The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-17-2024, 02:29 PM

BC TAD-1R 100 and Dunlop 477R508 Primetone®, Large Pointed Tip, 5.0mm are my go-tos for most of my guitars both acoustic and electric.
Old 04-17-2024, 02:52 PM

Pricing aside I prefer Dunlop Primetones. Similar feel but a slightly darker tone as compared to the BC’s I’ve tried which suits my ear.
Old 04-17-2024, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iparkforfree View Post
I thought you were fingerstyle only on your smaller guitars.
Hi,if that was to me, then yes, pretty much, although I have a pickbox (with picks and capo) for each.

I'm guessing you have see my Y/T rant about demos :

My "changeover" point for using picks is my 000 and my Waterloo, which both wear lights. The Martin style 0 and 00 - yup pretty much fingernails.

The 000 can handle both, but yesterday, I actually found the dread with mediums less painful than the 000 with lights. (same scale, same action).
Old 04-18-2024, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Edit -[I] additional info. My CMC Joint (The thumb carpometacarpal joint), on my right hand has "gone" -according to my doctor, and one of my former clients "you don't want to have surgery there!" -not that it would be available currently anyway.
I use my TAD40 on all guitars of different size. Doubt that helps any. And I had that surgery 2 months ago, my right had is now good for nothing. I recently started trying to play again, I'm good for 5-10 minutes and it's very sloppy. They say time to heal will be close to a year. Don't do the surgery until you absolutely have to! Unless you want someone else to zip your coat, open anything with a lid or get limited sleep due to the pain.
Old 04-19-2024, 02:57 AM

Quote:

Edit - additional info. My CMC Joint (The thumb carpometacarpal joint), on my right hand has "gone" -according to my doctor, and one of my former clients "you don't want to have surgery there!" -not that it would be available currently anyway.

Hi Andy,

For your thumb, I wonder if the Pickboy GP-KOTO picks would help. They have a medallion and bumps in the center of a triangle. The material is celluloid (the classic nitro variety), and you’ll probably have to ship it from Japan.

In another thread, I measured the average output of this Pickboy versus Wegen versus a BC TAD40. The BC cuts the treble above 3KHz, the Wegen has a relative treble boost between 3KHz and 4KHz and cuts treble above 4KHz, and the Pickboy is relatively flat. That makes the Pickboy sound bright in comparison.
Furch D24 SR 12 string
Rickenbacker 330w 6 string
Old 04-19-2024, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Mssr. Moustache,
I use a different one depending on the guitar and the climate conditions. I have two jazz picks--the BC Jazz 35 and a BC Jazz 50 as well as an IBJ55 one that is a bit larger with holes in the middle. I generally get better results from the heavier picks on the smaller guitars that have less bass response or the more fragile ones that need lighter strings. Maybe it's just my ears but on some days the sound and resonance of my guitars seem to change with the temperature and humidity. When that happens I just change picks until I get the sound I like.
Old 04-19-2024, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Hi Toneseeker, and hogs and roses, thanks for this detailed research.

The Japanese picks aren't available in the UK, and importing is increasingly difficult now with many companies refusing to deal with the UK.
(something to do with our new rules post Brexit I believe).

I see tat they are .75 m/m (too thin for me) and celluloid - a material that I don't care for.

It seems that the thicker the pick the less pain, hence my new preference of BC TAD60s - but I do appreciate your consideration.
Thanks.
Old 04-19-2024, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

BTW all,

I stumbled on this video, that you should all see :

Old 04-19-2024, 10:28 AM

I use a TP48 for everyday acoustic guitar and a TD35 for electric playing and a CT55 for mandolin. I also have a TD40 for bass.
Old 04-19-2024, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
BTW all,

I stumbled on this video, that you should all see :

Well, that certainly explains their color!!! 😂
Old 04-19-2024, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

My thumb joint hurts pretty much all the time, but I can still ignore it. There are a few things I've found to be helpful. Mandolinist Mike Compton has a pick grip that is different than most to create more power. Google him and it should come up. It places the pick over the index knuckle for less flex, so you can lighten up on your thumb pressure and still get a solid attack. The other is just lighten up on everything. Let the guitar do the work. It's is good practice to play as lightly as you can as it opens up more dynamic range on the soft side of things, and a guitar's tone can be really satisfying with a softer attack. Playing soft with speed and articulation is a challenge.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-20-2024, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
Well, that certainly explains their color!!! 😂
Indeed.

But not the name...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 04-20-2024, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
My thumb joint hurts pretty much all the time, but I can still ignore it. There are a few things I've found to be helpful. Mandolinist Mike Compton has a pick grip that is different than most to create more power. Google him and it should come up. It places the pick over the index knuckle for less flex, so you can lighten up on your thumb pressure and still get a solid attack. The other is just lighten up on everything. Let the guitar do the work. It's is good practice to play as lightly as you can as it opens up more dynamic range on the soft side of things, and a guitar's tone can be really satisfying with a softer attack. Playing soft with speed and articulation is a challenge.
All good, but I found the Mike C video (below) and it appears that he holds the pick in the normal way.

Your comment about the pick hold is good - and I advise folks not to "grip" but to hold.

I did a vid on this a while ago :

Here's Mike :
Old 04-20-2024, 08:26 AM

I’m having a celluloid pick renaissance after playing BlueChips for a while. I do love my TAD 50s for single note work. But lately I’ve been playing my 1960 Hummingbird Fixed Bridge and it’s a strummer. Celluloid pick click is part of the sound and when recording it’s what gives that nice rhythmic percussive sound.
1972 Gibson SJ Deluxe
2019 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird Fixed Bridge

…don’t even get me started on electrics - too many to list.
Old 04-20-2024, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
I’m having a celluloid pick renaissance after playing BlueChips for a while. I do love my TAD 50s for single note work. But lately I’ve been playing my 1960 Hummingbird Fixed Bridge and it’s a strummer. Celluloid pick click is part of the sound and when recording it’s what gives that nice rhythmic percussive sound.
Am I the only one who cannot distinguish between the sound of a celluloid pick and a Blue Chip of the same size, shape, thickness and bevel?

I like both materials and use celluloid at home and Blue Chip when playing out (the reason being that I can be confident it won't shred during a high spirited performance).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion