The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-11-2021, 11:52 AM

I like the look, I appreciate the slightly lighter weight, I truly appreciate the ergonomics of tuning with them, and I've never had an issue with restringing them. My preference is probably aesthetic first, but there are some functional reasons I prefer them too.

I've never understood the hate some people have for them. I don't hate paddle heads, I have more of them than slotheads, but I do tend to think that the steel string guitar world moved from slotheads to paddle more for manufacturing reasons than because it was a better design for the player.
B&J Serenader Round Hole Archtop
Guild F212XL
Bruno Lyra Jumbo
Old 11-11-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Slotheads are my preference mostly due to the ergonomics of tuning. My slightly arthritic hands experience sharp pain at times when using vertical tuners. My slot heads don't trigger that pain.

Re-stringing is no problem; I simply put a sharp bend in the string approximately three inches past the tuner's string post, cut the end 1/2" past the bend, stick the string through and wind. I also never have to worry about sticking myself with a sharp string end or catching the soft fabric of a gig bag.

I build everything I play and have made many banjos and a few guitars using Grover Sta-tite Deluxe tuners for slot heads and love them for price and smooth function. I pull the buttons and replace with ABS or wood buttons to reduce head stock / peg head weight.

There will always be those that are firmly entrenched in one tuner orientation or the other, no problem with relegating it to personal preference.

I know what you mean about the advantage of non vertical tuners. I have thumb joint issues in my hands and many times when restringing/tuning my paddle head guitars I get sharp pain in that joint. Never had that issue with slot heads.
Old 11-11-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommieboy View Post
I LOVE the looks of them but shy away from them now. I have arthritic hands, and the simple paddle head is much easier for me to deal with. But, as noted above, Silly Moustache has had a different experience.

I once asked a luthier why some of his 12 fretters had paddle heads, and why some of his 14 fretters had slot heads? He responded that it was what the owners of the various guitar requested. I then asked him it made a tonal difference? I was surprised when he said not really, that it was mostly one of aesthetics and traditions. Over the years, he has conducted "blind taste tests" with the various configurations, and very few if anyone got it right. He had similar results to his EIR vs Brazilian Rosewood "blind taste tests."

Tommy
I never really discerned any significant tone difference between the two styles either.
Old 11-11-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Slotted headstocks are an extension of the classical head-stock.
Solid headstocks are cheaper to make.

Slotted headstocks are far more ergonomic when adjusting the tuning.

Slotted headstocks are far easier to de- and restring than slabheads.

Slotted headstocks to not get scratched by strings like slabheads do.

Slotted headstocks enable the strings to run squarely over the nut without touching each other (if strung properly).

See :

Here's my old video on restringing - ..note - it's long - get coffee first.

Thanks for your comments and the great videos as well SM, much appreciated. Btw, what is the model of that slot head dread in the videos, really nice instrument.
Old 11-11-2021, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

They look cool. I have two, a John How Ladder Braced Concert and a Pono Parlor 12 String.

Those that write slotheads are easier to restring, I invite them over to restring the 12 string, plan for a couple days. There are so many objective reasons paddleheads are easier to restring.
Old 11-11-2021, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
Thanks for your comments and the great videos as well SM, much appreciated. Btw, what is the model of that slot head dread in the videos, really nice instrument.
hi, on the first video I'm showing my Collings 0002h and my Waterloo WL12.
On the second it is a Collings DS2h. (12 fret dread)
Old 11-11-2021, 12:36 PM
Eric Skye

I guess one could bring up the hotly debated break-angle-at-the nut-thing -but I have no strong feelings either way on that one, let alone any scientific insight.. I will say, subjectively, that for me, aesthetically I love a slot head - it just looks like a classic guitar to me, and my own preferences lean vintage. Things like paddleheads, cutaways, barndoor eletroncics...personally turn me off, though I get that many people find them very convenient and find them attractive. Objectively though, I'll say that I personally think it's way easier to change strings on a slothead, contrary to popular opinion.
Old 11-11-2021, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

hi, just to respond to some comments :

Cameleye wrote : "Most of my guitars are slotheads. Just like the look. Plus most slotheads are paired with widernecked guitars which I also dig.
Stringing has never presented a problem".

Yup, it was the wider fretboard that i went for the slotted head stock was just a bonus. Pre 1930s Martin designs.

tommieboy wrote:

"I once asked a luthier why some of his 12 fretters had paddle heads, and why some of his 14 fretters had slot heads? He responded that it was what the owners of the various guitar requested. I then asked him it made a tonal difference? I was surprised when he said not really, that it was mostly one of aesthetics and traditions".

Totally agree. No real sonic difference.

Methos1979 wrote:

There are definitely some guitars where a paddle headstock just looks better.

Totally agree esp. if modelled on Gibson styles, or 14 fret Martins.

Hehe ! this thread was kinda made for me wasn't it?
Old 11-11-2021, 12:50 PM

I much prefer slotheads. They look better and I find them easier to restring (I've had far more practice with them). My slabheads tend to have dead strings on them because I put off restringing them. The treble strings give me grief.
Old 11-11-2021, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

1) they look better
2) better downward angle/force on the nut
3) easier to string than paddle head
4) reduced weight
5) lower wind resistance for high speed playing

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-11-2021, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
1) they look better
2) better downward angle/force on the nut
3) easier to string than paddle head
4) reduced weight
5) lower wind resistance for high speed playing
#5 is the deal maker for me!
Old 11-11-2021, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Old and new.

20211106_122239.jpg20211106_122301.jpg

20211020_080858.jpg20211020_080832.jpg
Old 11-11-2021, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

I’ve owned several slot head guitars and prefer paddle heads. I would never let headstock design influence a purchase, however whenever I order a custom build I choose the paddle head design as my preference. I have never had any trouble changing strings on a slot head, but I do think it’s slightly more difficult to adjust the tuning pegs on a slot head while it’s laying flat on a workbench (tuning pegs facing down) during string changes. And I have absolutely no problem tuning a guitar with either headstock design. I simply don’t understand the ergonomic argument whatsoever. Lastly, I simply like the variety of design styles available with paddle heads. I prefer the aesthetic of paddle heads
Old 11-11-2021, 02:27 PM

Regarding the reduced weight benefit, it is my understanding a slot head design can at times come in at the same weight as a paddle head.

Tommy
Old 11-11-2021, 02:36 PM

Ahhhhhh....Square vs Round slots....

I had a friend who would go off the deep end when discussing the shape of the slots.

Tommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion