The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-11-2021, 03:47 PM

EJ21 strings (D'Addario). I run them on all my electric guitars. 12 - 52 wound G string. Easy to switch back and forth. Granted, I'm not doing any bends, but it works well for me.
Old 11-11-2021, 03:56 PM

It’s probably been said, but you can have both set up to play the same - 25.5” scale and 10’s 11’s or 12’s on either - meaning your Strat can play like an acoustic or your Martin can play like an electric, unless it needs a neck reset.
The Strat is narrower, the Martin is wider, but millions don’t have an issue with that - you’re less likely to finger style an electric anyway.
Old 11-11-2021, 05:33 PM

I find myself strumming more (and singing along) with my acoustics and strumming and doing lead playing with my electrics. Electrics are much easier.
Old 11-11-2021, 05:40 PM

I actually raised this question recently also. I know they share similarities but I absolutely cannot play an electric guitar.

They seem so heavy and strings feel weird as hell to me. It just seems so foreign. And I have really nice electrics and really nice acoustics all with good setups. But the electrics might as well be trombones. I just can't play them.

Makes me sad.
Old 11-11-2021, 07:52 PM

Default Switching between acoustic and electric

Until very recently - and solely as a concession to age - I never used anything lighter than 12's on any of my electrics (13's on my jazzboxes) and, like the '50s blues/jazz/rockabilly players, extremely low action...

No problem...
Old 11-12-2021, 12:49 AM
Charter Member

Raj it's all part of the journey. In recent years (I'm 66) I've started moving towards 000's and 00's with shorter scales (24.9/25"); yeh they're a little more comfortable. I play some electric as well, but I think the move to smaller body/shorter scale would have happened regardless. I still have a couple larger/25.5" (acoustic and electric) as well, and I still play them too. One thing you may find is, like most things that are new, it may become easier for you to switch between electric and acoustic as you get use to the going back and forth. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Last edited by gmel555; 11-12-2021 at 02:16 AM.
Old 11-12-2021, 01:01 AM

Just play everything, all the time. You get used to it and don't even notice after a while.

I keep the acoustic du jour on a stand next to my chair, and an electric plugged into a Marshall tube amp with a couple of pedals nearby.

Play 'em all, and always make sure you have a guitar or three at hand.

If you play enough, you get over all the preferences and stop caring about acoustic or electric or classical, nut width, scale length, string spacing, and all the other stuff.

And then the world of guitars is wide open to you. You can pick up anything and be happy to play it.

No limits. That's what you want. And if you play everything, every chance you get, you'll get there.
Old 11-12-2021, 03:20 PM

Default Thank you

Many interesting and useful responses here. Thanks a lot for chiming in. I can always count on AGF community for inspiration. Thanks!
Old 11-12-2021, 06:19 PM

One of the things I like about my Strat is with it's vintage bridge it has the same string spacing at the saddle as my Larrivee's. I think what's been useful for me is a recent string change to 11 - 48s compared to my acoustic 12 - 53s. The feel is pretty similar going from one to the other so I don't have the issue the OP has going from one to the other.

My Strat only get's played about 10% of the time and mainly when I need to capo high up the neck. I'll always prefer the wonderful acoustic tone of a string vibrating a pretty wood box which my Strat will never approach.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponserv View Post
I actually raised this question recently also. I know they share similarities but I absolutely cannot play an electric guitar.

They seem so heavy and strings feel weird as hell to me. It just seems so foreign. And I have really nice electrics and really nice acoustics all with good setups. But the electrics might as well be trombones. I just can't play them.

Makes me sad.
While I can play both, I generally dont enjoy them both the same. My playing style on an electric is almost a polar opposite to the way I play an acoustic, so if I'm inspired in one direction I generally wont enjoy the other instrument so much.

That said, I've recently been starting to incorporate elements of my electric guitar style into my acoustic playing, and I'm excited about the results. I've always found the results of trying to carry over the other way to be pretty unsatisfying though.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:48 AM

Although I have played music my whole life (trumpet), I am relatively recent to guitar. And I have what I call guitar ADD. I’ll hear a blues thing and say, “Ooh! I want to play like that.” And I’ll chase that. A week or month later, I’ll hear some great bluegrass, and it’s “Ooh! Ooh! I want to play like that!” And then it’s off in that direction. Then I’ll hear some nice jazz stuff and, “Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! I wanna do that.” And so on.

Lately, I’ve been trying to be more disciplined. I try to play both and acoustic and the electric pretty much every day, even if it’s only for a few minutes on each. I’m probably spread too thin to get really good in any genre, but what the heck, it’s all for fun, right?

As far as switching back and forth, I think it’s a lot like switching between Bb and C trumpet. I think of them as different instruments. Those 2 trumpets are generally used for different types of music. Musical style is different, the blow is different, the intonation is different, etc. but if you play both regularly, switching back and forth with is a non-event.

With the guitar, I may or may not hold them differently. Finger pressure with the fretting hand is different. Musical style is different, which dictates different picking, strumming, chords, licks, etc. I wouldn’t attempt bluegrass on the electric. I can’t get a 335 jazz tone on a dread. They are different instruments. But if you go back and forth frequently, it’s a non-event. Besides, my favorite guitar is always whichever one I am holding. It’s all good.

My 2 cents.

John
Old 11-13-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmist View Post
...My Strat only get's played about 10% of the time and mainly when I need to capo high up the neck. I'll always prefer the wonderful acoustic tone of a string vibrating a pretty wood box which my Strat will never approach.
Have you tried a hollow-body electric of some kind, especially one with mini-humbuckers (Gretsch Electromatic 5400/Professional Series, Epiphone Riviera) or P-90's (Godin Kingpin/CW II) - should be exactly what you need...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion