The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-10-2024, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Default Pick N Glider

It seems that the Pick N Glider chair is no longer in production. I first experienced this wonderful armless chair at Elderly Instruments @ 15 years ago. I wish I'd have bought one but it wasn't in the budget at the time. Are there any such products on the market today? I'd like something with a back so the drum throne type of thing is out. Hoping there is something out there that I'm not aware of.
Old 03-10-2024, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

It's not a glider, but it's very good!
Steve

https://www.soundseat.com/
Old 03-11-2024, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

not new, but I see pick-n-gliders listed on reverb and FB market place fairly often.
There's one old listing on reverb right now in Illinois.
https://reverb.com/item/69073620-pic...ng-chair-2020s
Old 03-11-2024, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
It's not a glider, but it's very good!
Steve

https://www.soundseat.com/
The SoundSeat looks like a good product. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2024, 12:13 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Put me down as another SoundSeat fan. A bit expensive but well worth the price in the long run. Love mine.

Old 03-11-2024, 02:28 PM

Amazon sells glider rocking chairs. By the looks of this model, a screwdriver or bolt-driver might be all that you need to remove the arms off of the chair.

They probably deliver it in a box where you have to partially assemble it anyway. Just don't attach the arms. And it comes with a free rocking sheet music holder ottomam, lol.

https://www.amazon.com/Angel-Line-Mo...-15&th=1&psc=1

Last edited by maxed; 03-11-2024 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-11-2024, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

It looks to me that such a chair needs those arms intact to keep the structural integrity intact. Probably not a good idea to leave them off.
Old 03-11-2024, 03:28 PM

Looking at that Reverb picture above of the used Pick N Glider, looks like a wooden bracket attaches the seat portion to the back-rest slats. I would just get metal "L" brackets from a hardware store and fasten them together as a brace.

But hey don't mind me, I was just offering a suggestion.
Which you need not follow.

I'll move along now.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
It seems that the Pick N Glider chair is no longer in production. I first experienced this wonderful armless chair at Elderly Instruments @ 15 years ago. I wish I'd have bought one but it wasn't in the budget at the time. Are there any such products on the market today? I'd like something with a back so the drum throne type of thing is out. Hoping there is something out there that I'm not aware of.
Many drum thrones have matching back rests available. I bought a Roc-n-Soc and a back rest but still found it to be uncomfortable.
Old 03-11-2024, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxed View Post
Amazon sells glider rocking chairs. By the looks of this model, a screwdriver or bolt-driver might be all that you need to remove the arms off of the chair.

They probably deliver it in a box where you have to partially assemble it anyway. Just don't attach the arms. And it comes with a free rocking sheet music holder ottoman...
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxed View Post
Looking at that Reverb picture above of the used Pick-N-Glider, looks like a wooden bracket attaches the seat portion to the back-rest slats. I would just get metal "L" brackets from a hardware store and fasten them together as a brace...
For those who may not be aware, the Pick-N-Glider was nothing more than one of those Pac-Rim DIY items you'd find in K-Mart/Wal-Mart's furniture department, which sold for $89-99 complete with matching ottoman when the P&G chair alone was being marketed at four times the price, the ottoman being an extra-cost ($150 IIRC) accessory - FYI even the selection of fabrics was identical to the P&G...

The only difference was, in lieu of the arms, wooden L-shaped brackets were used to secure the back of the chair to the seat: something any local handyman or carpenter - or, for that matter, anyone with a modestly-equipped workspace in their garage and a modicum of woodworking skills - could make from a couple pieces of scrap oak in about an hour, or pay less than $50 to have it done professionally...

In short, $150 for the full deluxe package - rather than the ~$500 that P&G was charging...

BTW I pointed out this nasty little secret on a couple other forums at the time...

Put a lot of P&G owners' thongs in a knot - from mild displeasure to a couple highly-creative but decidedly non-Darwinian allegations involving my maternal ancestry ...

Life lesson: folks will believe what they want, even in the face of hard evidence to the contrary; never make White Castles out of someone's sacred cow; and never ever expose the smoke-and-mirrors charlatan hidden behind the curtain...
Old 03-11-2024, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
For those who may not be aware, the Pick-N-Glider was nothing more than one of those Pac-Rim DIY items you'd find in K-Mart/Wal-Mart's furniture department, which sold for $89-99 complete with matching ottoman when the P&G chair alone was being marketed at four times the price, the ottoman being an extra-cost ($150 IIRC) accessory - FYI even the selection of fabrics was identical to the P&G...

The only difference was, in lieu of the arms, wooden L-shaped brackets were used to secure the back of the chair to the seat: something any local handyman or carpenter - or, for that matter, anyone with a modestly-equipped workspace in their garage and a modicum of woodworking skills - could make from a couple pieces of scrap oak in about an hour, or pay less than $50 to have it done professionally...

In short, $150 for the full deluxe package - rather than the ~$500 that P&G was charging...

BTW I pointed out this nasty little secret on a couple other forums at the time...

Put a lot of P&G owners' thongs in a knot - from mild displeasure to a couple highly-creative but decidedly non-Darwinian allegations involving my maternal ancestry ...

Life lesson: folks will believe what they want, even in the face of hard evidence to the contrary; never make White Castles out of someone's sacred cow; and never ever expose the smoke-and-mirrors charlatan hidden behind the curtain...

Thanks for confirming! I always thought those looked like nursing gliders without arms. That is, it turns out, actually the case.
Old 03-11-2024, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post

I thank you for the honest information, Steve. From looking at it in past years I always suspected this was a "re-packaging" by someone with a sharp eye towards making a few easy bucks.

I always thought they were pretty hideous IMHO, so nothing I would be purchasing in any case.

The sound seat has a large following ,but it has a number of drawbacks that make it less than appealing for me, too.

I still firmly stick to my love of the Mity Lite Flex One folder. I just grabbed one of mine Sunday to take to a gig.

Whenever the "guitar seat" subject comes up the one thing that is always assured is we see that there are many solutions based on personal preference.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion