The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-04-2014, 10:35 AM

Default scams and AGF classifieds

Hi All

I have a guitar up for sale in the classifieds and could use some advise on spotting scammers on our classified section.
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:37 AM

Do you have specific details...or are you asking a general open-ended question?

You should treat the classifieds as you would any other sales channel...eBay, Craigslist, etc. it's helpful if the person buying is an established member with a good track record.

But don't assume because it's through AGF that the person has been vetted.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:37 AM

Look for people who have posted here for awhile.

But other than that, it's pretty much impossible to pull off a scam if you use paypal, unless your thinking of trading across the country. Most of the guys who actually post here are trustworthy people though
Old 05-04-2014, 11:33 AM

Default Scammers and the like

Yes, look at how long someone has been here on AGF. It's no guarantee, but a first time poster who says he's in the miltary, on deployment and wants to send FedEx with a check to pick up your guitar, and, oh yeah, they'll pay you a little extra for your trouble........ Definite scam.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:58 PM

If someone really wants a piece of equipment they'll usually put their phone number and name in the reply. When a text is sent in three separate texts, you immediately should suspect scammer. Same thing when the scammer wants you to use their email address right off the top. I rarely, if never, not speak on the phone with a buyer or seller unless it is on eBay. It is too simple to call or have someone call you to work out the details over the phone and I trust my gut instinct a little better after hearing someone speak.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:00 AM

Thanks for the replies.
My concern was offers from people with very little history on the forum.
The latest offer is the first post this 'member' has ever made.
I plan to ignore such offers in the future.
Seller Beware!
Old 05-06-2014, 07:02 AM

In this case I would ask for his phone and call him to "work out the details." You will get an idea if he's legit then do Paypal.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 05-06-2014, 07:34 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand00028 View Post
You gotta start somewhere. I wouldn't dismiss someone based solely on it being their "first post." Like has been suggested, further communicate, preferably by phone, to get the whole story.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

I think if it was their first post I would be somewhat suspicious myself. I generally like to check people out first. I'll do a search for their posts and make sure they are using the forum and seem to be above board. If not, I probably won't deal. It's unfortunate that we live in a society with so many scammers but it's part of life these days.

And, in case anyone is checking me out... I'm not a scammer!

Todd
Old 05-06-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Hi All

I have a guitar up for sale in the classifieds and could use some advise on spotting scammers on our classified section.
Thanks in advance.
As a seller you can protect yourself by accepting certified funds only, and shipping only after the funds have cleared. This will limit you customer base of course but as they say there is no free lunch.

BTW, post count on a forum is no guarantee of integrity. About a decade ago I purchased a guitar from a well respected forum member who posted a thousand posts per year and what I got was a guitar with the bridge half way off the top. When asked about the issue I was told it should cost me no more than $50 to fix this problem. IN reality our local Martin tech wanted $200 so I sent the guitar back. The seller refunded me my money minus his out going shipping fee. That was the last time I ever paid for a guitar by money order.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.
My concern was offers from people with very little history on the forum.
I plan to ignore such offers in the future.
Seller Beware!
I wouldn't dismiss a new user or first poster right away. Some of the smoothest transactions I had here were from such users. I would just be extra careful in this case. I'd definitely ask to talk over the phone, get references etc. If he has an eBay account, check his feedback. Also what I do is ask him to send me a message to my eBay account to verify his identity.

Trust your gut feel!
Old 05-06-2014, 08:33 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
As a seller you can protect yourself by accepting certified funds only, and shipping only after the funds have cleared. This will limit you customer base of course but as they say there is no free lunch.

BTW, post count on a forum is no guarantee of integrity. About a decade ago I purchased a guitar from a well respected forum member who posted a thousand posts per year and what I got was a guitar with the bridge half way off the top. When asked about the issue I was told it should cost me no more than $50 to fix this problem. IN reality our local Martin tech wanted $200 so I sent the guitar back. The seller refunded me my money minus his out going shipping fee. That was the last time I ever paid for a guitar by money order.
Can't believe he had the gall to charge you shipping!
Old 05-06-2014, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

I believe it - I had a trade with a "well regarded" forum member that involved a guitar that was not as described, and specs were off, but they wouldn't return my guitar. At this point, I figure you're taking your chances and just have to trust your gut -
Old 05-06-2014, 09:55 AM

Although some members aren't as established, here, they may be established on other guitar forums and/or eBay. Ask for some references. A lot of sellers here already list references. A lot of sellers also put in their general geographic location.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:12 AM

My first couple posts on here were both purchases and the transactions were very smooth. I'm also not one to talk on the phone a lot so there were no phone calls or anything else. My advise to protect yourself is to use paypal and take good pics of your guitar to show condition and how it is packed prior to shipping it. If you do that then there isn't too many ways you can be defrauded. I would also be wary of shipping through the post office. I had a custom made Ukulele shipped through them that literally arrived looking like it had been run over by a car. The entire box was smashed and the hard case was smashed. Needless to say the ukulele was destroyed. Even though the shipper fully insured the instrument about 3K the post office refused to ever pay a penny. The problem is that your local post office has to submit paperwork to a central office on your behalf and if they don't do it in a timely manner the central office dismisses your claim and there is nothing you can do about it. I would only ship via FedEx and UPS and make sure that your item is fully insured. Legally you are responsible for the instrument to arrive as described. The insurance policy is also yours and not the recipient. It is your problem if it gets damaged not theirs, so don't give them the option of cheapo insurance on the package.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion