The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2014, 11:43 AM

Default Gretch Jumbo Rancher

In my search of these I only found one topic from 2010 I believe. I wanted to get a acoustic electric and wondered if there are any new opinions of this red beast. Also there is a guy that sells them on flea bay for a hundred dollars under new prices, but claims they are new. I don't understand that either. I let a Seagull Artist Mosaic get away last week for under 500 dollars and makes me want to kick my own *** now

Last edited by rolltide; 05-05-2014 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Ha 1st post, I been a member on here a while though
Old 05-05-2014, 12:28 PM

Gretsch still makes this model. It is laminated Maple back and sides w/ a solid Spruce top.

Here is a link:

http://www.gretschguitars.com/produc...tno=2714022522

On that link there are several links to dealers, (Sweetwater and zZounds), and it looks like you can pick one up for just under $500.00.

It doesn't have the big "G" branded on the top in the photo shown.

I always liked the looks of this guitar, but I've never played one and can't be of any help on the tone and playability side.

Good Luck!
Old 05-05-2014, 12:58 PM

Default Tried a couple of these.

Two different times, in two different local stores, I tried out these Gretch Jumbo Ranchers. I love the looks, so I was hoping they would sound and play great. I could have easily seen myself carrying one of these home.

Unfortunately, both times I was kinda unimpressed. They played OK, but both times they sounded a little dead. Could have stumbled upon two subpar ones, or maybe both had dead strings, but the bottom line was that they didn't live up to my high hopes.

I would definitely try to find one if possible so that you can judge for yourself, before pulling the trigger and buying one online.

By the way, both times I was able to compare them in the same sitting with the Fender CJ290sce Jumbo 6 string. I was never a fan of Fender acoustic guitars, but these spruce/maple jumbo's are the exception. (You might note that I recently bought the 12 string version.) These Fenders were a little less money than the Gretch, and I thought they sounded better. I prefer the looks of the Gretch, though, so if I could find a good-sounding one I would still go for the Gretch.
Yamaha NTX700 nylon string A/E
Epiphone Sheraton II electric 6
Schecter Diamond Series electric 12 string

Last edited by TaylorTunes; 05-05-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:04 PM

Did you happen to try one of them plugged in. They seem to have a fairly narrow neck so I probably wouldn't like one. I was in the store last week and they had some nice looking Fenders, I haven't found any that sound better than my plain looking Seagull though
Old 05-05-2014, 04:55 PM

I purchased a Gretsch Jumbo Rancher about 6 months ago. Found a good price for a new factory refurb on eBay. I replaced the plastic bridge and nut with bone and it beefed up the tone considerably. New strings. Now it doesn't sound as thin, and complements many songs very well. I agree that the looks are impressive. It stands out from the "natural finish" of the acoustic masses.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:08 PM

Not to be a wet blanket, but all of the vintage Gretsch Ranchers I have played have been fairly horrible-sounding guitars. It's mostly because of the truly awful (from an acoustic standpoint) bridges they have on them:

This one appears to have been modified in the decades since it was built; someone took most of the metal out of it and adapted an archtop guitar bridge to fit:

The modern reissues are an improvement, again because of the more rational (and less totally insane) bridge design they've got on them now:

Still, from an acoustic standpoint they're pretty heavily built (some would say overbuilt,) and the electronics in the handful of the modern ones I've had a chance to play have not been especially impressive. So if the tone is the single most important aspect to you as a player, Rolltide, I think there are other guitars on the market around that same price point that are better.

But if you're a fan of the look and like the Rancher's mojo, then go for it. They're a solid product, just not one I find all that appealing for my own musical needs.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-06-2014, 04:56 AM

Default Didnt try the electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide View Post
Did you happen to try one of them plugged in. They seem to have a fairly narrow neck so I probably wouldn't like one. I was in the store last week and they had some nice looking Fenders, I haven't found any that sound better than my plain looking Seagull though
I didn't try the electronics. And as far as the Fender instead, I only meant the acoustic jumbo spruce/flamed maple model (cj290sce). I'm still not a fan of the Fender acoustic line overall, even though I just bought a 12 string jumbo.

The idea put forward about adding a bone nut and saddle might help a lot.

As for the Fenders vs. your Seagull, I'm not surprised. Seagull makes some nice guitars.
Yamaha NTX700 nylon string A/E
Epiphone Sheraton II electric 6
Schecter Diamond Series electric 12 string
Old 05-06-2014, 07:37 AM

That's all good information. I decided I can do without the red monster. Theres not really anywhere I can go try things out close to where I live. I have seen some Epiphone master bilts in the same price range. I'm like a guy I used to play golf with and he asked his wife if he could buy new clubs. She told him, well I doubt you are getting the full potential out of the ones you have with your ability

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion