The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-04-2014, 10:49 PM

Default Looks like Ed Sheeran traded up

Really liking this new song... Looks like Ed has traded up from a Little Martin to a proper Martin Parlor. Don't this is going to surprise anyone. If Taylor can build an affordable layered guitar (using the word layered for laminates where the center is actually wood, Taylor uses poplar between the veneers for their laminated b&s, so at least it is all wood... As revealed in pics of broken guitars as of 2012 Epiphone was using a foam like substance between the veneers which of course is not the same thing at all. With HPL Martin is just not even trying it seems).

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

Last edited by Rmz76; 05-04-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:55 PM

The acoustics in that place were amazing. Wonder what guitar that is?

Last edited by ahorsewithnonam; 05-04-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:00 PM

I kind of liked that he played a POS guitar. Gave him a very unique sound. A friend of mine has an Ed Sheeran signature edition little Martin. Cool little guitar.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:33 AM
Charter Member

Default here's a thread with more info on the guitar

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=337533

d
Old 05-05-2014, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Runner View Post
I kind of liked that he played a POS guitar. Gave him a very unique sound. A friend of mine has an Ed Sheeran signature edition little Martin. Cool little guitar.
Maybe Elliot Smith had set the bar so high, by long playing a Yamaha beater even after becoming famous, that Ed may have decided to pursue no longer playing a guitar that was punching below his own weight as a singer-songwriter.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:41 AM

Default Looks like Ed Sheeran traded up

About time. Hard to take any artist with gimmicks seriously IMO.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:45 AM

Cool Looks Like Ed Sheeran Traded Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Runner View Post
I kind of liked that he played a POS guitar.
WOW!!! I don't think I've ever heard a Martin guitar described like that, especially from someone that doesn't own one. Probably an error, or a typo, as HPL would be more accurate. I own a Martin HPL guitar and they are a quality build and sound fabulous, with the right strings.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 05-05-2014, 06:58 AM

"Maybe Elliot Smith had set the bar so high, by long playing a Yamaha beater even after becoming famous, that Ed may have decided to pursue no longer playing a guitar that was punching below his own weight as a singer-songwriter."

That's quite possible. BTW, I really liked the tone of Smith's beat-up Yamaha. Sheeran's guitar's tone is just OK to my ear.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Neat video - I really liked the way they jumped back and forth to the 'distant' sound.

Sometimes I think people are too concerned with an artists guitar tone and what they play. If I love the music, I couldn't care less what they are playing!
Old 05-05-2014, 07:39 AM

Default Ed Sheeran

I've played a few Ed Sheeran models and am not at all surprised that he moved on to another guitar. My question is why didn't he do it sooner?

While I think the acronym 44runner used fits the guitar, I don't share his opinion that it's "cool". Not that long ago I would have been surprised that Martin let something that sounded that bad out the door. Unfortunately I'm not surprised anymore.

As usual, just my opinion.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Bernie View Post
I've played a few Ed Sheeran models and am not at all surprised that he moved on to another guitar. My question is why didn't he do it sooner?

While I think the acronym 44runner used fits the guitar, I don't share his opinion that it's "cool". Not that long ago I would have been surprised that Martin let something that sounded that bad out the door. Unfortunately I'm not surprised anymore.

As usual, just my opinion.
I see that you own a few Taylors, I can't see why you wouldn't like the Ed Sheeran models. ...Mike
Old 05-05-2014, 08:02 AM

Default Sorry......?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-28 View Post
I see that you own a few Taylors, I can't see why you wouldn't like the Ed Sheeran models. ...Mike
Hi Mike.

I'm not sure I understand your post....?

I have the same opinion of the Baby and Mini's, BTW. I've played a bunch and don't see the attraction, but, to each his own.

If you'll look you'll see that the Taylor's in my signature are older ones which sound very different from the current crop of Taylor's.

And, yes, I've owned Martins, but you'll see they are no longer in my sig. Again, to each his own.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:17 AM

Bernie, I wasn't serious. See, I put a in there. ....Mike
Old 05-05-2014, 08:20 AM

Mike and Bernie ! Glad you've revived the double act, best of luck.

(I realise this terrific gag will be totally lost on anyone outside the UK, or anyone under 50 inside it).

Old 05-05-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
...snip... As revealed in pics of broken guitars as of 2012 Epiphone was using a foam like substance between the veneers which of course is not the same thing at all.
I recently purchased a shop-worn Epiphone AJ-220 at GC. What made it shop worn? A patch of the finish and outer veneer was scraped off the back about the size of a dime near the binding on the lower bout.

Underneath is a very light colored, almost white, WOOD. I don't know what it is but it seems to be a hard wood and is certainly not foam.

I don't care if people don't like Epiphone guitars or not, and although I like mine it is definitely in a "shabby chic" sort of way. But foam as the interior layer is just not accurate from what I can see.

Also, the only Ed Sheeran song I've heard is the one at the end of the last Hobbit movie. I liked the song but don't care what he played it on.

Ibanez AC240
Yamaha AC1R
Epiphone AJ220S

"It's folk music so.... you can kind of do what you want." - David Hamburger, Blues Genealogy.

Last edited by mdutr0; 05-05-2014 at 08:49 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion