The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-25-2024, 07:43 AM

Default Guitar after grandfather

Hi,

I have inherited a guitar after my grandfather and wonder if is has any value?
It looks unused.

Old 04-25-2024, 07:47 AM

It should have sentimental value.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 04-25-2024, 08:11 AM

It's not a valuable instrument monetarily, but it belonged to your grandfather, so in that sense, it's priceless.

Do you play? Great excuse to start.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-25-2024, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
It's not a valuable instrument monetarily, but it belonged to your grandfather, so in that sense, it's priceless.

Do you play? Great excuse to start.
Ok. Thank you. No, i dont play, so yes, a great excuse to start
Old 04-25-2024, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpoint View Post
The best day to start is today. Welcome to the club.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-25-2024, 10:08 AM

On Reverb, which is an eBay-like site for musical instruments, Eagle brand acoustics are listed from $230 to $499.

https://reverb.com/brand/eagle?produ...oustic-guitars

The one listed at $499 was made in Japan which generally is more desireable than a guitar (of the same brand) that is made in Korea, which is generally more desirable than a guitar made in China. In my opinion $499 is high for that guitar. If yours was made in Japan, $350-$400 might be reasonable. If it was made in Korea or China, the $200 range would be reasonable in my opinion. However, Eagle is not a well known brand so regardless of what it's "worth" demand may be low making it hard to sell.
As others have said, at that value it may be best to keep it for sentimental reasons.
Voyage Air VAOM-04
Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator
2016 Gibson ES-335
2015 Les Paul Tribute P90
2015 Fender Telecaster
Old 04-25-2024, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpoint View Post
I gave an old guitar like that to a friend of mine who didn't play bought thought maybe one day he would. Ten years later he still doesn't play but he likes looking at it sitting in the corner too. Yours is even more special then that. So play it if ya want or just remember your grand dad in it, either way it's all good.
Old 04-25-2024, 12:24 PM

Lucky you! I would love to have my Grandma’s old banjo which was sold over 60 years ago to pay the mortgage for a house they eventually lost. Maybe this is mostly an heirloom but enjoy it. But for sure start pickin!
Old 04-25-2024, 01:37 PM

Priceless. And to take up guitar now in honor of your grandfather would be a beautiful thing.

I inherited a 1936 Kalamazoo archtop from grandfather after he passed a few years ago. It's about as beaten up as a guitar can get, but it's structurally stable and plays really well. All original (except for the tuners, I think) including case. As a child, I always associated that old wood smell with him, so every time I take the guitar out of its case the sight and smell take me back. Priceless.
Old 04-25-2024, 06:03 PM

My first guitar was my grandmother's. It was an inexpensive 1970's student model guitar from Japan. And I still love it to this day.

She got it in retirement and then arthritis set in so she couldn't play. I started playing after a surgery in high school kept me from doing strenuous physical activity for awhile and I haven't stopped. Every time I play it, I am reminded of her.

I've since had MANY different guitars. But I learned all my basics on it, explored alternate tunings on it and wrote my first song on it way back when. If I'm really being honest with myself, every guitar I've gotten after has been me chasing something that this one already has, just more of it.

So to me, it's a priceless guitar that I will never sell and hang proudly in my house.

I hope you take the time to learn and enjoy it. It's definitely a worthwhile pursuit, if only to remember your loved ones by.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion