The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-27-2014, 07:32 PM

Default For those that can't sing

For those that can't sing, is your playing style your voice?
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 09-27-2014, 07:57 PM

I can sing--I have been a tenor in a church choir in the past. However, my preference with guitar is to be an instrumental player. I just don't want to be a "strum & singer" although most folks would likely prefer that. In my area, if you really want to perform, then you had better know how to sing. That said, I don't really care if I play out again, but I have found some regular gigs in praise music things at church. While everyone else is thrashing away and singing, I am free to play a melody line for folks to follow and am free to ad lib around the melody, add different finger style licks, descants, and so forth. It adds a different dimension if you do it right. To answer your question more directly, the guitar is not really a substitute for my voice. I can do things technically with the guitar with different runs, intervals, hammer-ons, etc that I could never do vocally. Left to my own devices, I play a lot of jazz and classical, where singing is not needed, so I guess that contaminates my ability to advance as a singer.

Jon
Old 09-27-2014, 08:00 PM

I cannot sing that's why I play finger style arrangements of songs. So I guess in a way that's my voice.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:09 PM

I can't sing, but if people want me to play and sing, I'll do it. Not my fault they have no taste! I like playing songs and I don't like most instrumental guitar, so if someone doesn't like it, too bad.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:11 PM

An operation on my throat has left me without the ability to sing. To compensate, my fingerstyle of playing has become more classical-like in that I have had to put the melody in the guitar along with the accompaniment. I've been a songwriter all my life, now I have to think like a composer.
Garcia #2 classical
Cordoba C10 Luthier Series
Tacoma Olympia OB3CE acoustic bass

"I don't care what style you want to play. If you want to master good guitar tone, master preparation, attack and release first." ~ Paul Guma
Old 09-27-2014, 08:47 PM

I can't sing either (and if you want proof that I can't you are more than welcome to check out my submissions to the monthly contests). I do a lot of instrumental and classical type stuff myself. It makes up for it.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:52 PM

I can not sing which is a good thing .singers and trumpet players get on my nerves
Old 09-27-2014, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Can't sing either, so therefore fingerstyle.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-27-2014, 09:08 PM

I can do finger style but that is worked in just to show off really. I prefer just soloing on my electric or my bass while my keyboard/bass player backs me up.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:29 PM

I sing like a mofo. Nobody can stop me. They've tried.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:42 PM

I can't sing, but that's never stopped me from getting on stage and singing my songs. I think too many people worry too much about their singing. In all sincerity, they probably sound just fine. Don't expect yourself to sound like your favorite singer. Don't try to sound like your favorite singer. Don't expect to sound like the version of a song that sold millions of record. Just sing in key and sound like who you are. You'll be fine. Remember, sing in a key that you can easily reach all the notes with.

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:24 PM

I'm like Perry Como without the Perry
Old 09-27-2014, 10:29 PM

I am also not a singer....that is why i play fingerstyle, and learn to play melody on guitar, so yes, guitar is my voice.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:53 AM

I sing like nobody else is home..and if they don't like it they can leave the room, like my dog does....I guess he thinks I'm scolding him.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:59 AM

I have an awful singing voice and must go instrumental. I've thought about pairing up with a singer, but I got burned pretty bad in past bands. Solo fingerstyle it is.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion