The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-06-2014, 11:03 AM

I don't take the risk with people on internet forums. I've bought (used) and sold quite a few guitars, but since eBay went down the tubes, I've used GC Used Online (for buying) and Elderly (for buying and selling/trading). I may lose some money that way, but there's no stress and little possibility that the deal will take a nasty turn.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:09 AM

I've sold 2 guitars on this forum to first time posters. I did ask them about it and in both cases they were googling for a specific guitar and that is what prompted them to register. (A K20 Taylor and a Fender 52 Re-issue Coppercaster) This also happened with a Guild JF 30-12 on the Larrivee Forum. All transactions went smooth with no issues. I did decline one transaction from a first time poster I didn't feel comfortable with.

Ask questions and get guaranteed funds prior to shipping.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
Can't believe he had the gall to charge you shipping!
Imagine how I felt.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman52 View Post
Look for people who have posted here for awhile.

But other than that, it's pretty much impossible to pull off a scam if you use paypal, unless your thinking of trading across the country.
Hmmm... Can someone expand on the above?

I've heard many horror stories about how PayPal buyers have all the rights and can pull off a number of simple scams to get their payment back and keep the item. For example, a buyer can claim that the item never arrived, even when a sig I supposedly required. They simply claim that the driver left the item even though no one was home and that the item then was stolen. Other people confirm that requiring a sig and not getting it does happen. They come home from work and find a package on the doorstep that required a sig.

No one here has ever had a buyer pull a scam through PayPal? Seriously, I'd like to know.

Reid
Old 05-06-2014, 12:13 PM

Ive bought guitars on this forum several times -every transaction was different , but they all went well . I like Paypal -its secure and it works. i also like dealing with people i can meet for trades or deals -Ive done that twice -
I would never send a money order etc. -- sorry , its just to easy or tempting for someone to take the money and run -

I have my own criteria -i like to talk to the person first - and ask alot of questions - thats me ----
Old 05-06-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidplum View Post
Hmmm... Can someone expand on the above?

I've heard many horror stories about how PayPal buyers have all the rights and can pull off a number of simple scams to get their payment back and keep the item. For example, a buyer can claim that the item never arrived, even when a sig I supposedly required. They simply claim that the driver left the item even though no one was home and that the item then was stolen. Other people confirm that requiring a sig and not getting it does happen. They come home from work and find a package on the doorstep that required a sig.

No one here has ever had a buyer pull a scam through PayPal? Seriously, I'd like to know.

Reid
Not sure about all scams but the signature one will not work. I used to work at FedEx and unless a signature can be verified they will pay the insurance for a lost item. They guy may still get a free guitar but as the shipper you should get your money back. I think dealing with the post office is horrible like I stated in my last post. If you have proper documentation photos of the item and packaging then paypal will not always decide in favor of the buyer. They naturally will favor the buyer because in most cases they truly are the victim and the fact that they paid shows an initial good faith gesture, but if you are careful with documentation and shipping insurance you do have protection.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion