The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-05-2024, 11:16 AM

When I retired I was very close to treating myself to a Mazda Miata convertible - dark red with tan interior to be specific. I was scouting Carmax, etc., for months. Then my next door neighbor bought the exact same car. I was angry. When I first saw him driving around in it with the top down, I realized he, a fat old bald man like me, looked completely ridiculous in it. Not the cool impression I thought I would make. So glad I didn't waste the money on it.
Old 05-05-2024, 01:37 PM

A year after I retired, I bought a Martin Custom Shop D18. At $3300 it was definitely the nicest guitar I'd ever owned. Shortly thereafter I bought a 6 month old Bourgeois D Vintage for $4500 which has turned out to be a truly remarkable guitar. Buying these guitars didn't really put a dent in my savings that lasted more than a month or so and there are absolutely no regrets there.

I am now paying rent for the first time in over 30 years (something I never thought I'd do again) to live in a 55+ for profit mobile home park, thanks to a divorce. However, my pension and SS income are more than 5x my monthly rent/utilities and I can easily afford to travel internationally every year and/or do a bunch of dance or music camps (Swannanoah her I come!).

My income is a little shy of being able to afford dual residences and do the snow bird thing between North Carolina and Florida. Another life partner would be required to swing that.
2 tele partscasters
Yamaha Pacifica 611 VFM
Old 05-05-2024, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post
We decided after 30 years, to move from a lovely suburb of St Paul MN to a much smaller city in northwest Washington state.

In our experience, it takes about 2 years living in a certain location to really "figure things out..".

Not infrequently I ask myself the question:" Am I living in the USA or a third world country?...."

After living for over forty five years in the better suburbs of major metro cities, the many downsides of "small town" life(at least in the pacific north west) continue to shock me.

This change would have been more tolerable if our current housing costs would not have been the highest in the country, after Hawaii.
I often wonder what motivates people to spend decades and build a life in one place, then pull up roots and go somewhere else in retirement - away from friends, family, routines, etc.

I’ve lived here in central Washington for 30 years. It was not on any list of places to move to, but it was the only job offer I got when I finished college.

Funny thing is after 30 years, raising my kids, making friends, building a life - this is where we plan to stay.

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 05-05-2024, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Mandobart;7455180]I often wonder what motivates people to spend decades and build a life in one place, then pull up roots and go somewhere else in retirement - away from friends, family, routines, etc.

Thanks,

There's always someone who makes assumptions about other people's personal situation and apply it to their own ....

The OP was asking for peoples "regrets"not a criticism of those actions...
Old 05-06-2024, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I often wonder what motivates people to spend decades and build a life in one place, then pull up roots and go somewhere else in retirement - away from friends, family, routines, etc.
Often, it's exactly as you stated. Decades of the same thing can get a person thinking about other life paths that they have yet to experience. That is well worth something much more important than money. Life has its costs if it's well lived.

Creativity comes more easily with a good dose of fool
Old 05-06-2024, 07:45 AM

I've been (mostly) retired for 4 years and we have done well with my wife still working. She retired in November, which we had prepared for beforehand, by paying off our car, roofing the house, updating various insurances, updating the will, etc.. Our last big ticket item was a 10 day cruise to Alaska scheduled later this year, which we paid for while she was still working.

Our plan is to lay low on spending as we see how this dual retirement shakes out for a year. So far it's not been much fun for her, right after Christmas she broke her leg, about a month after retirement. But she is doing fine now, looking forward to a fun summer.
Old 05-06-2024, 07:56 AM

Quote:
I often wonder what motivates people to spend decades and build a life in one place, then pull up roots and go somewhere else in retirement - away from friends, family, routines, etc. .....
From observations of many friends who have retired and moved, it is never the same for everyone. Sometimes it's returning to be close to aging parents, or closer to family living elsewhere. More often in years past, people would move away from hometown and family for job advancement and returning after retirement. Sometimes it's escaping the snow or heat. A lot of times it was because where they had worked and lived in urban areas where there was a much higher cost-of-living so their planned retirement included moving to a cheaper place to live. The last one has always baffled me as planning for retirement included making sure I had no mortgage expense and everything, other than travel, necessities.... were completely paid off anticipating retirement. No one answer.
Old 05-06-2024, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

I've been retired for 9 years now, though I taught part-time (adjunct) at the local junior college for a year. Luckily, my wife decided to go back to work (after knocking off her bucket-list masters degree) so we didn't both hit the wall, so to speak, until Jan '21. No regrets, though we are now looking at downsizing and the housing market is making me wonder if we shouldn't have thought (and talked) long and hard about this particular topic sooner.

I actually did end up with a ("low-entry-fee" 2001) Miata for a few years (I'll omit the long-ish story behind that). It was fun, getting to do a few long trips and riding the back roads with the top down - never worried what I looked like as I was not trying to impress the girls at this point . But, after the 2nd 4k mile road trip last fall, between the road noise and somewhat punishing ride, I said its time was up so we have a new Subaru now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01miata-dragon2-25092023.jpg (46.7 KB, 90 views)
Old 05-06-2024, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
...I actually did end up with a ("low-entry-fee" 2001) Miata for a few years (I'll omit the long-ish story behind that). It was fun, getting to do a few long trips and riding the back roads with the top down - never worried what I looked like as I was not trying to impress the girls at this point . But, after the 2nd 4k mile road trip last fall, between the road noise and somewhat punishing ride, I said its time was up so we have a new Subaru now.
I also had a post-retirement MX5. Lots of fun for the money, but getting in and out did become increasingly difficult. That doesn't mean I don't still think about owning a rag top, maybe a used Toyota Solara convertible...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 484a158a29e9abb4348f1b0dce9c48ed.jpeg (60.9 KB, 87 views)
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-06-2024, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
When I retired I was very close to treating myself to a Mazda Miata convertible - dark red with tan interior to be specific. I was scouting Carmax, etc., for months. Then my next door neighbor bought the exact same car. I was angry. When I first saw him driving around in it with the top down, I realized he, a fat old bald man like me, looked completely ridiculous in it. Not the cool impression I thought I would make. So glad I didn't waste the money on it.
Dang you! That's exactly how Mrs. Cougar argued against me getting a couple-year-old Audi A5 cabriolet. Yep -- checking out Carmax, etc., for months. Would not be a practical purchase -- we live in the Kootenai Nat'l forest back a forest service road, would probably have to store it for the snowy winter, but boy summers would be fun!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2014 Gibson J-15 -- 2012 Epiphone Dot CH

2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 05-06-2024, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Nope no Regrets

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-06-2024, 02:06 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I also had a post-retirement MX5. Lots of fun for the money, but getting in and out did become increasingly difficult. That doesn't mean I don't still think about owning a rag top, maybe a used Toyota Solara convertible...
The Solara is a great car. Here’s a current pic of mine...an ‘03 SLE V6 with just 43k miles. Top is in terrific condition. I bought it in ‘14 in SW Florida when we wintered there. It’s super clean inside and out. Brought it back to Canada in ‘22. It has a good amount of room as far as ragtops go with plenty of rear legroom for two adults, and a large trunk that can carry 2-3 sets of golf clubs. I really enjoy driving this car!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39585662-3F98-4D75-944A-B3A38EA75C1A.jpg (46.9 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg F1048BDB-81E3-46C3-A443-BE1A770C5280.jpg (47.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 97409BB4-1684-46F4-A35E-F25800D50A35.jpg (39.6 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by Acousticado; 05-06-2024 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-08-2024, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
At least in my area, the VA has housing for assisted living right across the street from the VA Medical Center. Though our wives probably aren't qualified for this (and I don't know yet how this works), we should be. Might be worth looking into ahead of time to have a plan.

Tony
We don't have one close by, but we do have at least a couple in the state. I already told her if need be, park my behind and go finish your life. Don't worry about me.

But yes, I need to start looking just in case, thanks!
Old 05-08-2024, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I’ve lived here in central Washington for 30 years. It was not on any list of places to move to, but it was the only job offer I got when I finished college.

Funny thing is after 30 years, raising my kids, making friends, building a life - this is where we plan to stay.
I agree, but sometimes when you reach that point the people and places that kept you there no longer exist. I'm where I am only because my wife is from here. If not for her I would be gone as well. But I'm in a unique situation, I moved here when I retired from the Army to be "closer" to my family but not in the same local. But my family is no longer even in the state. Died or moved long ago.
Old 05-08-2024, 09:16 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:

In addition to what SFC said, after a lifetime of commitment and being mostly responsible, for some folks it’s likely venting a pent-up unfulfilled sense of adventure. One doesn’t have to cash in all the chips to scratch the itch, but some go that far with it. Some make it work, some have regrets.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic