The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-18-2018, 09:33 AM

Default The new reimagined hd 35 vs new 2015 hd 35

I suddenly have the bug to replace my D-76 that I sold years ago in a moment of poverty. I am pretty well sure I want a new HD 35 but now Martin is coming out with the reimagined hd 35 with the x brace moved forward. This is supposed to give it more bass. Martin is going to have a show out here Sept 23. Should I wait? Will the difference be that big of a deal? And, I've looked at other guitars (Taylor, Santa Cruz) and I have not been that impressed unless you start looking at the higher end guitars like Goodall. McCabes had a great Goodall on the wall for years (finally sold) but for one thing, it was selling for $5000.00 and another, while it's sound was perfect it did not have the bassy quality of the D35 or hd35. What I liked about it was how much easier it was to push the strings down. I think to get a similar sound to a Martin HD 35 and get more bass I'd have to add another five grand to the price tag and get something with Brazilian Rosewood. I'd just as soon keep the price tag down. Your thoughts?

P.S. No. I don't want to buy another D-76. I'm learning that if someone did not take very good care of their Martin, it starts to sound washed out. (And by the way, why is that?)

P.S.S. I'd love to try a reimagined HD 35 before I make my final decision but no one has one here in Los Angeles.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

The reimagined HD-35 is already out. LA is a big place: surely there must be a dealer or two with an HD-35 in stock? An maybe try a J-40 as well: those are big boys with plenty of bottom end.

It's true that the 2018 model has a forward shifted X-brace, but I can't tell you whether or not that will give you the sound you want: only your ears can. I played the previous iteration of the HD-35 for 6 years and I can tell you that it already had plenty of bass.

As for tonewood, EIR--which the HD-35 uses in its construction--is generally regarded as more bassier than BRW so I'm not sure that's actually what you'd want to do with an extra 5K in any case.

Whatever you get, you should be able to get the action adjusted so the strings are as easy to push down as you'd like. The new model also has differences in spacing at the nut, saddle, neck shape, and neck profile so that may or may not be a big deal for you. This is unique to your hands.

What exactly about bass is it you are looking for? Do you want a deep presence that's more of a surround sound feel? Or a low end that's rich and tight where the bass register cuts in the mix?
Old 08-18-2018, 02:32 PM

I always preferred the bass quality of the D-35 over the D-28. I started with a D-18 as a kid. Played a D-35 at a music store in Bakersfield, Brazilian, I think, and went, Wow! But I was maybe 15 and I looked at the price tag (gulp!) $450.00. That seemed like too much money at the time. Later, when I was ready, I went into a guitar store in Oakland and bought the D-76 in 1976, $1,600.00, but I also traded in my 1961 telecaster and my D-18 to bring the price down. I'm digging around town, trying guitar stores I haven't tried before. I just found a reimagined M36. Going to go try it now. Maybe that will give me a clue. One store had a reimagined D-28 but I found it rather dead and I'm not sure why.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

I think the biggest difference is the neck... the reimagined has the 1 3/4 modern standard necks with taper. The 2015 has 1 11/16. Most like the new neck better. I don’t.

So playing them both is a good idea if you are sensitive to different necks.

Last edited by SalFromChatham; 08-18-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duh View Post
I suddenly have the bug to replace my D-76 that I sold years ago in a moment of poverty. I am pretty well sure I want a new HD 35 but now Martin is coming out with the reimagined hd 35 with the x brace moved forward. This is supposed to give it more bass. Martin is going to have a show out here Sept 23. Should I wait?

P.S.S. I'd love to try a reimagined HD 35 before I make my final decision but no one has one here in Los Angeles.
I suggest you hold off until you can play the HD35. The way I've experienced it, forward shifted bracing adds highs through additional resultant harmonics, not increased bass. But note that I'm speaking in generalities and the new HD35 might be different and there may be some increased bass. FWIW I've always thought that the regular D35 (in that price range) had plenty of everything.

As far as nobody having the HD35 in your area, you're talking about a $3000+ instrument. If you can't find one in LA I suggest you locate a store that has one or more (probably Sweetwater) and spend $300 for a plane ticket to the store and try them for yourself. LA has a 9.25% sales tax, so if you bought it in LA the tax itself might be as much or more as a plane ticket... or at least greatly subsidize the travel cost. JMO
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 08-19-2018, 12:25 AM

Great advice from all of you. First, I did a little more research and found a reimagined D 35 nearby. I was looking for more bass and, although it was perfect, I think I prefer the 2015 HD 35 and the 2015 D 35. There's a 2018 standard D 35 which is very bass-y at the Westwood Guitar Center. So, I'm going to try the HD 35 with some Lifespan 13 strings so that I can better compare it with the 2015 D35 which I like. Different stores put on different strings and it makes the comparison difficult.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Great advice from all of you. First, I did a little more research and found a reimagined D 35 nearby. I was looking for more bass and, although it was perfect, I think I prefer the 2015 HD 35 and the 2015 D 35. There's a 2018 standard D 35 which is very bass-y at the Westwood Guitar Center. So, I'm going to try the HD 35 with some Lifespan 13 strings so that I can better compare it with the 2015 D35 which I like. Different stores put on different strings and it makes the comparison difficult.

Look forward to hearing about your “35” experience. I have tried a couple of the reimagined martins and they sounded good, but the 1 3/4 nut is a deal breaker for me. So, the 2015 D-35 and HD-35 would be my choice.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 08-29-2018, 01:17 AM

Thank each and everyone of you. Everyone had some bit of advice I needed to help me make my final decision. I went with the 2015 HD 35. Maybe if I had tried a reimagined HD 35 I would have gone for that but I felt that trying the reimagined M36 and reimagined D35 at Westwood Music (wonderful people there) helped my decision for the 2015 HD35 at Sam Ash(thanks to Shaun for changing the strings). This was also a sentimental purchase. Losing the 1976 Bicentennial D35 when I was dirt poor probably factored in. Inside every 35 that year it says 50th Anniversary. One day I might drop by LA guitar again and order the Seth Avett D35, but for now, I think I'll get the Tonewood Amp, Dimarzio magnetic black angel pickup and start practicing the finger picking for Scarborough Fair.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:02 AM

Congratulations Duh.
Sounds like you got a great guitar.
I play a 1981 D-35 that I got new.

I still love mine and I bet you will love your HD-35.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Thank each and everyone of you. Everyone had some bit of advice I needed to help me make my final decision. I went with the 2015 HD 35. Maybe if I had tried a reimagined HD 35 I would have gone for that.

Congratulations. I think you made a good decision. The HD 35 is an excellent instrument. Since my last reply I did get to play a "reimagined" HD35. I was not impressed by it. It sounded thin to me. I liked the previous version better. I think they went a step too far with it.

To celebrate perhaps you might consider picking up a set of Santa Cruz Mid Tension strings to test on it? While I've only done limited testing I've become a fan of the SC strings.

Again, congratulations!
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 08-29-2018, 11:34 AM

I will take your advice and get the Santa Cruz strings.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:22 PM

Outside of the consideration of a 1-3/4" nut (mandatory for my arthritis) I think anybody who has a Martin they already love is being "silly" (my opinion) to think they must have a newer or re-imagined Martin. I'll take a 10 year or older any model over brand new, unless again the new nut width/neck profile matters.

I have a pre-VTS OM-18 Authentic '33, now going on seven years old, no way I would trade it just to get a newer VTS model.

D-35's/HD-35's already have plenty of bass IMHO, more would make them bass heavy to me. The grass is not always greener just because it's new.........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 08-29-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I will take your advice and get the Santa Cruz strings.

I think you'll like them. If not try Sunbeam 12's. That's what I like on my '72 D35.

I re-read your post above and then realized the bi-centenial D35 had star fingerboard inlays, no? Those vintage 70's guitars were both the best and worst that Martin ever produced. IMO best sounding era, but with that pesky intonation problem. My '72 has had the bridge filled and split saddles installed and recently had the neck reset with new frets. I'll never sell mine.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:02 PM

I believe Grayson's Tune Town in Montrose (just next to Glendale) still has one in stock. Give them a call. (I liked it a lot; but then I liked the earlier model also and didn't have them side by side to compare.)

Well, didn't read all the way down to the end, so this advice is too late. A trip to Grayson's will either torment you or confirm your good judgement.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:05 AM

I think the one in Montrose is a 2018 standard D35, not a reimagined D35, at least in terms of what is online. Did you see a reimagined HD 35 there?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion