The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-31-2022, 05:20 PM

Default Help me decide - Collings 001 or 0001. 12 Fret

I’ve really been leaning hard on you folks lately, many apologies. First it was with help finding a 00-18 12 fret style guitar. Then it was hitting a price point and feedback on a Collings 001.

Well as it turns out I think I’m going all in on Collings (my Eastman all but sold atm) and there are two very nice Collings on the market right now, both 12 frets 001 and 0001, with the 0001 being slightly better priced.

Essentially it’s down to a few specs - the slightly larger body size and the different scale lengths (24.9 vs 25.5). This will be my only guitar and I’m familiar with both styles of guitar (had a few 000 12 full scale guitars) but more recently honed in on short scale 00s. I go back and forth on finger style and strumming, although not heavy strumming.

I guess my quandary is - it’s been a while since I’ve owned a full scale guitar and for some reason I’m apprehensive about it but I might be over reacting. Right? I mean these instruments must be extremely similar that either are likely to be excellent choices. Realistically if I thought the playability of the 0001 was a little challenging then custom lights could be a gamer changer?

Anyone have experienced between the two models? Can anyone provide any insight/direction?
Old 05-31-2022, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Hi, I got into Collings with a Ds2h Dread, and then bought a used 0002h.
On the dread(s) I put medium gauge (13-56), and lights (12-54) on the 000.

I have a couple of 00 sized, one made for me in '98, and an Eastman E40-00 and having recently had an op on myleft hand can appreciate the subtle differences of strings and scale.

The shorter scale with lights certainly is easier to play but the 000 has the power.
Remember that Collings or Eastman are both "tributes" of Martin designs and they used to describe these models by supposed audience size.

The 00 is/was a "grand Concert, and the 000 an "auditorium.

So if your intended use is at home or in a small gathering, the 00 will serve very well but if your proposed audience is significantly larger opt for the 000.

Frankly , you can't lose with either.
Old 05-31-2022, 05:32 PM

I apologize if this complicates your decision, but I noticed a few days ago that Guitar Center has a great deal on a 00-18 Authentic.

I recently went on a Texas-wide hunt for the best guitar I could find. I played lots of builds without bias, and was very open to buying a Collings, but the Martin 000-28 Authentic was head-and-shoulders the best I found. Once I played it, the decision wasn't even particularly hard.
Old 05-31-2022, 05:49 PM

CC,

I appreciate your gas inducing response!

So the good news for me is that I’m in Canada and I’m keeping my purchases within the country. The 001 and 0001 are not close enough to play or compare which is what really spawned the thread

They also are about about 1k cheaper than the authentic, including shipping and any tax or brokerage fees.

I say this positively because your right, the Authentics are probably in an even higher league and I’m already spending money I don’t have. Ha!
Old 05-31-2022, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Wilder1 View Post
I say this positively because your right, the Authentics are probably in an even higher league and I’m already spending money I don’t have. Ha!
The great news is that, with the caliber of instruments that we're discussing, just about any of them could be a desert island guitar. The Martin is what spoke to me on my hunt, but Collings are world-class instruments that can easily be all the guitar you ever need.

If I was trying to decide between the two you're looking at, I think I'd go with the 00. I love a short scale, and 00s are a little more comfortable to me.
Old 05-31-2022, 06:10 PM

Thanks Silly,

Sorry missed your post. It’s exclusively for at home playing which is what got me on the 00 short scale to begin with.

Perhaps that’s the path and I was right all along.
Old 05-31-2022, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc132 View Post
The great news is that, with the caliber of instruments that we're discussing, just about any of them could be a desert island guitar. The Martin is what spoke to me on my hunt, but Collings are world-class instruments that can easily be all the guitar you ever need.

If I was trying to decide between the two you're looking at, I think I'd go with the 00. I love a short scale, and 00s are a little more comfortable to me.

Yeah I think you’re right!
Old 06-01-2022, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Wilder1 View Post
CC,

Not in my experience. This is of course really a matter of taste, and both Collings and Martin Authentics are fine guitars--but with entirely different tones and attributes. It's just silly to say one is best unless one is saying it is best for you. From my perspective, the Martin Authentics are Martin's attempt to play in the Collings (and Santa Cruz, Huss and Dalton and Bourgeois) "league." Whether they do or not is up to each player. I prefer Collings.
Old 06-01-2022, 03:14 AM

Based on personal experience, between those two models I would choose the 0001.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

That’s a tough call and one can certainly feel those subtle differences in scale length and size.

Since you’d only be playing at home and are already comfortable with the smaller body size and scale length, the 00 seems more like a slam dunk for long-term enjoyment.

I own Collings (and Martin etc). I’m sure either would serve you well. They are exquisite guitars and improve when played.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:57 AM

I woke up rejuvenated about the decision and I appreciate the subtle nudges in the right direction.

Out with the Eastman and I’ll go after the 001. Ive landed on 00s for a reason.

Should I be successful I will spending the next 2-3 months shooting it against the WL-S in a winner take all combat.

To the winner - to remain for the long haul!

To the loser - hasta la vista, probably to a fellow AGF member.

And then no more GAS :P

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion