The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyg View Post
Most would probably be folks I don't know that well.
Thanks everyone for the thoughts so far. I should clarify the above sentence. I started to write "Most will be folks I don't normally socialize with" but for some reason thought that almost sounded snooty. While I will know the folks I would invite, they are not persons I normally hang around with -- so a chance to get to know them better, I guess.

All the responses above have been very helpful.
Thanks.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 05-05-2014, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Billy - I would have greater concerns about doing something like this. Not trying to be negative, but as a self-defense instructor looking several moves ahead is what tend to do.

You may have loose friendships with many of these people - they may be more acquaintances than friends. The fact that you own so many instruments and share this with others you may not know well opens you up to robbery.

Even if none of these folks are shady and are all trustworthy (which is doubtful) word travels from friend to friend to friend on down the line - eventually someone unsavory will gain knowledge of your collection. I constantly have to remind people on Facebook how stupid it is to tell people they are going on vacation and even for how long.

Perhaps having an "open jam" at a coffee shop that needs business and pr would be better. You could take 2 or 3 instruments and not open yourself up to possible negative consequences.

if you feel like you could take a 20 dollar bill and set it out in the open and it not come up missing at the end of the gathering you're probably okay to do it. Otherwise, I'd suggest something else.

Just my (negative) .02
As a retired law enforcement officer and defensive handgun and tactics instructor I completely agree. People talk about KOOL things they see and they aren't always careful about who they talk to or who's listening.

Dave
Old 05-05-2014, 11:24 AM

I think it would be fun and I would do it but only with older people. Anyone under 25 would not be invited maybe even 30 and I am in my 30s but many of my peers don't take good care of things and just aren't as careful. Also if I were doing that I would be sure to have my gun collection on display at the same time lol. But honestly if you live in a really nice home people already know you have nice stuff. If you drive a nice car people don't follow you home so they can rob you. But then again I live in a small gated community of 20 or so homes with a guard at the gate and access is strictly limited so maybe that is why I don't worry.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:01 PM

Sage advice today!It is rather sad that one has to be so security conscious nowadays but it is essential; that a friend of a friend tag along may see your collection and see a theft opportunity.Limit the guests to those that are known to be trustworthy.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:11 PM

It wouldn't be something I would personally want to do, but that's just me. In this area, there are several people who sponsor monthly jams at their homes that are open to pretty much anyone who signs up. I've attended a couple of them and they are fun.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 05-05-2014, 01:28 PM

set it up in public first. that way you get a chance to scope out the people involved. then, you can invite the ones you may trust for a later date.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 05-05-2014, 01:59 PM

Cool Etiquette Question for an "Open House"

I would NEVER invite anyone into my house without knowing them first. It sounds like trouble waiting for a place to happen.

However, if you know the attendees, a small "dinner party" sounds very enjoyable, particularly if the spouses are also invited. If you plan to serve wine or cocktails (or beer) make sure it's BYOB, so you don't break the bank...and be sure to take the car keys away as the guests arrive.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 05-05-2014, 02:10 PM

The first thought I had when I read your post was the Joni Mitchell line:
"I was raised on robbery"
Old 05-05-2014, 02:13 PM

The security thing is a good point and you should take it seriously. However, perhaps a more pressing issue is whether you mind any of your guitars getting nicked, scratched, or even broken. It would be really hard to invite people over to look at your guitars and then tell them they cannot touch them. Their first instinct will be to play them. And you also mention giving them beer. Hmmmmmmmm - mixing alcohol and delicate high value guitars, what could go wrong?

My suggestion is if you want to have some folks over to your house to jam with, tell them to bring their own guitars and you should only have one or two at most, of your own guitars out for only you to play. The others will only play their own.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 05-05-2014, 02:18 PM

Actually, this sounds like good fun.

Greg Rappleye
Old 05-05-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Billy - I would have greater concerns about doing something like this. Not trying to be negative, but as a self-defense instructor looking several moves ahead is what tend to do.

You may have loose friendships with many of these people - they may be more acquaintances than friends. The fact that you own so many instruments and share this with others you may not know well opens you up to robbery.

Even if none of these folks are shady and are all trustworthy (which is doubtful) word travels from friend to friend to friend on down the line - eventually someone unsavory will gain knowledge of your collection. I constantly have to remind people on Facebook how stupid it is to tell people they are going on vacation and even for how long.

Perhaps having an "open jam" at a coffee shop that needs business and pr would be better. You could take 2 or 3 instruments and not open yourself up to possible negative consequences.

if you feel like you could take a 20 dollar bill and set it out in the open and it not come up missing at the end of the gathering you're probably okay to do it. Otherwise, I'd suggest something else.

Just my (negative) .02
Totally agree with this thinking. I wouldn't invite people I don't know well into my home.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

While I understand your pride of accomplishment with the new music room, I would never have a bunch of folks over to "view" my collection, unless I knew them well... both from a potential burglary/theft aspect as well as having folks handling your guitars who may or may not have the same sensibilities regarding fine instruments that you have...

Heck, I don't let people that I know fairly well play my guitars; not as a matter of course, any way... I sure would not let a bunch of loose "acquaintances" get their paws on my guitars... and I do not have nearly as many as you!

Not to mention the fact that, if you have such a stellar collection of instruments, your HOME is also pretty nice, and filled with nice things...

I just think you're inviting trouble to have folks over whom you have not "vetted"... there are plenty of places to go to play a bit, talk music and show off a couple guitars; I can not recommend that you do it at your home with folks who are basically strangers.

I have to add that I am one who believes that most folks are truly good people, and I am not generally a suspicious person... however, paying attention, having decent situational awareness and a modicum of foresight would tell me that this Open House is a BAD idea...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 05-05-2014, 03:57 PM

I'll bring chips and beer. What time you want me there?
Old 05-05-2014, 04:51 PM

I make sure everyone knows the 14 Martin prewar models I have under the bed are off limits. I let them know that the event is over at midnight because I have to get some rest before leaving on vacation in Europe for five weeks.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:53 PM

I can empathize with the OP. He wants to meet some other local people who share his enthusiasm for acoustic guitars. I sit here every day, thinking the same thing. I have all the guitars I'll ever need. I'd like to find some friends who share my interest and want to hang out and play.

If I lived closer to Memphis, I would come to the open house!

Greg Rappleye

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion