The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-27-2024, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

I think the K&k is the best solution.

However currently I have a Big Muddy, with a JJB with twin external transducers attached with blue putty. It works great, and comes off easy if I want it too.
Old 02-28-2024, 01:53 AM

I have a K&K in my mandolin, and a JJB in my mandola. I have (had) both in various other instruments. I don’t really hear any consistent difference, but comparing different instrument types, and professional vs self-install makes it difficult to say what causes any difference I may hear. I am happy with all of them.

I have three preamps I use - a K&K, a Baggs ParaAcousticDI, and a ToneDexter. Which one I use seems to have more to do with how much I want to fuss with it on any given night. They are all an improvement over the tone without a pre. If I want/need best possible tone, I’ll use a DPA4099 anyway.

Steven
Eastman MDA-315
2021 Karsten Schnoor Custom B&D Style 5 tenor banjo
2019 Schnoor Weymann (orphaned pot) conversion
1958 Gibson ES-125T
1967 Emmons GS-10
1976 Fender Telecaster (“Ohmygodthisweighsaton”)
Lots and lots of other stuff
Old 02-28-2024, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricemcm View Post
I enjoyed looking the Oakwood website over but did not see any reference to pickups. I recommend you contact Oakwood for a recommendation. Installing an internal pickup in a mandolin is not easy. . . .
Yup. That's why I said to have it installed. An experienced lutheir or tech should be able to make short work of it.

A mandolin pickup from JJB or K&K should fit, but there's no harm in asking them or Oakwood, just to be sure.
Old 02-28-2024, 04:27 PM

LR Baggs Radius is a very easy mandolin pickup install and it sounds pretty good too. It can be permanently mounted internally to an end pin jack, or just mounted to the top with putty routed to a side-mount carpenter jack.

Here's a little blurry picture one mounted to my Flatiron A with a carpenter jack and putty...

Old 03-01-2024, 02:24 PM

Hey Rockabilly, how do you like your Flatiron Performer A? What year is it?
Old 03-01-2024, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmade View Post
Hey Rockabilly, how do you like your Flatiron Performer A? What year is it?
I really like it, and I have some other nice mandos (Gibson F5G, Gibson A5G, and a 1917 Gibson A1). It plays well, and has a very sweet tone. Not as loud as the Gibsons, but close. I also like the end of the fretboard being square and not getting in the way!

Here's a better picture of the first day that I got it and cleaned it up...

Old 03-12-2024, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

I've been gigging with a Baggs radius M , works very well. Ridiculously easy to install and remove. The putty holding the pickup on the instrument face does not mark the finish .
I've had it on instruments for months, decided to amplify a different instrument, removed it with no marks on the finish and even used the same putty to attach it to the second instrument.
you do need to experiment with the pick up placement a little but it's very easy to move it finding a good spot.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

I had the Radius-M on a couple mandolins and the pickup doesn't leave a mark in my experience, though you could mark the top moving it around if the finish is thin or soft, and you're not careful.

The carpenter jack that comes with the Radius-M, however, might leave some "footprint" on the edge, just like an armrest (or chinrest on a fiddle), depending on the kind of finish you have, perhaps, but it does need to be on reasonably tight if you're plugging in and unplugging whatever cables are presented to you in your gigs. Might buff out or not (never tried, myself.)
Old 03-14-2024, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
I had the Radius-M on a couple mandolins and the pickup doesn't leave a mark in my experience, though you could mark the top moving it around if the finish is thin or soft, and you're not careful.

The carpenter jack that comes with the Radius-M, however, might leave some "footprint" on the edge, just like an armrest (or chinrest on a fiddle), depending on the kind of finish you have, perhaps, but it does need to be on reasonably tight if you're plugging in and unplugging whatever cables are presented to you in your gigs. Might buff out or not (never tried, myself.)
It's carpenter jack has never left a mark on my Flatiron. (fingers crossed)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments