The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2014, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Red face Cm help! Any alternatives?

Ok.....I thought I struggled with the B chord, but this one is just killing me

My wife loves Adele and so I was going to surprise her for Mother's Day by learning "Make You Feel My Love". It's played with the capo on the 3rd fret, and 90% of the chords are fairly easy to play. However, like most things, it's the last 10% that's a killer.

For the past 2 weeks, I've tried and failed to play this chord. Further, I am not even sure it sounds right even when I place my fingers one at a time to try and strum it out. The chord sequence for the verse is as follows:

G to D
F to C
Cm to G
A7 to D7 to G

Are there any alternate chords that might sound close to Cm?

Thanks
Old 05-05-2014, 07:54 AM

This might help: http://www.scales-chords.com/showchord.php?ch=Cm

If you're using a capo on the 3rd fret, it seems like the chord voicing listed at the top of the link would be pretty easy, as some of those note are "open" due to the capo position.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffK View Post

If you're using a capo on the 3rd fret, it seems like the chord voicing listed at the top of the link would be pretty easy, as some of those note are "open" due to the capo position.
I'm sure it's not really a cm, I thought he was talking about chords relative to the capo.

I've always wished that I could play an open cm but I'm not aware of any way that it can be done. You could go down to the 8th fret and play a barre chord with the root on the low e, I find that harder and it would mean you would have to shift down the fret board quite a bit, but who knows you may find it easier

Maybe the third chord form in the link Jeff posted would be easier? I wasn't aware of that one and it seems to be an open cm. I'm gonna try that one when I get a chance
Old 05-05-2014, 07:58 AM

If the Cm barre chord is too difficult, you could try moving the capo to the first fret and playing it this way:

A to E
G to D
Dm to A
B7 to E7 to A

The song will still be in the same key (Bb), but this would allow you to avoid barre chords.

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com

Last edited by Jim Tozier; 05-05-2014 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:05 AM

Has the guitar been set up? It seems that a good chunk of problems with barre chords are due to the action being too high.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:12 AM

You can try the following:

http://www.jamplay.com/tools/guitar-...d/3-c/92-minor
Old 05-05-2014, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

I didn't have a chance to look over the tabs for that song so not sure if you are playing a Cm with the capo or a Cm shape relative to the capo (which would actually be an D#m/Ebm.

If the Cm barre chord is giving you trouble, make a point to practice Am with your last three fingers (instead of your first three). Play those as a semi-power chord, sliding Am up to Bm up to Cm, without the first finger barre.

Make sure, as you practice that you do it without curling your index finger. Point at the ceiling with your index finger, while doing that

Once you get that down, then pressing all the strings with your first finger might be easier.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-05-2014, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman52 View Post
I'm sure it's not really a cm, I thought he was talking about chords relative to the capo.
You are correct in that it is not really a Cm, given the capo. I did not know the translated name. Can't wait to get home to try the 8th fret barre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tozier View Post
If the Cm barre chord is too difficult, you could try moving the capo to the first fret and playing it this way:
Thanks for the translation. I will try it tonight...it might make singing a little easier, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Has the guitar been set up? It seems that a good chunk of problems with barre chords are due to the action being too high.
Yep...properly set

Quote:
Originally Posted by terahertz View Post
Another good link...thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
If the Cm barre chord is giving you trouble, make a point to practice Am with your last three fingers (instead of your first three). Play those as a semi-power chord, sliding Am up to Bm up to Cm, without the first finger barre.

Make sure, as you practice that you do it without curling your index finger. Point at the ceiling with your index finger, while doing that

Once you get that down, then pressing all the strings with your first finger might be easier.
Great advice on the fingering change. I get locked in to what I was taught and sometimes don't realize that you can switch 'em up.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffK View Post

Great link! I should be able to use the top one, even though it's down to the 8th fret
Old 05-05-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP5 View Post
Ok.....I thought I struggled with the B chord, but this one is just killing me

My wife loves Adele and so I was going to surprise her for Mother's Day by learning "Make You Feel My Love". It's played with the capo on the 3rd fret, and 90% of the chords are fairly easy to play. However, like most things, it's the last 10% that's a killer.

For the past 2 weeks, I've tried and failed to play this chord. Further, I am not even sure it sounds right even when I place my fingers one at a time to try and strum it out. The chord sequence for the verse is as follows:

G to D
F to C
Cm to G
A7 to D7 to G

Are there any alternate chords that might sound close to Cm?

Thanks
I'd use the xx5543 Cm and the x55433 G (F shape), a really easy move.
Treating the capo as the nut.
MJRB
Old 05-05-2014, 08:56 AM

What about playing it as an inversion? Not really sure how to show this:

e 3
B 1
G 0
D 1
A X
E X

OR

e 3
B 4
G 5
D 5 (or mute it if you don't care about the bass note)
A X
E X (or hook the thumb over the top to play the G at the 3rd fret)

Just an idea. In the first example, you can anchor your pinkie on the 1st string G and use that to help you switch between the Cm and the G. In the second, you can make the change easier by playing the G as

e 3
B 3
G 4
D 5
A X
E X (or hook the thumb as with the Cm)

Hope that's helpful.
One day you pick up the guitar & you feel like a great master, & the next day you feel like a fool. It’s because we’re different every day, but the guitar is always the same…beautiful. -Tommy Emmanuel
Old 05-05-2014, 09:02 AM

I play it like the diagram on the second row at the end - as a open chord triad using the the C, Eb & G. About as easy as it gets and sounds full enough to work.

You may wanna give that one a try too.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-05-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tozier View Post

A to E
G to D
Dm to A
B7 to E7 to A

The song will still be in the same key (Bb), but this would allow you to avoid barre chords.
I do it this way too except with the capo on the 3rd fret:
A E G D Dm A B7 A
Old 05-05-2014, 09:20 AM

The nice thing about this chord sequence is the implied decending line. You can bring this out using these shapes and the Cm chord is quite simple.
Code:
3 X 0 0 0 3	G

X X 0 2 3 2	D

X X 3 2 1 1	F

X 3 2 0 1 0	C

X 3 5 0 4 X	Cm

X 2 0 0 3 X	G

X 0 2 0 2 X	A7

X 0 0 2 1 X	D7
Old 05-05-2014, 09:26 AM

Can you play an F#m using the Em barre shape? If so, use the Em barre to play the C#m up the fretboard and then go to E barre shape to get to the G after it.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion