The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-22-2017, 08:46 PM

Default Interior finish?

During a pause while playing, I glanced in the sound hole and a question came to mind. How come the interior wood is never finished? Or is it just a different type of finish than you get on the exterior? Is this where most of the humidity is lost or gained? Presumably the external finish acts like a sealer but I really don’t know. Thanks in advance.
Taylor 814CE
Old 11-22-2017, 09:00 PM

Some do some don't. Tradition says don't, or do, depending. The fact of the matter is that finish, at the film thickness acceptable for guitars (i.e. very thin), does very little anyway in terms of shrinking and swelling of wood, it's great for keeping wood clean though and it makes it look smashing.

Some builders think that a coat of shellac will help slow down drastic environmental changes, that may be true like if you fly from Reno Nevada to New Orleans for a gig, but it's negligible and as a counterpoint other builders think that the finish alters tone for the worse.

You are gonna get a lot of back and forth on this question to the point where it doesn't matter
Old 11-23-2017, 07:47 AM

Default finishing completely

I once asked this questions and got all the answers that seem to be missing so far. You could probably search and find it. My thought was that if the interior was finished, it would less affected by humidity changes. But I failed to consider that every layer of finish adds weight (and cost, since it takes time) and the heavier the finish, the less response and tone you are apt to get. Most builders did not feel it did any good, but it was not completely one-sided; there were a few nay-sayers.

And of course you are putting finish on a part that no one sees, a part that does not need the protection which finish affords.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:51 AM

I don't really know but I am going to guess its the same reason they don't paint the inside of a barn. It doesn't need to be pretty.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 11-23-2017, 07:52 AM

The original 60s Yamaha FG series were lacquered internally. They smelt glorious when new!
Old 11-23-2017, 08:35 AM

Default Interior finish?

Somogyi finishes the inside. Looks cool, smells great, perhaps adds a bit of glassiness to the tone?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion