The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-23-2023, 10:01 PM

Default Yamaha 12 string acoustic & Yamaha nylon string

I don’t own a 12 string guitar. Saw a new Yamaha 12 string hanging in the acoustic room at my local music store. I took it down and played for just a bit. Look the guitar over and said myself, “Man this is a really nice looking and well made guitar. The price on it must be ridiculous”. I flipped the tag over and it was $379.99. I was like “Whaaat”?!?! It took a lot of self control to not whip out the credit card buy it on the spot. Two things stopped me, 1.) I literally just bought Taylor mahogany guitar like 2 weeks ago. 2.) I never really played a 12 string before and knew nothing about Yamaha or the model … FG820 12-String Dreadnought

Part 2: My son has a cheaper Fender nylon 3/4 guitar. He is actually a drummer but has taken to guitar. He has had this guitar for a few years and was looking for a full size, but likes nylon string. His birthday is coming up in April. I was thinking about getting him one, but didn’t want to break the bank. The same store had a full size Yamaha nylon string guitar there, Yamaha CG102 … $209.99. I didn’t get a chance to play it because he didn’t have it on the floor yet, but they said they would next week.
Any word from you all on Yamaha acoustics or these 2 in particular?
2018 Taylor Academy 12e
2007 Dean Performer ce
Electric -
2014 Fender Telecaster Modern Player
1996 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2021 Gretsch Tri Five G5410t
1960-70’s-ish Heit SG
Old 02-24-2023, 06:39 AM

I have the precursor to the FG820-12 (mine is the FG720S-12). I didn't have much experience with 12 strings, either, but knew I wanted one. I also knew I didn't want to spend a bundle of dough in case I didn't take to it. So off into the research ether I went, for about, oh, six weeks or so.
I discovered that for a first time 12-string guitar, the Yamahas are highly regarded, very well built, are easy to play as far as 12-string guitars go (with a good, professional setup, that is) and they sound great.
Solid spruce top, solid back and sides, neck isn't too wide....was a no-brainer for me. I found one that was near mint on Ebay for about $289, IIRC. I bought a bone saddle and bridge pins from Bob Colosi and had Elderly Instruments do the setup. It has been a neat guitar to tinker with and "upgrade". I put a rosewood armrest on it and removed the stock pickguard and replaced it with a wood veneer one that is cut in the Gibson Hummingbird shape with the color and grain of a Tayor 814ce pickguard that closely matches the rosewood (it's not perfect, but close enough for government work considering the guitar). It has been a joy to have in the collection.
If you're interested in a low-cost, value 12-string, I can't recommend the Yamahas enough. You can find good used ones for around $300 +/- a few bucks.
But please do yourself the favor of getting a professional setup on it so it will be enjoyable to play.
Luck.

2013 Yamaha FG720S-12 (Sitka/mahogany)
Old 02-24-2023, 06:50 AM

Yamaha is the most dependable company I know. Back when I was teaching guitar I had all my students get a used Yamaha classical. Never a problem with those.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 02-24-2023, 09:24 AM

Hey guys - I really appreciate the input here. As I had mentioned before, I really do not know much about Yamaha guitars so it’s good to hear. They are a good value for what you’re getting. First time 12 string and a full-size nylon sound like they might work for both my son and I.

Any other comments are certainly welcome. I have until the end of April to pull the trigger. That’s that’s when my son’s birthday is.

Guilty Spark - your “upgrades“ came out pretty nice. I like what you’ve done with that piece.

I have a guitar guy that far from me that I use for repairs, etc. on all my guitars. The guy does unbelievable work and is extremely reasonable. I guess I would take the 12 string to him whether I got a new or used as soon as I got it.
2018 Taylor Academy 12e
2007 Dean Performer ce
Electric -
1960-70’s-ish Heit SG
Old 02-24-2023, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

If it sounds good, it is good. Don't think you'll find much knock on Yamaha's around here. If not the best, they are probably right up there with the best price point on decent guitars.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 02-24-2023, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

"Yamahas are highly regarded, very well built, are easy to play as far as 12-string guitars go (with a good, professional setup, that is) and they sound great.
Solid spruce top, solid back and sides, neck isn't too wide...."

Correction: the FG-820-12 has laminated back and sides. All the FG series do, like just about every new guitar anywhere near their price.

I agree with you about Yamaha's quality and value, and especially the need for a good professional setup, with attention to frets and nut slots.

The hardest to play guitar I know was my brother's Framus 12 string, back in the 1970s. Now I realize it probably never had a good setup.

My first new "nice" brand new guitar was a Yamaha AC1R with a pro setup. I later got an FG800 and with my new-found skills did my own setup. My two FG200s from the 1970s await neck resets, in case I am ever looking for a big project.
Old 02-24-2023, 12:15 PM

I advise getting a 12 string that is comparable to your 6 string. A nice 6 string will have more mojo than a budget 12 string.

The same advice applies to bicycles: don’t skimp on a tandem bike. Tandems need better brakes, better wheels, stiffer frame, etc. Similarly, 12 string guitars need to be as good as or better than 6 string guitars.
Furch D24 SR 12 string
Rickenbacker 330w 6 string
Old 02-25-2023, 08:02 AM

It is always good to hear from people who know more than I do on a subject matter. Thanks much guys for all the feedback. Some good information in this post and I am happy for it.
2018 Taylor Academy 12e
2007 Dean Performer ce
Electric -
1960-70’s-ish Heit SG

Last edited by 1stGuitar; 02-25-2023 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-25-2023, 09:04 AM

they are just about the "go to" for the affordable to middle class cost wise on this board. I bought my Grandson an FX800 for Christmas last year.

It's perfect for him.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 02-25-2023, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGuitar View Post
I don’t own a 12 string guitar. Saw a new Yamaha 12 string hanging in the acoustic room at my local music store. I took it down and played for just a bit. Look the guitar over and said myself, “Man this is a really nice looking and well made guitar. The price on it must be ridiculous”. I flipped the tag over and it was $379.99. I was like “Whaaat”?!?! It took a lot of self control to not whip out the credit card buy it on the spot. Two things stopped me, 1.) I literally just bought Taylor mahogany guitar like 2 weeks ago. 2.) I never really played a 12 string before and knew nothing about Yamaha or the model … FG820 12-String Dreadnought

Part 2: My son has a cheaper Fender nylon 3/4 guitar. He is actually a drummer but has taken to guitar. He has had this guitar for a few years and was looking for a full size, but likes nylon string. His birthday is coming up in April. I was thinking about getting him one, but didn’t want to break the bank. The same store had a full size Yamaha nylon string guitar there, Yamaha CG102 … $209.99. I didn’t get a chance to play it because he didn’t have it on the floor yet, but they said they would next week.
Any word from you all on Yamaha acoustics or these 2 in particular?
Do consider what type of material he will be playing. His needs might be much better served by the purchase of a crossover nylon like those made by Cordoba. The crossover has a narrower neck than a standard classical and has a radiused neck like most steel strung acoustics.

I'm not familiar with all of the guitars that Yamaha produces, but they may well have a lower tier crossover nylon in their model selection.
Old 02-25-2023, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Do consider what type of material he will be playing. His needs might be much better served by the purchase of a crossover nylon like those made by Cordoba. The crossover has a narrower neck than a standard classical and has a radiused neck like most steel strung acoustics.

I'm not familiar with all of the guitars that Yamaha produces, but they may well have a lower tier crossover nylon in their model selection.
Actually, for my son, I would like to do a “crossover“ nylon string guitar. If (or anyone) has any Cordoba suggestions, they would be much appreciate it. I actually started looking at the Cordova’s for him originally, but didn’t know which were crossovers and which were your classic, classical guitar with the wide neck.
2018 Taylor Academy 12e
2007 Dean Performer ce
Electric -
1960-70’s-ish Heit SG
Old 02-25-2023, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Actually, for my son, I would like to do a “crossover“ nylon string guitar. If (or anyone) has any Cordoba suggestions, they would be much appreciate it. I actually started looking at the Cordova’s for him originally, but didn’t know which were crossovers and which were your classic, classical guitar with the wide neck.
Cordoba's crossovers are labeled as the Fusion line. All of the Fusions will have a 1-7/8" wide nut and a radiused fretboard. Their base level crossover is the Cordoba Fusion 5.

I own a Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra and it's a very nice guitar, but a bit higher up the food chain.

If he happens to be interested in an Acoustic-Electric the Cordoba Stage would be a great purchase. I've been holding myself back from getting one, so I'm pretty familiar with them.

Last edited by Rudy4; 02-25-2023 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-19-2024, 08:12 PM

Default A year late

I know I'm a year late jumping in here, and I'm sure you've already made your decision, but let me tell ya....the Yamaha FG-820-12 is a fine instrument! I bought one in December of '23, had it set up...and LOVE it! The way I see it, there's no reason to blow a bunch of $$$ on an expensive 12 as long as this thing is available at it's price point.

Quote:
It is always good to hear from people who know more than I do on a subject matter. Thanks much guys for all the feedback. Some good information in this post and I am happy for it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion