The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2014, 09:20 AM

Default Etiquette question -- want to have an "open house"

I recently finished converting a bedroom to a Guitar Room. I don't play out much and have never had day-to-day friendships with many musicians. But I do know many individuals who play around town and share my interest in guitars.
I want to show off my room and the instruments by inviting folks over for an open house of sorts and I am not quite sure about whether it is a good idea. I would invite folks over one weekend afternoon and have some light food, soda, beer, play and talk. Most would probably be folks I don't know that well.
1) I worry about whether it is just showing off and a jerk kind of thing to do. I admit to being self-conscious about having the number of instruments I have (around 20);
2) I wonder if other guitar hobbyists would find such an endeavor enjoyable (I know I would); and
3) I am no more than an intermediate player (and that might be flattering myself) and know that my skill set will be below most of those I invite.
Any thoughts?
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 05-05-2014, 09:39 AM

Billy - I would have greater concerns about doing something like this. Not trying to be negative, but as a self-defense instructor looking several moves ahead is what tend to do.

You may have loose friendships with many of these people - they may be more acquaintances than friends. The fact that you own so many instruments and share this with others you may not know well opens you up to robbery.

Even if none of these folks are shady and are all trustworthy (which is doubtful) word travels from friend to friend to friend on down the line - eventually someone unsavory will gain knowledge of your collection. I constantly have to remind people on Facebook how stupid it is to tell people they are going on vacation and even for how long.

Perhaps having an "open jam" at a coffee shop that needs business and pr would be better. You could take 2 or 3 instruments and not open yourself up to possible negative consequences.

if you feel like you could take a 20 dollar bill and set it out in the open and it not come up missing at the end of the gathering you're probably okay to do it. Otherwise, I'd suggest something else.

Just my (negative) .02

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-05-2014, 09:42 AM

1- I wish I lived closer
2- How big is the bedroom conversion?
3- Plan well in advance to give all time to schedule
4- Have good insurance and alarm system for when all the strangers leave.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Billy - I would have greater concerns about doing something like this. Not trying to be negative, but as a self-defense instructor looking several moves ahead is what tend to do.

You may have loose friendships with many of these people - they may be more acquaintances than friends. The fact that you own so many instruments and share this with others you may not know well opens you up to robbery.

Even if none of these folks are shady and are all trustworthy (which is doubtful) word travels from friend to friend to friend on down the line - eventually someone unsavory will gain knowledge of your collection. I constantly have to remind people on Facebook how stupid it is to tell people they are going on vacation and even for how long.

Perhaps having an "open jam" at a coffee shop that needs business and pr would be better. You could take 2 or 3 instruments and not open yourself up to possible negative consequences.

if you feel like you could take a 20 dollar bill and set it out in the open and it not come up missing at the end of the gathering you're probably okay to do it. Otherwise, I'd suggest something else.

Just my (negative) .02
The risk of robbery was the first thought in my mind as I was reading the OP. I would consider organizing a jam session at a local park, farmer's market, coffeehouse, etc. I would only let friends I really trust into my home with full cognizance of my inventory of instruments. Just too much risk otherwise in opening it up to acquaintances.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 05-05-2014, 09:44 AM

i would just stash most of the guitars away and only keep a few out. It would make you less insecure about showing off, and also because i wouldnt want a bunch of musicians( that i dont know) to know that i have a bunch of guitars.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:51 AM

I do it all the time, but not quite an open house..........

I have players over I know, and occasionally forum members from here or UMGF, but not total strangers, folks I've at least got to know on the forums or had calls with.

Most folks are great, but not all, a house full of strangers has a lot of potential for something going wrong or "missing".

I'm divorced, have a great place for parties and have a pretty nice studio, love company, but not total strangers............

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 05-05-2014, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have been to a few "guitar parties" and it mostly consists of a host inviting folks who love guitars, either because they make them or play them or love the people who make them and play them. Folks usually bring one or two of their own guitars and the host has a few of his/her own to play and share. There are a couple of understandings up front such as no one picks up someone else's guitar with out asking first.

I have always enjoyed these gatherings and I am not aware of anyone who has hosted these types of events having been the victim of any theivery. But I guess it is always possible.

I personally have found the guitar community in my area to be a pretty respectful bunch of folks.

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-05-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I have been to a few "guitar parties" and it mostly consists of a host inviting folks who love guitars, either because they make them or play them or love the people who make them and play them. Folks usually bring one or two of their own guitars and the host has a few of his/her own to play and share. There are a couple of understandings up front such as no one picks up someone else's guitar with out asking first.

I have always enjoyed these gatherings and I am not aware of anyone who has hosted these types of events having been the victim of any theivery. But I guess it is always possible.

I personally have found the guitar community in my area to be a pretty respectful bunch of folks.

Best,
Jayne
Jayne, I agree that most musicians are, for the most part, honest and open minded people. I would happily attend such a gathering, but wouldn't host one. Just don't like people I don't know well in my home.

Doesn't make my viewpoint right - just right for me. I thought the topic should be touched on as it seemed the OP did not, that's all. Better safe than sorry.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-05-2014, 10:19 AM

I think your interest in sharing your collection with others is great. However, I would offer the following thoughts.

Do you want your interactions with your fellow musicians to continue after the open house? If so, then I would plan an event around the music, and not the instruments, like the jam sessions suggested above. If you are interested in showing your collection, recognize that the act won't necessarily result in music based friendships. And, it might be a one time event that opens you up to crime (though very unlikely) as suggested above.

Let's use an analogy. Consider someone with an expensive car collection. If they invited you over to look at their collection, and offer your appreciation, it might be a nice thing to do on a Saturday afternoon. It might not lead to any further meetings either. Now, if that same person suggested that you and he, or a few others, take your equally interesting cars and meet at a track to test drive the cars, that would be more fun and likely lead to more events.

In other words, if you want to make new friends, focus on the people. I wouldn't just focus on the stuff you mutually admire.

To summarize, I would ask yourself what the objective is? If it is to find playing partners, then I would forgo the music room open house. You can always invite someone over individually. If it is to "show off" as you put it, you might want to consider what the end play is.

Either way, congrats on your new room. I hope you will get a lot of enjoyment out of it and your instruments!

Cheers,
Old 05-05-2014, 10:23 AM

Sounds like a fun get together but I would suggest limiting an event like this to folks you know.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
..............................In other words, if you want to make new friends, focus on the people and not just the stuff you mutually admire.

So, to summarize, I would ask yourself what the objective is? If it is to find playing partners, then I would forgo the music room open house. You can always invite someone over individually. If it is to "show off" as you put it, you might want to consider what the end play is.
Cheers,
Couldn't have put it better myself. Do this.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

I host some jams, song circles, guit-togethers, whatever a few times a year at my house, and also attend some at other people's homes. They are always about the music, and I have been able to expand my musical friendships that way.

The first time I did it I was apprehensive about the possibility of theft. But I met some great people off AGF and UMGF. Since then though, the strangers are usually people that folks that I know and trust request to bring as a guest.

Also, you get an idea of who really respects guitars, so that if you want to have an event to showcase your instruments, you can invite only people you know, and know enough about to expect that they will not ding up your guitars with careless activity.

CK
Old 05-05-2014, 10:51 AM

I think you are wise to consider the etiquette of the situation. That's always important when inviting guests.

Two thoughts:
1) What do you wish to share with your guests? If I were inviting some folks over to share music, I would take one or two of my guitars into the living room and have the party there. If wanted to share a collection, I would invite collectors who have a similar interest (Martins? Archtops? Luthier-made?) and bring them into my guitar room. I guess I would not assume that everyone who plays would be interested in my collection.

2) Maybe start small. Invite a few people whom you do know well and see how it goes. As they mention people they know who also like your type of music, or your favortie guitars, you can add one or two to the guest list next time.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post

Just my (negative) .02
I would agree here. Find a local music store or coffee shop that might be interested in hosting some open jams. You could offer to organize it. A local music store in our area hosts a weekly ukulele jam session on Saturday mornings. His store is pretty small so he hosts it at a little diner / restaurant next door to him. It's great exposure for both businesses.
We have recently opened up a concert room in our building. We have begun talking with a couple local musicians about opening a weekly jam circle in our space. Honestly, I don't have the time to organize it, so one of the locals has volunteered to do it.
This would be a great way to meet a bunch of local musicians and get to know them in a public setting. Once they become your friends, then have them over to your place for a 4th of July weekend BBQ and open JAM !!
Old 05-05-2014, 10:59 AM

Only my closest friends ever see my "inner sanctum", and even that is ONLY for the purpose of recording. I'm not into showing off (except on stage ... grin!). While I might trust many others not to rip me off, all it takes is one person to mention "I know a guy who has this, and this, and one of those, and a couple of these" to an acquaintance ... and my place becomes a target for thieves. Paranoid? No, just experienced.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion