The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-06-2010, 08:38 AM

Default Started playing at age 40 or older & still playing 10 years later?

Anyone? Please share your story, why you started and how your learning has progressed.

My thread asking the same question with the age of 50 or older has so far received no replies. Thought I would lower it by a decade.

Interestingly, the thread asking When did you start playing . . . is on its fourth page and almost everyone (there are three or four exceptions) started in their youth. I started in my early 50's, a little over three years ago, though I had learned a few open chords when I was in college and didn't do anything with a guitar for over 30 years.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 10-06-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
Anyone? Please share your story, why you started and how your learning has progressed.

My thread asking the same question with the age of 50 or older has so far received no replies. Thought I would lower it by a decade.

Interestingly, the thread asking When did you start playing . . . is on its fourth page and almost everyone (there are three or four exceptions) started in their youth. I started in my early 50's, a little over three years ago, though I had learned a few open chords when I was in college and didn't do anything with a guitar for over 30 years.

Thanks,
Bill
This probably doesn't count because I played for a few years in my 20's, you know, learned the main chords and such, along with a few strum patterns. Then from the mid 20's on nothing. Recently I have decided to pick it up again. I fall well into the age catagory of your post I keep trying to envision myself 10 years from now still playing.

This time around I am trying to learn scales and fingerpickig. I am also learning to play up the fret board and read tab. I hope to hear some encouraging stories from other "mature" players.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:16 AM

Default Started at 40

My first guitar was a gift for my 40th birthday (3 years ago). It was an Art & Lutherie Cedar Dread that was a great 1st instrument. Since then I have become completely hooked on learning to play and everything else about acoustic guitars.

I played piano in my youth and 20's but always wanted to learn guitar. I got an acoustic with the thought it would be fun to goof around on and learn a couple campfire sing-a-long type songs. 3 years and about 15 guitars later I am still exited about playing and I look forward to the time each night when I am able to sit down and play.

It is an interesting process owning and trying out different guitars and discovering and developing personal preferences and playing styles. I suppose this will be an ever evolving process. For the moment I enjoy smaller body guitars and lean toward fingerstyle playing. I have also recent become interested in parlor guitars and open tunings. Anyway, it is a fun process and I hope to hear from others who started later in life.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:18 AM

I got my first guitar in my late 30's - (a bad plywood fender acoustic - I thought it was great cos it was a Fender) - but couldn't do a thing with it.
My GF was friends with someone whose hubby "played a bit" so she bought me some lessons from him for a valentines present - ahhhh
That was about 3 years ago and I still have lessons with Steve at ever increasing irregularity unfortunately.
I'm 44 now, and to be honest I'm still not very good, with even the basic strumming pattern sending my into dithers of complications.
We had a try at finger picking and I wasn't good at that either
I really wish I had started when I was 6, 7, 8, etc. - I'll certainly be the pushy parent on my boys.
Thing is though - even though I'm crap, I still really enjoy it.
I appreciate good guitars and good tone and trying to play has helped me appreciate recorded music more, which has always been a big part of my life.
So thats it really - I'm Marcus, I play the acoustic guitar badly, but I'm enjoying it!
Old 10-06-2010, 09:55 AM

I started at 45 in January '09. This is my fourth instrument, so I'm working from a solid foundation, and I practice as much as I can.

At this point in my progression, I'm very solid on open chords and getting stronger on barre chords. I tackled fingerstyle early on with Dust in the Wind, and have a small handful of pieces I can play ok, but I'm working on building that repertoire. The challenge here seems to be perfecting them.

As for guitars, I learned after about a year that a dreadnought is just plain too big for me - had a lot of shoulder problems. I recently shifted to a Taylor GC8 and have been very happy, although I also learned the miraculous wonders of icing to keep the inflammation down (I ice every night after practicing and sleep a lot better for it). I'm working with a good teacher now to build more relaxation into my playing technique - this is also helping.

I certainly hope to make great strides over the next 5 years as I approach 50. When I'm frustrated, I think about how impossible it was to transition from a C chord to a G chord (pinky and all) and how effortless it is now. I also play one of my few simple fingerstyle pieces and think "how cool is that?". Can I impress many guitar players? Probably not. Can I impress my family and friends? More or less. My wife even seems to think I sing pretty good (I'm not yet convinced).

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 10-06-2010, 10:02 AM

I think you might get more response if you titled it started back up after 50 or what ever number that trips your trigger. Lots of us, me included took a 10, 15, or 20 year hiatus before picking it back up again. There is also the group who switched from electric to acoustic after a long time too.

Hope that helps a little.
Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065
Old 10-06-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:

Thanks,
Bill
I started about 10 months ago and I turned 40 in August. My son got a cheap Fender acoustic for Christmas last year, and even though it was not the best of quality, I still could not put it down.

About 3 months later I bought a Seagull S6 and about a month ago I bought a Recording King RD-227. I like the Seagull alot, but as I became more addicted, I got a better understanding of the tone I was looking for. That tone is Martin HD-28v or a good D-35, but I don't have a Martin size bank account... not yet at least. I guess I wanted to be sure I was going to stick with it before I dropped real big $$.

FWIW, I love the RK. It sounds really, really good and it gets better everyday.

As for the playing -- I feel like a fish that found water. Wish I would have started 25 years ago. I have a mid-shift job which allows me to play for an hour or two every morning after the kids go off to school. I am not slowing down at all.

I don't take any formal lessons... usually I pick a song I like a lot and Youtube "how to play ...." and learn the song. Through osmosis I have picked up a lot of chords and tips and techniques.

I've told my wife that I want to be a "world class" guitarist in 5 years -- ha, ha. She laughs and rolls her eyes, but she is taking it OK.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:10 PM

I did play a bit when I was quite young, high school age. I quit in 1973 and didn't play again until I bought myself an acoustic for my 50th birthday. That was in 2003.

So here I sit with under 8 years playing and still going strong, at least I hope so. I have learned so much in this time it's sometimes hard to comprehend all of it. And I don't always. Progress is slower at "our" age. But it does come. If you first realize that you are not gonna be the next guitar sensation you will do just fine. Try to listen to lots of music, all kinds of music and let that sink in. If you play fingerstyle, learn to use a flat pick or just listen to great pickers. Or do the opposite. I play with a pick but listen to and love fingerstyle players. Many of my original instrumentals actually sound more like fingerstyle than flatpicking/crosspicking.

I have also picked up the mandolin, though it's a bit farther back in the learning curve than the guitar is. But I have a blast with it and have played quite a few places with it. Even got asked to play the Fla Folk Festival with friends this year.

So, where do I see myself in another 2+ years? Probably sittin right here with a geetar or mando on the stand. And trying to learn something new and get better if I can.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:27 PM

my story is similar to indigocowgirl-
I was 24 when I learned to play my 1st song -
a 2 chord folk song - ' Ship to My Lou '

It was a struggle to learn the basic open chords
and I never got past a simple P-I-M-A folk / finger picking.

Not much changed during then next 30 years and much of that time
I did not play at all.

Then a couple of years ago I got back into it -
with the internet and good training videos for sale I've been making progress.
I've learned to play Travis style and to play solo instrumental chord / melody style.

I'm currently learning scales and chord voicings, chord substitutions so I can do my own arrangements.
It's slow but I'm making progress and at my age that is encouraging

- Larry

Larrivee 000-60 12 fret slot head
Pavan TP-30 640 classical
Eastman AR805 CE archtop
Old 10-06-2010, 12:36 PM

I started playing 6 months ago at age 46. I will post back to this thread in 9.5 years. Hopefully I will still be playing then!

20 years ago I bought two guitars, a Fender MIJ Stratocaster and a Blueridge BR-60. I have little-to-no natural talent, and decided that I could never learn guitar. I could form the chords but couldn't strum. I sold the Strat but kept the Blueridge in storage.

Fast forward 20 years and I decided to give it another go. I bought another Strat and a Seagull parlor as a comfy couch guitar. I decided I liked the acoustic better because it's a live instrument in my hands and I can only get that same liveness with the electric if I crank my amp way up.

After 6 months of practice and playing that totals 20 minutes a day, I'm just beginning to get the hang of strumming, rhythm and smooth chord changes. But I find every tiny improvement immensely rewarding, and I enjoy the playing part. I wish I had understood that I could develop the skills I need through practice; I could have really enjoyed playing this past 20 years.

One day I hope I'm good enough to warrant the purchase of a fine instrument, but in the meantime my two acoustics are more than nice enough for me.

1967 Gibson J-45 ADJ
2010 Seagull Coastline Grand parlor
Strat
Old 10-06-2010, 12:40 PM

Thanks all for the great stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricks View Post
I did play a bit when I was quite young, high school age. I quit in 1973 and didn't play again until I bought myself an acoustic for my 50th birthday. That was in 2003.

So here I sit with under 8 years playing and still going strong, at least I hope so. I have learned so much in this time it's sometimes hard to comprehend all of it. And I don't always. Progress is slower at "our" age. But it does come. If you first realize that you are not gonna be the next guitar sensation you will do just fine. Try to listen to lots of music, all kinds of music and let that sink in. If you play fingerstyle, learn to use a flat pick or just listen to great pickers. Or do the opposite. I play with a pick but listen to and love fingerstyle players. Many of my original instrumentals actually sound more like fingerstyle than flatpicking/crosspicking.

I have also picked up the mandolin, though it's a bit farther back in the learning curve than the guitar is. But I have a blast with it and have played quite a few places with it. Even got asked to play the Fla Folk Festival with friends this year.

So, where do I see myself in another 2+ years? Probably sittin right here with a geetar or mando on the stand. And trying to learn something new and get better if I can.

Rick, you come close to my original question with getting back into it at 50. Eight years takes the cake so far for longevity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lw216316 View Post
my story is similar to indigocowgirl-
I was 24 when I learned to play my 1st song -
a 2 chord folk song - ' Ship to My Lou '

It was a struggle to learn the basic open chords
and I never got past a simple P-I-M-A folk / finger picking.

Not much changed during then next 30 years and much of that time
I did not play at all.

Then a couple of years ago I got back into it -
with the internet and good training videos for sale I've been making progress.
I've learned to play Travis style and to play solo instrumental chord / melody style.

I'm currently learning scales and chord voicings, chord substitutions so I can do my own arrangements.
It's slow but I'm making progress and at my age that is encouraging

- Larry
Larry, are you using any instruction books/videos for chord voicings and substitutions?

Bill
Old 10-06-2010, 12:58 PM

I'm in my 4th year and 62nd year as a playa. I played trumpet in highschool which has helped me in that I can read music. Progression hs been solid and am now attempting to learn more music theroly and get the entire fingerboard under control. I mostly fingerpick, but enjoy using a pick as well. The guitar is a wonderful instrument, I have always wanted to play, but never had the oppertunity till now.
I own two very nice guitars; a dread and OM and the OM gets played more than the dred.
I am constantly looking for music and have lately been working with early blues songs like, Deep River Blues and some of the Doc Watson music.
There is so much to learn, I thought I would be happy with just simple tunes, but it seems the more I learn, the more I want to know.
The internet is indespensable as a learning and sharing tool and many people have shared their knoweledge and help with me. Forums such as this one and you people who are so helpful have made my experience a great pleasure.
Thanks and best wishes.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:06 PM

I took nearly a 20 year hiatus and just started up again within the past month. I fall within the 40 something crowd. Anyway, it was a very weird experience for me, like riding a bike. I started playing as if I hadn't missed a beat. With YouTube and all the online resources available now, it's a paradise compared to 20 years ago.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks all for the great stories.

Larry, are you using any instruction books/videos for chord voicings and substitutions? Bill
Yes, Conti and Morgen videos -
they are jazz oriented (and I have no jazz aspiration)
but
they have the theory / techniques that are helpful...

and I'm finding sustitutions in various books also.
and some internet freebies

- Larry

Larrivee 000-60 12 fret slot head
Pavan TP-30 640 classical
Eastman AR805 CE archtop
Old 10-06-2010, 01:18 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
I think you might get more response if you titled it started back up after 50 or what ever number that trips your trigger. Lots of us, me included took a 10, 15, or 20 year hiatus before picking it back up again. There is also the group who switched from electric to acoustic after a long time too.

Hope that helps a little.
This is me as well, after playing in a couple of groups for a while I gave it up for about 30 years. Just recently I have started up again, taking classical lessons and learning to read music. I love it and sure wish I had kept up playing all that time. The brain is a bit slower now!

Rosco
Martin GPCPA2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion