The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-12-2021, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Bob Taylor stated in one of the past issues of "Wood & Steel" that he actually likes zero frets but wouldn't choose to use one because the guitar purchasing public is very conservative and prefers tradition designs.

I'd say that sums it up. I use them when I build instruments, but sometimes opt for the traditional nut for the same reasons.
Uh, but all the other hype he's fed this "very conservative" group are "improvements?"

"The Zero Sonic Series" (TM) in 3..2..1...
Old 11-12-2021, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchnspeed View Post
Uh, but all the other hype he's fed this "very conservative" group are "improvements?"

"The Zero Sonic Series" (TM) in 3..2..1...
????

Yes, the Taylor NT neck joint allows a neck reset that takes about 15 minutes.

The arched laminated braceless backs of instruments like the GS Mini serve to make a much more resonant instrument at a reduced cost.

All the automation, essentially pioneered by Taylor, has made it possible to provide guitars of consistently high quality.

Bob Taylor has never been afraid to roll the dice when he and the Taylor team feel they are furthering the design of the acoustic guitar.

Would you feel better about the "hype" if he produced instruments that could be reliably counted on to require the bindings being re-attached, bridges that often lift prematurely, finishes that bubble and lift, hardware that fails when you need it the most, etc.?

Being the owner of a company that has the street cred of Taylor Guitars comes with the responsibility of knowing that one day you have to turn over the keys to a new captain.

Ultimately we all hope that the decision making process proves to be fruitful, and one day you might just see more makers shift towards more innovative designs and bracing patterns.

Even old stalwart company owners can sometimes give in to those "hyped" innovations like truss rods. Martin fought them as long as they could.

Perhaps there are lessons to be learned by looking at the "hype" presented by companies like Taylor and even more progressives like the carbon fibre instrument makers.

I'm sorry, What was your question?...
Old 11-13-2021, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
"On paper" it seems obvious that it's an improvement. But tradition and ignorance trumps science and knowledge I guess. People aren't used to seeing them. They are strange and therefore "bad".

Frankly, I can't understand why they aren't almost mandatory.
What he said...
Old 11-13-2021, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

Roger Bucknall, the builder of the highly-acclaimed ‘Fylde’ range of guitars and fretted folk instruments in the UK, gives his reasoning for using the zero-fret here…

https://www.fyldeguitars.com/zero-frets.html

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 11-14-2021, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
????

I'm sorry, What was your question?...
Hi there - I believe you significantly missed my point, that Taylor has incorporated "innovations" arguably far more away from "traditional" than the zero fret with no issue. It just calls into question whether BT actually wanted to use the zero fret (nothing suggests he needs to, other than the referenced comment) it just would need a spin blitz. That's all!
Old 11-14-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchnspeed View Post
Hi there - I believe you significantly missed my point, that Taylor has incorporated "innovations" arguably far more away from "traditional" than the zero fret with no issue. It just calls into question whether BT actually wanted to use the zero fret (nothing suggests he needs to, other than the referenced comment) it just would need a spin blitz. That's all!
Thanks, Scotch.

As far as Taylor's innovations go, the zero fret is glaringly obvious to players. Ta
ylor's other contributions are for the most part "under the hood", so don't effect the perception of an instrument nearly as much as the zero fret.

I believe that was BT's point about not being able to incorporate it in his instruments.
Old 11-14-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko61 View Post
It's funny but there are people who attribute the 0 fret to low-quality guitars from Europe, however there are luthiers who miss the use of the 0 fret and some of them renowned continue to use it.
I know, for example, Olav Loef who uses it on his magnificent guitars. Do you know any other luthiers who continue to include the 0 fret on their guitars?
Not just in Europe but over here in North America too. At one point there were cheap guitars made with zero frets and perhaps that spurred perception that associates zero fret with low quality. As others have mentioned there are some high quality guitars made with zero frets.
Old 11-14-2021, 11:47 AM

0 Fret

Back in the day ('69 or '70) I had an EKO Ranger XII (12 string) with a '0' fret. Thing was built like a tank (and maybe played like one too), but at the time it was my only acoustic guitar and I had lots of fun with it.

The '0' fret never bothered me, so I didn't bother it.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 11-14-2021, 01:14 PM

NK / Nigel Forster uses zero frets.
Old 11-14-2021, 01:53 PM

I would very much welcome a move to a zero fret guitar by any of the major companies. Had one guitar once that had it, and liked it. Since then, I have had multiple guitars with nut slot issues.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion