The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-28-2014, 06:42 PM

Default Trying to decide on a Breedlove or a Tak

Hello, I am new here, I think. Cant remember if I was a member in the past or not. But I played for over 30 years, gave it up 3 1/2 years ago, sold off all my guitars, about 15 or so, amps, all equipment and actually just gave the last of it away a year ago. Even deleted and threw away my Cakewalk.

I was walking past our local GC a couple of weeks ago, going to Toys-R-Us and the door was open, so I walked in just to see what was new and picked up a guitar and.....now I want another one.

I decided not to spend a ton of money since I do not know how much I will get back into it. But I was hoping for some advice. Out of it for three years, things change.

I am going for an A/E. My favorites in the past were always Tak's. Almost all of my Tak's were purchased from GC and the last two, one was an EG330SC and one Auditorium model. But they no longer carry them in store, which kind of shocked me. The guy said they can special order them, but other than their house brand (Cant remember which it was) they primarily carry Yamaha. Almost every guitar in the Acoustic room other than a few Martins, one Breedlove and some other brands like Fender were Yamaha's.

I know Yamaha is a premier Piano maker, never considered them much for Acoustics, about on the same level as the lower end Fenders, but I was told they have exceeded sound quality of the Taks. I dont go by the word of a salesman who sells primairly one brand of acoustic.

So I have narrowed it down to three. My budget it under $700. I would like some opinions. And thanks in advance.

In no particular order.

Martin D1 and add my own pickup.
Tak GD30
Breedlove AD/SM25.

I have played and like all three, and they are within my price range. But one question I have is on the Breedlove. On that Model I will buy used, the other two new. Someone I know has one, in like new condition for $450. Everywhere I look the prices on the AD/SM25 ranges all over the place. I have seen them as low as $350 and as high as $800. I have never owned a Breedlove but have heard good things about them. Is $450 on an as new AD/SM25 a fair price?

Also, any opinions on Blueridge generally? I have to make a decision pretty quick on the Breedlove since every time I make a decision used it's too late because I take too much time thinking about it.

Again, thanks in advance.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:46 PM

IMO, guitars vary so much from unit to unit, both in sound and playability, that I'd try every one that fit into your budget, and maybe a couple that stretched it a little, play the daylights out of each, listen to someone else play them, then buy the one that "speaks" to you, regardless of what it is.

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum
Old 09-28-2014, 06:54 PM

Between Breedlove and Takamene I would go with Breedlove everytime, especially the recent US made guitars. My opinion of Blueridge is less than favorable but some here like them. Just be sure you play it before buying as they can be very inconsistent.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:28 PM

In my opinion, the best acoustic you can get new for under $700
is the new Yamaha ARE LS-16 M
Old 09-28-2014, 07:30 PM

If you buy Breedlove,, buy one made in America. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:33 PM

Default Hey

I have owned each one of them and I still have Breedlove, it's a ceder too and sounds very warm and playes smooth, I had a Santa Fe Tak and was nice but the Breedlove takes the cake in my opinion.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:38 PM

Having owned both over the years, I'd usually go with the Breedlove. It depends on which sounds better to you, though.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion