The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-28-2012, 03:52 PM

Default Hello All - New/Old Member

The last time I was able to play much guitar was ages ago. I'm freed up a bit and have been re-learning how to play. I wasn't a very good player to begin with as I would always play for three months, put the guitar down for a year, pick it up, wash rinse repeat.

At some point I made an account here but I don't see any posts I made. The last time I logged in, according the stats things was "You last visited: 05-28-2005 at 09:16 PM". Wowsers.

A few weeks ago I found an instructor that I feel fits and he is helping me learn to be a better guitar player, not just play a few songs.

About me: I'm a 44 year old father of two, husband, etc. I'm a Systems Architect by trade and a hitting instructor on the side. I'm currently finishing the degree I started back in 1990 and will be done with that next year.

With the above in mind I'm taking the approach that learning to be a better guitar player will be a slow process due to the lack of time. However what I am doing is being consistent. If that means just 15 minutes in the evening then I'll do that rather than just say "Ah crap, I don't have time to do a proper session". I find that I don't get frustrated that way.

I hope to be able to talk with others as a n00b would and learn as I go. Eventually I'd like to help others if I can get there.

So.... hello.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Hi WM,

Welcome back to the AGF! Good for you for going after the guitar in a more methodical way. And 15 minutes a night is good!

- Glenn
Old 11-28-2012, 04:56 PM

WonderMonkey ... This is your 2nd post. I'd Welcome you to the forum but you joined back in 2005, before I was here.

15 minutes a night will do wonders over a few months. Keep it up ... it's never too late to learn! Good luck and make sure your next post isn't in 7 years.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:32 PM

I'll 2nd that...15 minutes is good! Welcome back.

I played off and on for years myself, so I've been there with that. I've learned and grown more as a musician over the last few years than I did in all the previous years.

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 11-28-2012, 07:55 PM

Welcome back. I'm learning all kinds of great stuff from these cats here when it comes to acoustics. I have been an electric player for ever and bass, so I'm a noob when it comes to acoustics... well good and GREAT acoustics!

I personally starting to love this place more and more. I was like you singed up and kinda forgot about this place for just over a year. Time to make up for lost time.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:07 PM

Sounds familiar! I played off-and-on for 30 years, with a Yamaha that I now know needed a set up. I never progressed beyond open chords. I retired a couple years ago, and my wife bought me a Taylor GC8. My skill has taken off, and I probably play an average of 1 to 2 hours per day.

I hope you have a 'playable" guitar!

Bill
Santa Cruz F Model
Old 11-28-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi WM,

Welcome back to the AGF! Good for you for going after the guitar in a more methodical way. And 15 minutes a night is good!

- Glenn
Thanks! 15 minutes seems to be working for me now. In addition to learning differently I have a practice plan, which suits me just fine. I like having that and not just aimlessly wondering through playing wondering if I am wasting time.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
WonderMonkey ... This is your 2nd post. I'd Welcome you to the forum but you joined back in 2005, before I was here.

15 minutes a night will do wonders over a few months. Keep it up ... it's never too late to learn! Good luck and make sure your next post isn't in 7 years.
I figure 2 posts every 7 years ensures I don't wear out my welcome. Whoops, I'm over, got to go away for 14 now!
Old 11-28-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats45 View Post
I'll 2nd that...15 minutes is good! Welcome back.

I played off and on for years myself, so I've been there with that. I've learned and grown more as a musician over the last few years than I did in all the previous years.
I'm hoping the same happens for me. The only thing that could slow me down is getting into a class ( to finish my degree ) that takes up my spare time. Even then I hope that I at least don't regress.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkeyfish View Post
Welcome back. I'm learning all kinds of great stuff from these cats here when it comes to acoustics. I have been an electric player for ever and bass, so I'm a noob when it comes to acoustics... well good and GREAT acoustics!

I personally starting to love this place more and more. I was like you singed up and kinda forgot about this place for just over a year. Time to make up for lost time.
How have you found the transition to acoustic to be? The reason I got an acoustic years ago over an electric is that once someone told me that I would be a better guitar player if I started on acoustic and then got an electric later rather than the other way around. I'm not sure if I believe that because I have yet to get competent and play an electric.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubster View Post
Sounds familiar! I played off-and-on for 30 years, with a Yamaha that I now know needed a set up. I never progressed beyond open chords. I retired a couple years ago, and my wife bought me a Taylor GC8. My skill has taken off, and I probably play an average of 1 to 2 hours per day.

I hope you have a 'playable" guitar!

Bill
Wow, 1 to 2 hours a day! Do you ever get burned out?

I have an "ok" guitar, it certainly doesn't hold me back. When I finish my degree next year I'm going to get a nicer guitar though this one will always be my favorite.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:02 PM

No burn out yet, due to adding new songs, and a new Santa Cruz. I'm lucky to have a retirement job that allows me plenty of time to work on new songs and improve on the old ones.
Santa Cruz F Model
Old 05-06-2014, 09:25 AM

Hello again! My previous "Hey I have time to play now!" failed miserably! My how life takes charge!

However again my obstacles have cleared and I'm playing again. I have the additional challenge that I'm going to lose the use of my pinky and ring finger on my fret hand in the upcoming years so I'm exploring different ways to play. Open tuning, slide, etc.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Congrats and welcome back again!
Old 05-06-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
Congrats and welcome back again!
Thanks! Probably again!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion