The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2014, 06:00 PM
Guest 728

I've "pink-tagged" my Guild several times. No issues or problems. I leave it on the jetway when I board, and it's waiting for me as soon as I get off.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Default Bubble Wrap

I gate checked my guitar in the OHSC but wrapped the whole thing several times in small bubble wrap and taped it securely. No problems, check in clerk was impressed. South West didn't put it on the turn tables but took it to the baggage pickup office.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedict8or View Post
As long as the guitar NEVER enters the automated baggage handling/sorting system, you're good. Gate valet and carry-on only. That way only humans handle your instrument. I fly with guitars a lot and have never had a problem.
+1

I've never had a problem and have used the same approach.

Stuart
Old 05-05-2014, 07:14 PM

I have guitars with Calton cases and I have guitars with the factory case that they came in (my J-45 TV and Taylor Grand Concert Sinker guitar). If I find I cannot carry a guitar on the aircraft I always gate check it. One thing I do and it works just about every time is ask the gate attendent if you can board early in group 1 or A to get your instrument on. I have only had one turn me down. Most of them are pretty accomodating. Probably the most guitar friendly airlines is Southwest. When all else fails, gate check it.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:24 PM

Default GREAT feedback!!!

Excellent suggestions gang! Thank you so much!!!!

I'm going to try it. I'm going to check to see if I can carry on one of my guitars (it'll be the Larrivee OM, I think). If that plan fails, then I'll try to send one ahead to the resort and have it waiting for me. I know that five days doesn't seem like a long time, but I know that I'd have some pretty serious guitar withdrawal by then! And it would be more like six days when you count the fly-in the day before.

Many thanks for all the helpful ideas! You people ROCK!

Some originals:
http://www.reverbnation.com/braduebinger
Old 05-05-2014, 07:30 PM

Depends on the airline.

Last time I flew with a Guitar it was on Southwest from Phoenix to San Jose.
They hand carried my guitar to and from the aircraft at both ends.

On the other hand, I don't think I'd be willing to trust a guitar to the tender mercies of United.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-05-2014, 07:30 PM

Although I'm grateful that my job no longer involves air travel/overnights 40-50% of each month, the experience that changed me was sitting, waiting for a connecting Delta flight to take off and watching a baggage handler - in the course of loading luggage out of a motorized carrier into my plane - systematically hoist 3 different guitar cases to head height - so that the bottom of the case was parallel to the tarmac - and then dropping each one flat onto the ground. Clearly some sad, destructive tendency here. Molested as a child by a guitar teacher? No idea. But by my next trip I was a carrying on a travel guitar and never traveled with a standard case again. Just my experience.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:38 PM

My guitars do their traveling in a HISCOX Pro II case (about $300). No worries and lightweight.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azaro Ariņo View Post
I travel with a regular skb ABS case, but ONLY with guitars that are both replaceable and inexpensive.

I would never do this with a guitar I really care about.
Same here. Molded thermoplastic case, and fly it as a carry-on/personal item. Nothing more expensive than my Yamaha, though.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 05-06-2014, 05:04 AM
Charter Member

I don't fly anymore...at all. 2 flights that I truly thought were going to go right into the side of a mountain.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:18 AM

I have to fly with both of my guitars next week. Am I pushing my luck by asking to gate check both of them? How does security work?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion