The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-16-2024, 05:27 PM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
I fixed it.
Old 04-17-2024, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
Weird. The thing does not resemble any Kalamazoo model ever made.
And why would they? They aren't Gibsons. They are Chinese knock-offs that are called "Kalamazoo" to attract people who are always seeking some way to buy a cheap version of a guitar they're interested in. If you call something by a recognized name, people will look to see what this new product is. Like a bad motor-vehicle accident. Utter chaos but........ you just have to look.
Old 04-17-2024, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

The manufacturing of these guitars was apparently organized by Paul Fox, who wrote the book “The Other Brands of Gibson”. You’d think they would be a little more accurate in at least the body shapes.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:55 AM

12 or so years back Paul Fox was offering his own line of 1930s Kalamazoos and Gibsons including a KG-11F and an Oriole as well as a Nick Lucas and L1. Whether he bult these himself, had some hands-on involvement or contracted the whole shebang out I do not have a clue. If memory serves me correctly, while not what I would call expensive, they sold for considerably more than the instrument currently up for grabs.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Here's a little more detail about the KG-11 from Jake Wildwood, who had one pass through his shop recently. Not the specific model OP asked about but may give some insight as to specs and quality.

https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/20...-kg-11-00.html
Old 04-18-2024, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

My son and I host the Facebook site”Gibsons by Another Name” which is devoted to Gibson produced budget guitars like Kalamazoo. We know Paul Fox and purchased about 6 of his KG-11s when they came out. The reason they don’t mirror the dimensions of the original was to keep the price down, the builder in China was already producing a similar model so Paul went with that. The ones we have play and sound great for a $400 guitar, they’re great as a first guitar, one for a kid or just one to take out without worrying about a vintage guitar.
One difference is that they’re X braced versus the ladder bracing of the originals.
We have several originals, my favorites are the’33 KG-11 Seniors, they have solid linings instead of kerfing, I’ve included a photo of my keeper ‘33 Senior.
Remember about these old Kalamazoos, they’ve already had a neck reset or they’re going to need one
For the price I think Paul Fox’s reissues are a good buy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (31.9 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by Texas Bill; 04-24-2024 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-18-2024, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Texas Bill for the info. I agree that they look like a good value for the money. I was especially interested in the Oriole since original Orioles are usually out of my price range. The adi top, maple body, neck specs, etc. all look really cool.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

My experience with original Orioles or KGN-12s is that they’re really good or they’re dogs, of course they’re ladder braced. I’ve never played one of Paul’s Orioles.
I might add that overall I like the KG-11s more than the 12s or 14s, it probably because I have some outstanding early 30s L-series Gibsons.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Texas Bill, do you know if the KHG Hawaiian models can be played like a regular guitar? I have read that it's possible if the neck or nut has been changed out? But I'm not 100% sure.
Old 04-19-2024, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

I'd get an IRIS if I were going for that Kalamazoo tone. Of course, it's only money.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-19-2024, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Really ? Iris sound like their ladder braced? I need to try some. The new AB in all hog looks saweeet.
Old 04-20-2024, 09:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

We bought one of the KG-11s for the sole purpose of examining the quality. There wasn't one thing we liked about that guitar. This was about a year ago, maybe they're a little better now that they're up and running. Was not nitro.

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 04-24-2024, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Default KHG Hawaiian guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
Texas Bill, do you know if the KHG Hawaiian models can be played like a regular guitar? I have read that it's possible if the neck or nut has been changed out? But I'm not 100% sure.
A lot of people convert them, some say they’re more heavily built, but it is a 12 fret Gibson made guitar. I have a few 1930 Gibson 12 fretters so I’ve never explored the HG or KHG road.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
Really ? Iris sound like their ladder braced? I need to try some. The new AB in all hog looks saweeet.
They do both ladder and x braced like Waterloo did. They also have the same basic price. Good things are said about the brand and I've liked the ones I've played. Check out the IRIS web site.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion