The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-13-2016, 10:41 AM

Default 0.13-.056 Gauge on a Yamaha LS6M, DADGAD?

New here, just found the forum, seems i'll stick around.

So i wanted to ask if the guitar can take the tension of 0.13-0.56 medium strings in a Drop tuning such as DADGAD or maybe even a sort of C tuning? i cant find anything on net on it

Also is there a way to test it? in a couple of last years i got heavily into carthy, john doyle sort of things and these guys have massive sound with these heavy heavy strings, i've heard that they even reinforced guitars, so any info on that would be useful since i don't want to overload the neck
Old 04-13-2016, 10:47 AM

You're about to get all camps chiming in..

but personally, I would have ZERO worries about using medium gauge strings on that model.

Even in standard tuning.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:13 AM

Welcome to AGF!

.013s in DADGAD are probably OK. There's no way to test it. No matter how you string it, if a guitar lives long enough it will eventually need a neck reset. Maybe your choice of strings hastens that event, and you'll get lots of opinions on that. If you have any qualms, put on the .013s and tune down a half step, then go DADGAD (so, C#G#C#F#G#C#).

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, 1966
Old 04-13-2016, 11:50 AM

Using D'Addario's string tension calculator, you can see he effect on total tension yourself:
http://stringtensionpro.com/

IIRC, tuning down to DADGAD drops the tension by 8-10%, which does not completely offset the increase from lights to mediums.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Rather than use a full set of mediums, why not put on a set of strings specifically sold for DADGAD like D'Addario EJ24's, these still have light gauge 3rd, 4th and 5th strings, so doesn't crank up the tension so much when in standard tuning.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 04-13-2016, 12:01 PM

Yeah i was looking for those DADGAD strings but they didn't have them in store.. its a bit complicated ordering online since almost no one ships to where i'm living...

Guys, thanks for answering, i think i'll put them on, just wanted to be sure that its nothing extreme for the neck

Cheers!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion