The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2014, 09:29 AM

Cool Cm help!

When I want to play a Cm chord, I just use the first 4 strings. An alternative would be to purchase a Conversion Chart for using alternate Keys.

If you check the chord progressions of different artists, you will find many play the song in a different key from Adele. Bob Dylan wrote the song in key of C, and Garth Brooks plays it in the key of D.

If you find it easier to play in a different key, just use your capo, so you can sing it in the key that best suits your vocal range.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”

Last edited by scottishrogue; 05-05-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP5
Thanks for the translation. I will try it tonight...it might make singing a little easier, too.
Note that the chords that I gave you with the capo on the 1st fret will still be the same pitch as the chords you were playing with the capo on the 3rd fret. In other words, a G chord with capo 3 is actually a Bb... and an A chord capo 1 is also Bb.

So what I gave you won't affect how easy it is to sing at all. The melody notes will still be identical.

I just wanted to give you an alternative that doesn't use barre chords.

However, you CAN move the capo up/down a fret or two using those same chords to see if it gets easier to sing. You just won't be in the original key of Bb anymore. That really only matters, though, if you're playing with other musicians. If it's just you, do it in whatever key works the best!

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com
Old 05-05-2014, 11:11 AM

In general, it's always a good idea to determine your singing range first, and then look at what chord progression that would be on the guitar. About half of the songs I sing and play I wouldn't be able to sing if I attempted them in the original key/capo position.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 05-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

WOW!! I cannot believe all the helpful responses. Man I wish I could leave work early.

Just want to thank everyone for the help. I am always amazed at how much knowledge there is here and the willingness of others to help. I hope this helps someone else down the road, too. Lots of great tips!!
Old 05-06-2014, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Default Success w/several variations!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tozier View Post
If the Cm barre chord is too difficult, you could try moving the capo to the first fret and playing it this way:

A to E
G to D
Dm to A
B7 to E7 to A
For some reason, even though it's the same key, I liked the sound more than using the capo in the 3rd and barre-ing the Cm. However, I am going to practice both as I need to continue working my barre chords!! Plus, moving back and forth 3 frets is also something I need to continue working on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfwund View Post
What about playing it as an inversion? Not really sure how to show this:

e 3
B 1
G 0
D 1
A X
E X
I like this one! It took a little while to get my fingering down between chord progressions, but this had a very cool 'sound' to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
The nice thing about this chord sequence is the implied decending line. You can bring this out using these shapes and the Cm chord is quite simple.
Code:
3 X 0 0 0 3	G

X X 0 2 3 2	D

X X 3 2 1 1	F

X 3 2 0 1 0	C

X 3 5 0 4 X	Cm

X 2 0 0 3 X	G

X 0 2 0 2 X	A7

X 0 0 2 1 X	D7
I am going to have to try this one tonight. It looks like another good alternative.

Again, thanks to everyone for giving me some options to work with. Should be a good day on Sunday

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion