The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-28-2014, 03:51 PM

Default Alvarez AP-66 or Recording King RP10

I think I have these 2 guitars (AP66 and RP10) nailed down for a fingerstyle blues guitar. I am really enjoying this style and want a guitar which offers a little more in the way of finger-style play-ability and maybe a more blues type sound and body style. Eventually I would love to get a more quality guitar but want to beat around with one of these for the time being. Your thoughts?
Never played either but listened to the AP66 and the lower end RP06 (no RP10s on youtube)
Thanks,
Gene
Old 09-28-2014, 04:20 PM

I've never played these exact models so take what I say next with that in mind.

I prefer a very strong fundamental for acoustic blues without a lot of lush overtones. Given that I know the bigger brothers of the recording king line tend to give you a lot of overtones (relative to most others in their price range) so they make great fingerstyle guitars but are not my preference for blues. The Alvarez Ap60s I have played had much stronger fundamentals and I'd assume the solid hog top on the 66 would add to that strong fundamental so based solely on this I'd say the Alvarez is the better choice. Do note a lot of people seem to like the nicer guitars with a fuller sound for modern blues playing it just isnt quite my cup of tea. If you plan to do more than just blues I'd take the rk because I believe they lend them selves better to versatility.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:28 PM

I've just picked up an RP-06 (the solid top, laminate back) and I can't stop playing it! They are a lot of guitar for the money, so much bass and pretty highs. These are very lively and lightly built instruments.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:32 PM

thanks for the reply. This guitar would be strictly for fingersyle blues with and without slide. My DN3 will do everything else for the time being. So the RP10 is all solid vr. the AP66 with laminate back and sides. Is this a concern? Also the RK has a longer scale I believe which I think I would like a short scale for blues. thoughts?
Old 09-28-2014, 04:50 PM

RP-06 is also laminate back and sides and, because of this, is less expensive than the RP-10, which is all solid. Have you considered Recording King's Dirty 30's series? They're only $199, have a solid top w/bone nut and saddle and have that one dimensional, but cool, old-time blues kind of sound.

Of the three guitars, the RP-10 is the best guitar all the way around, but if that one dimensional boxy sound is what you're after then you're better off with the Dirty 30's RPH-05 Single O.

RPH-05 (vintage sunburst only, old style large fretboard markers, 1 11/16" nut, RK Crown Headstock): $199
RP-06 (natural only, no fretboard markers, 1 3/4" nut, slotted unbranded headstock): $299
RP-10 (natural only, small fretboard markers, 1 3/4" nut, Martin paddle style headstock): $399

All three have the longer 25.4" scale length. I own the RPH-05 and do not find it the least bit hard to play. It delivers that old blues sound perfectly...and it looks the part, too.

Last edited by cliffenstein; 09-28-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:00 PM

I have an Alverez AP66Sb. It's a good little guitar. I am currently using it when I go to a group lesson in Piedmont Blues - fingers type. Most of the other participants have Drednaughts. The instructor was talking about what type of guitar was best to learn blues finger style on and he pointed to the AP66sb. That was his opinion. I feel blues can be played on any guitar. None the less the
AP66 sb Make a great little blues box without breaking the bank. Especially, if you plan to get a better guitar at a later date.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:27 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I'm looking to play the Alvarez AP860SB. Its all hog, might have that blues sound you're looking for. I have a few more places to look to see if they have one to play. I played the AP910, it was pretty good.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 09-28-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:36 PM

Those guitars will both be great sounding for the price. I own a RK RO-10 and ROS-06 and a RP-06.... Also an alvarez I like the value recording king instruments are. That being said my alvarez is a fine piece also... But more of a strummer
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Smokerblacker
Old 09-28-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffenstein View Post
RP-06 is also laminate back and sides and, because of this, is less expensive than the RP-10, which is all solid. Have you considered Recording King's Dirty 30's series? They're only $199, have a solid top w/bone nut and saddle and have that one dimensional, but cool, old-time blues kind of sound.
I would not choose the Dirty 30 series over the Alvarez or the RK RP10. It's sounds cheap to me and you get exactly what you pay for. Plus they have a 1 11/16 nut width which is not ideal for many when it comes to finger picking. Stick with either of the two you mentioned though I would lean towards the RK RP10.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I would not choose the Dirty 30 series over the Alvarez or the RK RP10. It's sounds cheap to me and you get exactly what you pay for. Plus they have a 1 11/16 nut width which is not ideal for many when it comes to finger picking. Stick with either of the two you mentioned though I would lean towards the RK RP10.
Paul,

Are you on the "Dirty 30's suck" police squad or something? Dang, dude...I'm starting to feel like you're following me around.

You do understand that this guy is specifically referring to a type of sound that these guitars deliver.

Please note that I did discuss the RP-06 and the RP-10 as well and noted clearly that the RP-10 was the best guitar of all three, I even went so far as to include the nut width of all three models.

Furthermore, I play almost exclusively finger style and have absolutely no problem playing the Dirty 30's cleanly.

Last edited by cliffenstein; 09-28-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:36 PM

Default Alvarez AP-66 or Recording King RP10

Didn't like the 2 1/8" string spacing at the bridge on the AP70 I had for finger style.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:39 PM

Two other ideas is that tanglewood and sigma (maybe kindred I can't recall which) both offer smaller all hog guitars in a similar price range the tanglewood has solid top and back also
Old 09-28-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffenstein View Post
Paul,

Are you on the "Dirty 30's suck" police squad or something? Dang, dude...I'm starting to feel like you're following me around.

LOL!!! Cliff.....get the feeling you're being watched?
Old 09-28-2014, 09:38 PM

I know jpd!

Anywhere...here are a few sound samples:

RPH-05 (Dirty 30's Single O):
https://alan-nelson-texas.wistia.com/medias/2evygs3efi

RP-06:
https://alan-nelson-texas.wistia.com/medias/vu0bu6u05c

There's another option as well and that's The Loar LO-16. It has a solid spruce top, a bone nut and saddle, is short scale (34.75") and has the wider 1.75" nut (the scale length and nut width is identical to the guitars that Robert Johnson played). People around here like these guitars a lot. They are available in natural and black. Here's a clip:

LO-16
https://alan-nelson-texas.wistia.com/medias/f0dmu5r60f

I think The Loar sounds slightly better then either of the 2 Recording King models listed above, but I'm really into aesthetic details. I don't dig the pickguard shape, the headstock shape or the fact that it's not available in vintage sunburst. Also, it's an OO, not a Single O, so it's a touch bigger. It also costs about the same as the all-solid Recording King (RP-10), but has laminated back and sides. Still...it's a very good option for you to consider.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:16 AM

I don't own the exact guitar models you are looking at, but I do own several that are pretty close. I own a Alvarez AP70, Recording Kings RD10/ROS-06, and a Dirty Thirty.

I've never been very good at judging which guitar sounds the best, they all sound different, and I like the way each of them sounds. Soundwise, I really can't say you should get a pepperoni pizza, you may happen to like mushrooms.

From a build quality perspective, I'd say the Alvarez is the best built, followed closely by the RD10/ROS06, with the Dirty Thirty coming in a somewhat distant third. To me, the Dirty Thirty looks and feels like a cheap guitar, not that there is anything wrong with that. I personally like it for exactly what it is.

If it helps, I have sound clips and specs for each of the above on my blog, if you'd like to compare and contrast them -

http://bucketlistguitar.blogspot.com/

Have fun, I'm sure you will be happy with whatever choice you make.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion