The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-29-2024, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctone View Post
Apologies in advance for a newbie question, but can someone explain why a laminated B/S guitar with a solid top would withstand climate changes better than an all solid one? Isn't it particularly the top that will crack or warp with too low or high RH?
That's a good question. I've never left a solid wood guitar in an uncontrolled environment, but the solid top/laminate back and sides Yamahas that I used for decades as "office guitars" never showed any (I mean ZERO!) effects of being left in buildings with the HVAC off for long periods (education buildings), cars, trailers, basements, etc. I am fully confident that the OP could leave an FS800 or and LS6 in the cabin year round with no problems. Just maybe tune it a step down when leaving it for long periods.
Old 03-30-2024, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctone View Post
Apologies in advance for a newbie question, but can someone explain why a laminated B/S guitar with a solid top would withstand climate changes better than an all solid one? Isn't it particularly the top that will crack or warp with too low or high RH?
Two sources of cracks: environmental conditions or impacts.
Laminates (i.e. plywood) are simply stronger, as the grain patterns don't match up thus reinforcing the wood. This is true for both impact and environmental conditions for the backs and sides. Laminates differ in construction: numbers of layers, wood types and whether 90 degree layups as in plywood, or longitudinal layers. I believe Yairi uses that method. Thus the sonic effects of layering will be different.
Accordingly, the laminate areas' resonant properties will be always be altered or reduced somewhat compared to solid wood. I hear it as restricted overtones and sustain in many cases, but I've had laminates that are still very good.
You are generally correct about the top for environmental conditions, but from my experience the backs, edges and sides seem to get knocked around more.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion