The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-26-2014, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Default New String Day

No, I'm not asking if I should name my strings.

I played my RainSong Shorty for a couple hours this morning; and made a mental note to change strings. I put a fresh set of Elixirs on this evening, then decided the Taylor 522ce needed a fresh set, too.

I have been playing for 50 years, but this 522 is the first slot-head guitar I've owned. I have read the comments here about what a pain it is to change strings on a slot-head... threading, winding, and poking.

Changing the strings on the Shorty only took about 10 minutes, including getting my work area set up. It took a bit longer with the 522... may be beginner's luck, but not a single finger poke. It took a while to find a good way to use my string winder, and the whole "one wrap on this side, the rest on the other" thing took some thought... all 6 times.

Been doing this so long with the paddle-heads that I don't think much about it. You folks had me concerned about the slot-head. I do like New String Day!

Captain Jim
Old 10-27-2014, 04:09 AM
Charter Member

If anyone would like to see my vids on slothead string changing and/or receive my changing methodology (Word .doc ) then please PM me with your e-mail address.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:11 AM

I personally think the slot head string-changing fear on this forum is completely unfounded. It's *really* not a big deal.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:11 AM
Charter Member

I find that slots are easier for me because, when the tuners are faced downward, I can turn them much faster. Getting them threaded only takes an extra couple of secs.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

I agree - the concern about restringing a slot-head was unfounded. By the time I got to the 4th string, I had it down. (Kinda sounds like playing basketball when I was a kid I had to give that up because it is hard to play guitar with your fingers in splints!)

Being honest (and probably a bit superficial), I never cared much for the look of a slot-head... but, this 522 wowed me with the sound and feel (smaller scale at 24.875"). I knew from the first strum that I would bond with this guitar. Yes, I am aware that you can do a BTO and get a paddle-head instead of a slot-head.

Turns out the string changing is no big deal... after hand unwinding/winding the first couple strings.

Captain Jim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion