The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-29-2014, 02:52 PM

Default Goodall Guitars...

Hey all - just had the opportunity to play a few Goodalls, including a sublime Italian Spruce over Honduran Rosewood. To say I was impressed is an understatement. I eventually had to put it down and stop playing before the credit card came flying out of the wallet.... Just curious as to others on the forums' experience/thoughts/impressions on the Goodalls???

“Out of dialogue with others comes rhetoric. Out of dialogue with yourself comes poetry.”
Old 08-29-2014, 03:14 PM

I, for one, absolutely love them. Oh, those overtones...

They posses the kind of sound I look for in a guitar and, IMO, are amongst the finest off-the-rack guitars available today in terms of both workmanship and tonal qualities. They are remarkably consistent as well. All of the Goodalls I have played are/were wonderful.

I can't say they are a bargain, however.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

I've never owned one, but have played many. I think every one I've ever played was an outstanding guitar… kind of big, round, full sound. Like Scallywag said, lots of overtones. I imagine they have lots of fans here. I haven't had one move me enough to purchase it, but they're very nice guitars.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:17 PM

Id say the Aloha model is a bargain of all bargains -
Mine is a Standard model - A cross between a Jumbo and a Dead
Old 08-29-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallywag View Post
I can't say they are a bargain, however.
They were bargains when they were still built in Hawaii. I believe Goodall took a gamble in deciding his guitars were worth more and priced accordingly and now that supply is limited demand has shot up.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Goodall makes insanely good guitars. They're not everyone's cup of tea but the overall quality is hard to deny. I find it remarkable that they are able to produce all of those overtones while retaining excellent clarity and note separation. I used to consider lushness as incompatible with clarity. Goodall proved otherwise.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
Goodall makes insanely good guitars. They're not everyone's cup of tea but the overall quality is hard to deny. I find it remarkable that they are able to produce all of those overtones while retaining excellent clarity and note separation. I used to consider lushness as incompatible with clarity. Goodall proved otherwise.
Find one made in Hawaii. Consistently killer guitars. I've owned a number of them and never played one that just average.
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

Life's been good to me so far....
Old 08-29-2014, 06:25 PM

I picked up a used lefty Aloha GC in Sitka/Koa from Vic's lefty guitars made in Hawaii. I paid close to what the guitar costs new. I love it. Loud, powerful, warm, musical. I play solo fingerstyle stuff and its my favorite guitar and I have had a few nice ones by other boutique builders. I also love the Goodall neck which is fuller and feels much better in my hands than most modern guitars. Its probably too chunky for some folks.
Good luck.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:52 PM

Phenomenal builder. I think his parlors have the perfect balance of everything. Size is big enough to sound huge (big, full, rich, not boxy or small sounding at all), yes small enough to be extremely comfortable to hold (and a 1 3/4" nut, which is a big plus for versatility, IMO.) Great complexity, but the smaller size keeps the overtones in check (some feel that the large ones have too many overtones for certain styles of play. It's a very personal preference. But I don't think many people would call the parlors excessive in overtones.)

I just sold an amazing Sitka/EIR parlor, and I have an amazing all-mahogany parlor. I'm blown away by James' guitars, and these two parlors are definitely among my favorites of any I've owned or played.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:03 PM

I've probably had close to a 100 come through the shop over the years - maybe a little more. I've only played one that I didn't like. Fabulous guitars in every way.

Buy used
Old 08-29-2014, 08:07 PM

I'm a big fan. I've owned several over the years and ended up wih a traditional drednaught. Blew me away the first time I played it and still does. I do agree about the Aloha models. I've owned a few that were fantastic.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:08 PM

Have owned 14 Goodalls and they have all been excellent. The parlors appeal especially to me.

One thing I am constantly impressed with apart from all that has been mentioned in this thread is how James manage to get such a rich sounding and articulate guitar without having to resort to scalloping the tone bars (except on the traditional models). Yu get an incredibly stable yet responsive guitar.

Collings OM2H Adi / Braz
Doerr Legacy Swiss / Braz
Franklin OM German / Braz
Franklin OM Carpathian / Braz
Goodall GC Italian / Honduran
Goodall GC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Afr. Blackwood
McPherson 5.0 Full Koa
McPherson 5.0XP Adi / Braz
Martin D-28GE Adi / Braz
Old 08-29-2014, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

They are wonderful guitars and they are absolutely crawling with overtones. That sounds doesn't always work well for me, however. My playing tends to be pretty traditional. I have played few Goodalls that didn't impress me.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:14 PM

Default Goodall

Absolutely stunning tone and top shelf workmanship. You can't describe the sound, you just have to find onr and play it.

I was lucky enough to find one used that looked like it never came out of its case. It was at a high end shop in Atlanta and it blew away every SCGC, Collings and Lowden in the shop.

If you've never played one you owe it to yourself to find one and spend some time with it.

Just my less than humble opinion.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:05 PM

Default Goodall

Outstanding; that's the only way to put it. I have several high end guitars and none quite match the perfection of fit and finish my Goodall has. They come close, though. I love each of mine, and they fill different needs, but every time I pick up the Goodall, I wonder how I ever put it down for another.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion