The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-14-2024, 07:25 PM

Default NGD: Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood

I was worried about the narrower nut (I'm used to the 1.75" Martin) and the convex back, but man this teeny little guitar is so comfortable and packs a WALLOP. As is my custom I've pitched the strings down a half step to make it easier to sing the various covers I sing, all sorted by capo in Ultimate Guitar Tabs.

Strings are Martin MA550T Authentic Acoustic Lifespan 2.0 Treated 92/8 Phosphor Bronze and I had it Plek'd by Sweetwater. Action is low and it feels great. Tension isn't too loose with the half step down.

It's a winner!

Old 01-14-2024, 07:42 PM

looks great! have fun!
Old 01-14-2024, 07:43 PM

Congrats! The GS Mini is a fantastic little guitar!
Old 01-14-2024, 08:08 PM

Thanks!

I tried to buy this guitar twice before. One was a shop that sold it to me as new but didn't include the case and sold me a non-electrified version. I need the 'e' version because I'm hard-of-hearing. I literally can't hear an unamplified guitar...not very well anyway, and certainly not well enough to sing.

Then I bought the Koa version but it didn't sit right with me for some reason. This thing really feels good and sounds great. I'm blown away.

I'm keeping my baby! Plus, the small size of it will let me record more easily in a tighter studio via Studio One, so there's that.

Old 01-15-2024, 02:01 PM

Default a thought

Taylor ships GS Minis with a gig bag. Every single one. Any dealer who tries to charge extra for the bag is trying to scam the customer. I'll wager Taylor would be interested.
Old 01-15-2024, 03:42 PM

Congrats on the GS Mini purchase. I love mine.
Guild Jumbo Junior (2022)
Luna Henna Paradise(2018)
Martin DX Johnny Cash(2019)
Martin 000-18(2019)
Martin 000C Jr-10 (2022)
Zager ZAD800M (2021)
Fender Squier Stratocaster(2009)
Old 01-15-2024, 09:06 PM

Enjoy! I love my mini…hope you have many happy years together!
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C
Old 01-16-2024, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacep0d View Post

I was worried about the narrower nut (I'm used to the 1.75" Martin) and the convex back, but man this teeny little guitar is so comfortable and packs a WALLOP. As is my custom I've pitched the strings down a half step to make it easier to sing the various covers I sing, all sorted by capo in Ultimate Guitar Tabs.

Strings are Martin MA550T Authentic Acoustic Lifespan 2.0 Treated 92/8 Phosphor Bronze and I had it Plek'd by Sweetwater. Action is low and it feels great. Tension isn't too loose with the half step down.

It's a winner!
I’ve lost track over the years as to how many cues I did for work that included my Koa Mini. It plays great, sounds great, it’s natural at recording since physically it’s so easily managed while in front of a mic, and it’s just simply beautiful.

Here’s a little snip I did, ostensibly for some on-air project that must not have been picked up as it’s still listed on my drives as available. As I recall this was a pickup-only recording with no mic. I don’t recall what sample library the cello, bass violin, and string sections came from. It seemed to jell nicely at the time though.

https://soundcloud.com/joseph-hanna/...social_sharing
Old 01-17-2024, 08:27 AM

Congratulations, GS mini punches well above it weight and appearance. When I purchased mine about 4 years ago I played a bunch of them at a single music store. Went home with the one that sounded best to me, a spruce/walnut. I wanted the mahogany so I know what you mean when some guitar "just don't sit right". The mahogany was very good, that one spruce top sounded best. Enjoy it
Old 01-17-2024, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacep0d View Post

It's a winner!
Nice! Congrats

I owned a mini mahogany a few years ago when I was just beginning my guitar journey, then foolishly sold it in favor of another guitar I thought I needed. Fast forward four years and many guitars later, I randomly went into a GC to kill some time and picked up another mini mahogany and was blown away, I hadn’t played one since my early days and couldn’t believe how good it played and sounded. I immediately ordered one to my liking on sweetwater and it is now my number one house player and has been on quite a few trips with me.
Old 01-17-2024, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on your new Taylor!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion