The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-03-2024, 02:22 PM

Personal update: I replaced my Kovar Luxe light gauge with a set of “Balanced Light” Nickel Bronze from D’Addario. Everything in the Martin ad copy quoted below can be applied to the Nickel Bronze; whereas none of that self-praise came even close to the Kovar Luxe as I experienced them on my guitar.

Of course I understand “MY mileage may vary”, and that these strings may well sound fine, even amazing, to the ears of others; or even to mine on another ax. I’m keeping them for just that purpose, as they did improve over time; but having to beat them up for over three weeks ain’t right. (Loud flat pick strumming of all 7 strings open & full chords up and down the finger board for minutes at a time - a Tone Traveler would have been put to shame!) plus drop tuning down to E-flat did tame them somewhat, but the Nickel Bronze was still an immediate improvement, better than expected!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMunkee View Post
It's interesting though, as from the description I should like them - I find Monel slightly too muted, so brighter than that would be good. I like a lovely warm tone, so warmer than PB should be perfect...

That's not my experience of them though - to me they sound VERY metallic, there's no woody acoustic warmth, just the sound of a very different set of strings, almost as though they've detached their sound from that of the guitar entirely.

Oh well, to each their own, just my opinion, doesn't mean I'm right, but I am disappointed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
Martin's description of these sound very interesting.
I am a sucker for good marketing.

From the website:

"ULTRA COMFORTABLE TO PLAY | Kovar strings are easier to fret due to their lower tension, which allows you to play longer and faster and with more precision.
THEY LAST | Kovar strings are naturally corrosion resistant due to the composition of the metal which doesn’t react to the oils in your skin like other string materials. You can play them longer and still sound amazing without any coatings or treatments.

UNIQUE TONE | Kovar strings offer a unique tone that is brighter than Monel and warmer than Phosphor Bronze. If you’re looking for a unique tone that will set your music apart from the crowd, give Kovar a try.

SUPER RESPONSIVE & FREQUENCY-BALANCED | Kovar strings accentuate the natural tone of any instrument, and pairs exceptionally well with guitars featuring magnetic pickups. "

"Kovar strings deliver Superior Performance core with the unique benefits of Kovar wrap wire, a nickel-cobalt alloy. Featuring natural corrosion resistance, clear and balanced tone, and voicing for enhanced attack and response."
Old 04-15-2024, 08:36 PM

Count me a fan today! I finally got around to putting a set of custom lights with a beefed up .013 and .017 for the plain steels on carbon guitar. I love everything about them; the feel, the tension, low string talk, and good projection. No brash string noise! Some here say they are zingy, but I'm not hearing that at all. Just clear, warm and rounded tone...at leat on this guitar. I got a really good deal on a set from Amazon when they first launched for about $11.50. I like these enough that I will be buy a set for my Taylor as well, even if I need to spend a premium next time around.

Great strings Martin, but then again I've always liked Martin's strings.

Last edited by steelvibe; 04-16-2024 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-16-2024, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdrew22 View Post
I really like these strings. I gave up on PB strings a while ago. Switching to Monel strings changed my entire playing experience. I can play for hours with no fatigue. I always felt like I was fighting with bronze strings. These are a step uo from Monel strings for me. I had been using Mangan round core monels prior.

Side note.

I was on Martin's site, and it says these are " licensed by Ernie Ball". I found that interesting

I am using and loving the Mangan round core Monels as well. They seem to balance my guitar which is bright (Macassar b&s 00 size) and has almost excessive sustain (Martin Monels were terrible).

I would be afraid that these would bring back a bit too much brightness, but I am curious.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion