The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-28-2021, 05:49 AM
Charter Member

Default Guitar post/ad photos that hurt my brain

I know we all hate it when people post NGD threads or classified ads without photos here on AGF (and other places) but then there are photos that make us cringe. Bad lighting, out of focus, photos that look like they were taken with that Kodak Instamatic camera with flash cubes that our parents had and somehow digitized. But then there are photos like this one from a recent ad on Reverb. This just drives me nearly insane. And when I see it in person I really lose my mind! What about you? Post a photo of a guitar that drives you nuts.

Old 10-28-2021, 05:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Ditto, can’t stand to see guitars wit strings uncut like that, and almost as bad are the ones that take time to make a circle with the excess. I am in total agreement. If I wanted to buy said guitars I would have second thoughts. It makes me wonder if you don’t even take time to snip the excess what else do you not do to the guitars. You will probably get get contrary opinions.
Old 10-28-2021, 06:05 AM

I also hate it when the tuners look like that. I used to play in bands back in the day. I knew it was going to be a painful audition when a guitarist or bassist took something like this out of the case.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:03 AM

Wonky tuners. Especially on expensive Gibson Les Pauls...

Old 10-28-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Cross View Post
Ditto, can’t stand to see guitars wit strings uncut like that, and almost as bad are the ones that take time to make a circle with the excess. I am in total agreement. If I wanted to buy said guitars I would have second thoughts. It makes me wonder if you don’t even take time to snip the excess what else do you not do to the guitars. You will probably get get contrary opinions.
While I personally dislike the uncut look I don't think it really has anything to do with a player's love for playing nor for their instrument. Lots of famous guitar players leave 'em like that and it doesn't seem to matter. Tom Morello is one that immediately comes to mind. Maybe the time saved from cutting is better spent practicing and/or cleaning the guitar? Eh, probably not.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:52 AM

Old 10-28-2021, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

If this bothers you, stay away from Zillow, especially for Oahu!

Really, could they at least put the dishes away and make the bed?!
Old 10-28-2021, 08:58 AM

But actually what bothers me the most is people setting guitars on concrete. See it all the time on Reverb and Ebay.

I've posted this one before:

https://reverb.com/item/40826399-mar...show_sold=true

Old 10-28-2021, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

I'm not an overly fastidious guy, but uncut strings on the headstock really bother me. It also completely drives my wife nuts, if we go see one of my friends play and they have that kind of a mess on the headstock, she'll go up and tell them to clip their strings. LOL
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 10-28-2021, 09:25 AM

I could be mistaken, but I think I recall seeing pics of the great Tommy Emmanuel playing guitars with unsightly untrimmed strings. Being the neat and tidy type myself, I keep my nails and my strings closely cropped. 😂 But hey, if an untidy headstock floats your boat, have at it I say. No harm - no foul!
Old 10-28-2021, 09:27 AM

The ones I love are the Craigslist ads that say something like: "Alvarez guitar" and no other description, and have one blurry photo taken from about 50 feet away with the guitar filling about 10% of the frame.

Also, it is obvious that a lot of people have no idea how to re-string a guitar. The loose string ends bother me less than seeing a dozen wraps around the tuning post overlapping each other and coming off the top of the post.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
The ones I love are the Craigslist ads that say something like: "Alvarez guitar" and no other description, and have one blurry photo taken from about 50 feet away with the guitar filling about 10% of the frame.
"Recently tuned" in the ad is always a strong selling point for me.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 10-28-2021, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
"Recently tuned" in the ad is always a strong selling point for me.

Or “brand new strings”, as if f that will get me to buy it.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Cross View Post
Ditto, can’t stand to see guitars wit strings uncut like that, and almost as bad are the ones that take time to make a circle with the excess.
I did the circle thing for years - motivated mostly because I was poor and I thought if I cut the excess strings I would never be able to re-use them. I tried to make them as neat as possible, but economy was always on my mind. Over the years (and with a bit more financial stability) I refined my guitar-stringing practices.

But as to the original issue - I see horrible ads all the time in Craigslist - terrible pictures (dark, out of focus, unattractive settings), inaccurate (or non-existent) description - even of the basic things like Manufacturer or model.
Old 10-28-2021, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

In the Dark, at a distance, and out of focus are the things that make me cringe. Perhaps in part because these remind me of me way back in my early days of dating ……

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion