The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-22-2013, 05:12 PM

Default Tuning down vintage acoustics?

I have a vintage acoustic (60s) small body guitar and its my first vintage guitar really. Do most people recommend tuning down vintage guitars to keep less tension on the neck? If so do you do a full or half step down?
Old 08-22-2013, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

I tune all my acoustics down half a step. None of them sound good to me tuned down a full step...but to each his own. Try it and see.

You certainly can't hurt the guitar by down tuning, and you just might forestall a future neck reset because of the reduced tension.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:40 PM

I play mine at full tension, including a '31 Gibson that is so lightly built it practically floats. All have had a neck reset some time in the past coupla decades.

Edited to Add: by the way, I have asked many top vintage dealers about this - e.g., Steve Swan, RetroFret, Lark St, Elderly...I play and maintain my old guitars based on their counsel.

Last edited by WordMan; 08-23-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:55 AM

I use light gauge strings, 6 strings tuned to pitch, 12 strings down a step.
If you use mediums, tuning down a little wouldn't be a bad idea.
et al
Old 08-23-2013, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

I keep my ladder braced 30's era vintage guitars, set up with light gauge strings a half step down when I'm not using them for awhile. I'm not sure if it does any good and I'm tempted to ask a few experts for their opinions.

My X braced vintage instruments have always been tuned to full pitch without a single problem.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
I keep my ladder braced 30's era vintage guitars, set up with light gauge strings a half step down when I'm not using them for awhile. I'm not sure if it does any good and I'm tempted to ask a few experts for their opinions.....
If you do, let us know what they say.

My latest find, a thirties Supertone birch parlor, seems so fragile that I'm afraid to tune it to standard pitch.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:56 PM

I have three 1930s ladder braced guitars. I tune down 1 to 1 1/2 steps and string with medium gauge strings.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweiss View Post

My latest find, a thirties Supertone birch parlor, seems so fragile that I'm afraid to tune it to standard pitch.
I have played a 1939/40 Supertone birch parlor for years and can tell you they are not that delicately built or fragile. They are certainly heavier built than my Schmidt-made concerts.

Last edited by zombywoof; 08-23-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
If you do, let us know what they say.

Ok, I asked several experts in the vintage guitar field. Brandon at Elderly and George Gruhn recommend tuning down ONLY if you're planning on keeping the guitars in storage over an extended period of several months.

Neil Harpe of Stella Guitars.com and Benn of Vintage Licks keep their guitars at full tension. However, they do not place their guitars in storage as they are both dealers and players.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:22 AM

1933 Epiphone small body archtop, first and only vintage guitar, light strings (.12 gauge), standard pitch. no clue what bracing ( do archtops have bracing?) .
Old 08-24-2013, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
Ok, I asked several experts in the vintage guitar field. Brandon at Elderly and George Gruhn recommend tuning down ONLY if you're planning on keeping the guitars in storage over an extended period of several months.

Neil Harpe of Stella Guitars.com and Benn of Vintage Licks keep their guitars at full tension. However, they do not place their guitars in storage as they are both dealers and players.
Thanks...that's good to know.

I wouldn't be concerned so much if we were talking about higher quality instruments such as Martin or Gibson...but these old Supertones were built cheaply for the mail order trade to be sold at a price the common man could afford. But then again, if a guitar has survived 75+ years in somebody's attic, it must not be too fragile.

Last edited by sweiss; 08-24-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
I have played a 1939/40 Supertone birch parlor for years and can tell you they are not that delicately built or fragile. They are certainly heavier built than my Schmidt-made concerts.
How were you able to date your guitar so closely?

I can narrow mine down to the thirties, but that's as close as I've been able to get it.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:15 AM

Default Just one opinion

I keep my 1967 000-18 down a half step, not just for the neck, but cuz its easier on the top and the bridge. Its in great shape and I want to keep it that way. I do it as a precaution.

The Martin guys (Larry and Richard) tell me its not necessary, but I do it cuz it makes me feel better. "Its a Martin, made to be played up to pitch" they say. Yeah, I know, but still....

I am told it has the non-adjustable T bar truss rod that is very strong and the neck is straight and true...I want to keep it that way. I baby my guitars.

I also keep my 1928 0-18 down a half step with Silk and Steel strings, just to ease things a bit.

My 1988 Martin J65M also lives down a half, but tuned up when I take it to play with others, then down again till next time.

Call me crazy or careful..I dont mind, I'll answer to both.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
How were you able to date your guitar so closely?

I can narrow mine down to the thirties, but that's as close as I've been able to get it.
Some will have date stamps in them.

If not, you can sometimes narrow down the dates by finding the corresponding Harmony model. Mine has an art deco panel design which Harmony did not introduce until 1939 while the Supertone name was replaced in the Sears catalog with Silvertone In 1941.

Last edited by zombywoof; 08-24-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:39 PM

Depends on how the instrument is made- with a truss rod Im guessing its fine .
The idea of tuning it down if your storing a guitar for a long period of time is a good one in my opinion - say 3 months on up.

Now if your vintage guitar does not have a truss rod -say like an old Washburn etc. those get low tension strings -and i also take the tension off, if for a certain period of time .Ive seen many of these guitars ruined by using regular strings- thats a no no .

I don't look at 60's guitars as Vintage ( guess because I'm older than dirt )
at least thats what my daughter tells me !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion