songs but its more hastle than its worth to carry around so it just doesn't get played a lot. Have to let it go.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 11-12-2021, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
Title says it all…
  • How many of you that gig utilize both a six string and a twelve string?
  • How do you feel about it and, more importantly, how do your patrons feel about it?
  • Are there specific songs or types of songs that you use the 12 on?
  • Do you switch back and forth or try to lump 12 string songs together?
  • Do your patrons “get” 12 strings? Is there any acknowledgement that some of the songs are played on a 12?
Any other comments welcome….
Depends upon the gig. On one I have in about a week I will be expected to play quite a variety of music on different instruments, so the 12 will be featured and probably a resonator as well as the 6 string and non-guitar string instruments . IF there is sufficient space on stage. The audience always love to see my playing different instruments and I keep switching them. Since I use a mike, not p/ups, this is easy to do. For me, certain songs are better, feel "right" on a 12 - while others don't.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-13-2021, 05:57 PM

Default For you solo “giggers”…do you use both a 6 string and a 12 string?

For me it depends on the gig. I am always equipped to use both a 6 and 12 string. I have an A-B switch on the pedal board and 6 and 12 string guitar settings on my TC HELICON Play Acoustic. When I bring the 12, I start my second set with about 6-7 12 string songs, then finish the set with the six. Most people don’t notice the difference, those who really know music really like it.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Love playing certain songs on the 12 string; some just don't sound right without it, while others benefit from the paired courses to double up single note lines, give a bit more weight to them (especially bass lines).
This is my feeling, too. My only issue is that in some venues my 12-string (a 50 year-old Framus) doesn't project well, which requires me to mic it. Not all venues are able to do so, or their sound guy doesn't know how. I'm not really a fan of amplified acoustics, but reality says that it's needed in some places.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rko View Post
I recently bought a 12 for that purpose. I haven’t used it yet and don’t know whether I will or not. 12 strings are annoying, in my opinion, and they limit you when playing. Tune, play. Retune, play…
They are a challenge, I'll admit. Don't tune the string open tune the notes of the root chord - works better for me. Martin - tricky, Harmony better.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion