The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-28-2014, 06:11 PM

Default What Alvarez model is equal to Yamaha fg730s?

Hello i owned a Alvarez guitar many years back,dont remember the model,i want to buy me a new acoustic or near new,i been playing a yamaha fg730s alot and would like to know what alvarez acoustic compares to the Yamaha FG730s or is a bit better?Also should i buy used from ebay,iknow its kinda hit or miss,been looking at some of the older made in Japan ones.
thanks,
JW
Old 09-28-2014, 06:38 PM

Default What Alvarez model is equal to Yamaha fg730s?

Alvarez AD60.. Though I think they are superior to the FG730s. But that is just my opinion.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:24 PM

I own an FG730s. Great guitar. I think its the Toyota Corolla of the guitar world. Does the job, looks good, does not cost alot and almost indestructible. I also own an Alvarez/Yairi. Does it sound better? Well, different for sure,but better?, thats up to you. Be careful about buying older Yamahas anywhere. If you cant inspect it first hand, or its from a dealer with return policy, dont do it. Lots of older guitars have neck angle problems that are expensive to correct. Same goes for Alvarez too. The newer Alavrez that I have played are very good but I do prefer the FG730s. For about 300, hard to beat.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:44 PM

If you have an Alvarez dealer in your area, go in, play every artist series you can lay hands on. If you go for a model that is sans electronics, you can get away in the $300 neighborhood...
If you are patient, and extremely lucky, you can probably find a good older Yairi for around $500. But as has been stated above, you need to see, try, and inspect...

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 09-29-2014, 12:06 AM

I recommend used or vintage. Alvarez is a great guitar.
Dan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion