The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2014, 09:52 PM

Default Changing strings - No sharp ends on pegs

Changed my strings yesterday. I don't cut to length before winding. This time I didn't actually cut them afterward either; instead I bent and twisted them until they just broke off (took a few seconds each). Not a hint of a sharp end to get poked or cut with! Played for more than an hour last night and again tonight, can't see anything wrong with it. Does anyone else do this?
Old 05-05-2014, 10:22 PM

Yep, this is the only way I ever do it.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:42 AM

I used to do this, but then on a couple occasions my high E string completely slipped off the peg as I was tuning. I don't know why, maybe my hands were sweaty and it made the strings more slick. Anyway I now give each string one wrap above the posthole, then a few below, then cut the string leaving an eighth of an inch of string which gets clamped down by the windings above and below it. Seems more stable.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:58 AM

Good idea. I don't have cutters that can cut very close to the posts.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:51 AM

I never trim the strings before I bring them up to tune for the first time.

Part of my kit is a pair of heavy-duty toenail clippers that have never touched a toenail; they're dedicated string-snippers (they look like miniature wire-cutters). Once a string's been tuned for the first time, I snip it. Sometimes I'll trim them down a bit more after a few plays.

Now I must get back to my favorite classical. Just changed the strings, so we're in marathon re-tuning mode. (How many miles long do they stretch before they finally settle in?)
Nimbus 2000 (2000)

Kamaka Gold Label Soprano (c. 1960s) / Nameless "Chicago-style" Soprano (1910s-30s[?]) / Keli'i Gold Series Tenor (2012?)

Kamoa E3-T Tenor (2012-13?)
Old 05-06-2014, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselynne View Post
I never trim the strings before I bring them up to tune for the first time.

Part of my kit is a pair of heavy-duty toenail clippers that have never touched a toenail; they're dedicated string-snippers (they look like miniature wire-cutters). Once a string's been tuned for the first time, I snip it. Sometimes I'll trim them down a bit more after a few plays.

Now I must get back to my favorite classical. Just changed the strings, so we're in marathon re-tuning mode. (How many miles long do they stretch before they finally settle in?)
I trim them after they are up close to tune (before stretching and double checking). I then bend the ends down so that they don't stab me.
I use a pair of spring loaded end cutters, much the same idea as toenail clippers but more rugged.
MJRB
Old 05-06-2014, 07:06 AM

Default string changes

I never trim the before I wind them up, and I've always been able to clip them close to the post and not been nicked by stray ends.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:17 AM

I've now twice chipped the finish off the headstock while cutting the wires after partially winding the strings. I think it was due to the wire cutter being too big for the job and not getting close to the peg easily. I might try your method.
Martin 000-28EC Crossroads
Martin HD 28 "Torrefied"
Old 05-06-2014, 07:23 AM
Guest 1928

I use a small pair of Kleins that I have had for 25 years or so. A larger pair would work too though. I cut at the top of the post and have never touched a headstock with them.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:29 AM
Guest 213

I use the so-called "Taylor method," and do cut the string before winding (once you get it down, it's very easy). I only leave about a max of 1 cm of string sticking out the peg, and it has never injured me

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion